Using Speaker output for audio to PC- how?

A

alengle

Audiophyte
I have about a hundred cassettes I want to record over to CDs as a surprise for my fiance. My hangup at this point is a hardware issue- my stereo doesn't have and audio output jack. My question is whether I can modify a jack to connect where the speakers would normally go on the stereo. The speaker outputs are quick-clips intended to take bare speaker wire. If this is doable, advice is appreciated- I'm handy with tools, and really don't have much $ to invest in more hardware.
Thanks!
Allie

3beanlimit

Junior Audioholic
Dunno....Used cassette decks are a dime a dozen anymore. Have you thought about getting one off of ebay or out of a hock shop or something?

algernon

algernon

Audioholic
If it has an output for headphones, there is a headphone to rca cable you could get at radio shack.

A

alengle

Audiophyte
Using Speaker output for audio to PC- how? Reply to Thread

I already tried outputting from my headphone jack, and although it sounded ok (_just_ ok) on my speakers, the recording quality was absolutely awful- flat, lots of hissing, no good.

I looked into getting a deck with a dedicated audio output, but they are not that easy to find, and so far non-existant in the under-$100 range.

I just want to take a stab at running wires from the speaker hookup to a jack for the PC port, and need to know if this would work, and which wires would go where.

Thanks again!

Allie

3beanlimit

Junior Audioholic
Well your looking at two different things.

Speaker output would fry your soundcard.

You should be able to find all kinds of decks for under a hunderd bucks....used.

I have a high end Yammy that I've few hours on and it's worth squawt anymore.

Check out Ebay........Really. You'd only need to spend under 50 bucks for what you want. Or check out the hock shops...

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I had a similar situation a few years ago because I found a cassette of an out of print album, but didn't own a cassette deck.

I paid $30 for a single well playback-only cassette deck from Radio Shack. It has the standard L and R analog audio outs. Radio Shack also sells cables with L/R RCA connectors on one end and 1/8" stereo mini on the other - that's all you need to get the audio to your soundcard.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis