Useful Android audio apps

Discussion in 'Lifestyle & Portables' started by rojo, Jan 31, 2018.

1. rojo Audioholic Samurai

rojo
    I'm surprised there isn't already a thread for this. I thought I might recommend a few apps I often use for audio stuff on my Android phone. I'm interested in seeing others' recommendations as well.

Neutralizer

Neutralizer is a 10-band global EQ app. What sets it apart from others is its method of dialing in the curve. The app plays test tones by octave and has the listener dial each band so that the tones play at the same volume. Neutralizer requires minimal permissions, and is offered as a freemium app. The free version allows storing only one profile. The ability to add additional profiles will cost you $5.

If you install it, just be sure to disable any app-specific EQ options within apps that offer it, and you might need to reboot your phone for the Neutralizer EQ to activate.

Musicolet

Musicolet is a free, ad-free music player app for locally stored MP3, FLAC, etc. It's lightweight, intuitive, has a flexible configuration (optional fade in / out, optional remember playback position on resume, etc), and requires minimal permissions. It's completely free, but the author does accept tips.

SoundCloud

... is my favorite streaming service for discovering new music. Free with ads every few songs, or $5 / month gets rid of the ads + allows downloading tracks for offline listening.

Honorable mention: Audio Fx Widget

Before I found Neutralizer, Audio Fx Widget was the EQ app I used most. The widget is completely free, provides a nice interface for manipulating system EQ, and is very lean on its permission demands. However, it offers only 5 bands of equalization, 3 user presets, and the user preset labels can't be changed. Still, if Neutralizer isn't your cup of tea, you might prefer this one.
    rojo,
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. lovinthehd Audioholic Warlord

lovinthehd
    I use an app called BubbleUPnP which allows me to stream content from my pc/drives or the phone (as libraries so to speak) to various avrs/bluray players (renderers) on my network. Pretty handy as a player in general, too. Supports certain other music cloud drive apps too altho haven't used one of those.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. BoredSysAdmin Audioholic Overlord

BoredSysAdmin
    Audiotool - works well with Dayton portable measuring mic
    • Like Like x 2
  4. rojo Audioholic Samurai

rojo
    I've got Audiotool, but I rarely use it. I paid for it, but for a while it was available for free on the Amazon Underground. Too bad it's not available for free any more. I've seen some interesting free alternatives (such as Sound Analyzer App), but Audiotool is the only one I've seen that will let you apply a correction file for a professionally calibrated mic like the Dayton iMM-6.
    rojo,
  5. Eddie14 Enthusiast

Eddie14
    I'm using Soundcloud too, a quick and convenient update on new music!
  6. psbfan9 Audioholic Samurai

psbfan9
    I like SoundHound.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.melodis.midomiMusicIdentifier.freemium&hl=en

Discover
    • Tap the SoundHound button in the app to discover music playing around you! We’ll let you know everything about the song including title, artist, album, and lyrics!
    • Have a song stuck in your head? Press the SoundHound button, sing or hum the tune and we’ll do the rest!
    • Keep track of all your discoveries in your own personal history
    • See the hottest new music across Genre, Global, and Popular charts
    • Find out what’s being played near you and around the world with our Music Map

Play
    • Songs you discover can be played back for free via our built-in YouTube player
    • View lyrics when playing back a song from YouTube
    • SoundHound comes with ‘OK Hound…’, an incredibly fast and accurate way to find great music with your voice. Hound is built with natural language understanding, so speak like you would with a friend.
    • Simply say ‘OK Hound....’ from any screen or tap the microphone on the play page. Once you see the listening panel, you can follow up with commands including:
    • Like Like x 2