Useful Android audio apps

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I'm surprised there isn't already a thread for this. I thought I might recommend a few apps I often use for audio stuff on my Android phone. I'm interested in seeing others' recommendations as well.

Neutralizer

Neutralizer is a 10-band global EQ app. What sets it apart from others is its method of dialing in the curve. The app plays test tones by octave and has the listener dial each band so that the tones play at the same volume. Neutralizer requires minimal permissions, and is offered as a freemium app. The free version allows storing only one profile. The ability to add additional profiles will cost you $5.

If you install it, just be sure to disable any app-specific EQ options within apps that offer it, and you might need to reboot your phone for the Neutralizer EQ to activate.

Musicolet

Musicolet is a free, ad-free music player app for locally stored MP3, FLAC, etc. It's lightweight, intuitive, has a flexible configuration (optional fade in / out, optional remember playback position on resume, etc), and requires minimal permissions. It's completely free, but the author does accept tips.

SoundCloud

... is my favorite streaming service for discovering new music. Free with ads every few songs, or $5 / month gets rid of the ads + allows downloading tracks for offline listening.

Honorable mention: Audio Fx Widget

Before I found Neutralizer, Audio Fx Widget was the EQ app I used most. The widget is completely free, provides a nice interface for manipulating system EQ, and is very lean on its permission demands. However, it offers only 5 bands of equalization, 3 user presets, and the user preset labels can't be changed. Still, if Neutralizer isn't your cup of tea, you might prefer this one.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I use an app called BubbleUPnP which allows me to stream content from my pc/drives or the phone (as libraries so to speak) to various avrs/bluray players (renderers) on my network. Pretty handy as a player in general, too. Supports certain other music cloud drive apps too altho haven't used one of those.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Audiotool - works well with Dayton portable measuring mic
I've got Audiotool, but I rarely use it. I paid for it, but for a while it was available for free on the Amazon Underground. Too bad it's not available for free any more. I've seen some interesting free alternatives (such as Sound Analyzer App), but Audiotool is the only one I've seen that will let you apply a correction file for a professionally calibrated mic like the Dayton iMM-6.

Eddie14

Eddie14

Enthusiast
I'm using Soundcloud too, a quick and convenient update on new music!

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I like SoundHound.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.melodis.midomiMusicIdentifier.freemium&hl=en

Discover
• Tap the SoundHound button in the app to discover music playing around you! We’ll let you know everything about the song including title, artist, album, and lyrics!
• Have a song stuck in your head? Press the SoundHound button, sing or hum the tune and we’ll do the rest!
• Keep track of all your discoveries in your own personal history
• See the hottest new music across Genre, Global, and Popular charts
• Find out what’s being played near you and around the world with our Music Map

Play
• Songs you discover can be played back for free via our built-in YouTube player
• View lyrics when playing back a song from YouTube
• SoundHound comes with ‘OK Hound…’, an incredibly fast and accurate way to find great music with your voice. Hound is built with natural language understanding, so speak like you would with a friend.
• Simply say ‘OK Hound....’ from any screen or tap the microphone on the play page. Once you see the listening panel, you can follow up with commands including:

M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
Hi All

this is my first post here so I am not sure if I should post it somewhere else:

I used to be spending time and money on listening to the best quality of musics but for a decade or so just limited myself in whatever was avialble like smart phones, normal headphones...
last months I wanted to buy a new wireless headphone for my TV and after reading forums and little by little all the thirst and eager to get the best Audio quality came back to me again...
as I dont have much options for a proper Audio system i just could get the below combination :
HD800s + Chord Mojo... it seems not too bad but as I will be mobile I want to use my Samsung Note8 as the source...I just transfered my Flac files to it but not sure what would be the best app to get the most out of them to Mojo and the HD800S ?
I already download and install HF Player of Onkyo but I am not sure if it can transfer all bits of my flac music to the Mojo...
I appreciate if you can share your experiences and suggestions

Cheers
Mason

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Hi All

this is my first post here so I am not sure if I should post it somewhere else:

I used to be spending time and money on listening to the best quality of musics but for a decade or so just limited myself in whatever was avialble like smart phones, normal headphones...
last months I wanted to buy a new wireless headphone for my TV and after reading forums and little by little all the thirst and eager to get the best Audio quality came back to me again...
as I dont have much options for a proper Audio system i just could get the below combination :
HD800s + Chord Mojo... it seems not too bad but as I will be mobile I want to use my Samsung Note8 as the source...I just transfered my Flac files to it but not sure what would be the best app to get the most out of them to Mojo and the HD800S ?
I already download and install HF Player of Onkyo but I am not sure if it can transfer all bits of my flac music to the Mojo...
I appreciate if you can share your experiences and suggestions

Cheers
Mason
Greets Mason, and welcome. Give VLC a try. It gives you the option to choose analog out or digital. It'll also play the higher res FLAC files I couldn't get Musicolet or other players to play. It's free in the Play Store.

M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
Greets Mason, and welcome. Give VLC a try. It gives you the option to choose analog out or digital. It'll also play the higher res FLAC files I couldn't get Musicolet or other players to play. It's free in the Play Store.
Thanks Rojo
I used to use VLC in my laptop but never with my Note 8, will give it a try...also I need to ask a question:
my question would be very basic here but I am curious to know as I am using Chord Mojo and that's DAC/AMP right? so why should a player be important here? is it not that DAC would do the job to convert the Digital to Analog Signal and the Amplifier to make it powerful enough to hear through my HD800S? What am i missing here ?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks Rojo
I used to use VLC in my laptop but never with my Note 8, will give it a try...also I need to ask a question:
my question would be very basic here but I am curious to know as I am using Chord Mojo and that's DAC/AMP right? so why should a player be important here? is it not that DAC would do the job to convert the Digital to Analog Signal and the Amplifier to make it powerful enough to hear through my HD800S? What am i missing here ?
To be honest, I haven't played any with digital output from my phone. I go analog via headphone jack -> miniDSP HA-DSP -> Fiio A5. My miniDSP does offer a DAC but I haven't messed with it. I always use my phone's built-in DAC. I keep a Qi inductive charging tag adhered to the back of my phone and plugged into its USB port, so digital out isn't really an option for me.

I only mentioned VLC because it's the only Android media player app of which I'm aware that offers a selectable option for digital or analog, including any paid app I've tried. It's under the hamburger menu --> Extra Settings --> Audio. I figured since you were putting emphasis on using a DAC that having a digital out option would be a worthwhile feature.

M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
Thanks Rojo

I can understand ( on surface at least) the role of DAC and AMP but I don't see the role and importance of the source ( hardware) and player ( software) in the equation, is there any link or topics could explain this?

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Bump...

I've been curious (leave it alone monkey) as to what phone apps AHer's are using lately. Mostly measurement / quicky calibration apps are what I've been looking at

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Bump...

I've been curious (leave it alone monkey) as to what phone apps AHer's are using lately. Mostly measurement / quicky calibration apps are what I've been looking at
I down loaded this to help me calibrate the record/play speed of my cassette decks. The tape had a 3.1KHz signal recorded on it and I cranked the volume on the AVR to drown out any background noise. I saw a 2.8KHz on one deck so I adusted the pot on the motor until it read 3.1KHz.

Attachments

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Just received a dayton imm-6 mic... Now to find an app I like to do quicky measurements.

T

tonyspizza

Enthusiast
Jetaudio for playing files. It has an equalizer, supports lossless files and it can be used offline. I'm big on that.

uFXloops studio for making music. It can get a bit complicated for newbies but if you are familiar with their desktop stuff, its an easy transition.

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Just received a dayton imm-6 mic... Now to find an app I like to do quicky measurements.

How accurate would you say this mic is? Would you say it is enough for REQ?

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
How accurate would you say this mic is? Would you say it is enough for REQ?
I don't think so... But not sure. I got it and then got sidetracked...

I need to get around to playing with that and my Denon x3600h's Audessy and REW.

I've been really lazy.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis