Validity of evidence supporting souls and life after death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GirgleMirt

GirgleMirt

Audioholic
Not to sidetrack another discussion, I had made this comment:
It's funny because at one point, it seems like every time someone is losing an argument, comes silly questions about the validity of everything. Just, you know, to hint that actually there's many unknowns and that renders the whole discussion and points made invalid.
And made this imaginary dialog, which in fact really isn't too far off to other discussions I've had in the past, to illustrate a silly example of someone irrationally questioning something else because he cannot rationally support his argument:

"How do you know there's no life after death and no souls?". "Science knows a lot about physiology and workings of living beings, never was anything to hint something like souls existed." "Science has been wrong before, at one point they thought the atom was the smallest thing" or "There's a LOT that science doesn't know!"
(referring to our knowledge of what is life, workings of the brain, knowledge of anatomy of ours and of different species, etc.)

Succeeding comment:
LOL this is almost comical. You see I have historical text called the bible, 2000 years of church tradition and personal experience to defend the position that their is life after death. Not to mention many other people's experiences. Yet I suppose you question their validity. If you do then you are guilty of the same logical fallacy.
So not wanting to sidetrack the other discussion, thought it would wise to create another separate thread for this topic. I'd be very curious to read what people have to say on the subject, and will try to stay out of this discussion for as long as I can ;)

Discuss! :)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
You don't question the validity of what you read according to the previous thread so this post makes no sense.;)

Z

Zaluss

Audioholic
Just because you have 2000 years of pilled written and obviously tainted of church history and extremely bias personal experiences doesn't make that the truth or anywhere close to evidence.

I'm saying this as a practicing christian.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
There may be life after death, there may not be. When I'm dead, I'll find out.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
The Bible is a book that must be taken on faith and cannot be viewed as fact. Emperor Nero had a huge hand in forming the Bible as it is known today. Many books have been lost or banned and there are many, many contradictions in it.

There was a very interesting show on either Nat Geo/Discovery/ or Science Channel that examined the history of the Bible, events recorded in it, and natural events recorded by other groups. Part of the show also went over the creation of the sacred text and how it was changed according to political climate and who was in power.

Plain and simple, faith is something that is unexplainable and up to each individual to have or to not have with the Bible. The Bible cannot be taken as pure fact.

-pat

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
In the BS Department, a businessman can't hold a candle to a clergyman. 'Cause I gotta tell you the truth, folks. When it comes to BS, big-time, major league BS, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims: religion. No contest. No contest. Religion. Religion easily has the greatest BS story ever told.

Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But he loves you.

He loves you, and he needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow he just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good BS. Holy S!

-- George Carlin, Politically Incorrect, May 29, 1997

If anyone finds this insulting, maybe they need to consider how strong their faith really is.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I just find it very ironic - the fact we having region related conversations on forums dedicated to test everything and not take ANYTHING on believe alone :D

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
In the BS Department, a businessman can't hold a candle to a clergyman. 'Cause I gotta tell you the truth, folks. When it comes to BS, big-time, major league BS, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims: religion. No contest. No contest. Religion. Religion easily has the greatest BS story ever told.

Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But he loves you.

He loves you, and he needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow he just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good BS. Holy S!

-- George Carlin, Politically Incorrect, May 29, 1997

If anyone finds this insulting, maybe they need to consider how strong their faith really is.
Do you really think that all clergymen believe and preach what George said? I can assure you, that fire 'n brimstone, "my way or the highway" TV preachers are not the universal model for modern clergy.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
GO-NAD!, I'm simply offering another viewpoint. What I believe or don't believe, to me, is irrelevant in the grand scheme of life.

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
There sure are a lot of people in this thread going to hell.

Zing.

Tarub

Tarub

Senior Audioholic
Beware!!

BEWARE!!!

Female aliens are invading the earth and kidnapping smart, handsome men with big d!@ks.....

You're not in any danger, I just posted this to say goodbye.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
oh wow. instead of politics, let's argue about religion.

it's too early in the AM to decide mass banning or a simple lock.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I think a lock would suffice. Though people that only start arguments that aren't even audio related seem to make no sense to me.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
I take the Stargate point of view for religion. If you don't understand that, you need to watch season 1. There is an episode which explains the shows view of religions and why they were created.

What if we're already in hell and don't know it?
and...
Knowing is half the battle.

-pat

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
What if we're already in hell and don't know it?
I believe in hell on earth (probably located in N. Dakota) and life after death but to address the OP there is no evidence of any souls, ghosts, goblins etc. Was that suppose to be a trick question? Evidence would be proof and you can't have that in a faith based ... something. Words escape me.

I bet you don't tell the people you work with how retarded they are for their religious beliefs. That would get you fired but here it just makes your chicklets red after a bunch of folks get offended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis