Using T-amp in existing system?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Noyt true.

project86 said:
Wow, you guys really don't like the t amps!
It's fine when used in certain appliations where more than a few wattts ofclean power is mandatory. They would be great in amplifying a pair of small speakers for a computer, an MPC3 device or even a television set.

project86 said:
I certainly respect your opinions (espcially since I've never heard one myself).
For all of us here, thanks. We try to give honest, real opinions based in fact, not mythology.

project86 said:
The thing is, all the "audiophile" type of people I've ever dealt with tended to prefer larger prices and more obscure names.).
project86 said:
To think that they would admit that a cheap device outperformed their $500 or $1000 amp just seems silly, Yet that is the sort of claim being made.
See my previous post in this thread for this.

project86 said:
Yes, I know there is a lot of quackery in the hifi world. So much so that it is hard to know what to believe. But the quackery seems to go in an "uphill" direction in regards to price... you think these $200 cables are good? Try these $500 cables. And if you think THOSE are good, try these $1000 cables. And if you think THOSE are good... etc etc.
...and then, call me, I've got a bridge to sell ya. :D

Last edited:
P

project86

Audioholic
markw said:
project86 said:
Wow, you guys really don't like the t amps![p/quote]It's fine when used in certain appliations where more than a few wattts ofclean power is mandatory. Thgey would be great in amplifying a pair of small speakers for a computer, an MPC3 device or even a television set.

For all of us here, thanks. We try to give honest, real opinions based in fact, not mythology.

See my previous post in this thread for this.

...and then, call me, I've got a bridge to sell ya. :D
Hehe, I didn't say I ever agreed with that "more is better" kind of thinking. I think I will still build the T-amp for myself (it's only $39, not like I can find anything else useful to build for that price) and just fix the MAC1700 ASAP. I am also planning on keeping an eye out for a MAC1700 for myself (or maybe a 1500, either way) because I thoroughly enjoyed it when it was working. Any other models that you could suggest that might be available for a good price?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
models of what?

project86 said:
I am also planning on keeping an eye out for a MAC1700 for myself (or maybe a 1500, either way) because I thoroughly enjoyed it when it was working. Any other models that you could suggest that might be available for a good price?
Enjoy the kit. It's fun to put something together. It's even more fun when it works. ;)

Models of what? I've rarely found a vintage piece I didn't like.

P

project86

Audioholic
Vintage receiver would be great, anything that is notable for quality and availability at a cheap price.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
With vintage, availability and price are catch as catch can.

project86 said:
Vintage receiver would be great, anything that is notable for quality and availability at a cheap price.
I'm a firm believer that the Marantz 22xx series was just about the greatest line ever made, particularly when mated with JBL speakers of the era crates a match made in heaven but other people have different opinions.

but, I wouldn't throw a Pioneer, Kenwood (up to the late 70's), Sansui or Sherwood out of the mix, either.

My current man cave/gym/office system it anchored by a Marantz 2270, which I bought NIB, and a pair of JBL L-26 Decades and that system rocks better than my newer, more expensive systems. ...all I need now is a lava light, a black light and some day-glo posters. ...and my hair to grow back.

It's not like you can go to the store and pick and choose like it's new. If you go for a particular item, you run the risk of being at the mercy of the market. You may pay too much, get a lemon, or both. It's better to see what's out there when you're ready to buy or simply sit back and wait for the right item at the right price. I found my JBL, by sitting back and waiting. It took a a few years, but it came about.

Seriously, a good FM alignment is always recommended after every thirty years or so of use.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis