Used RX-A3010 for $600

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a chance to snag one. The seller wants to upgrade to an AVR with Dolby Atmos . I will never go to ATMOS at the stage in life that I am now. I would use this unit to replace my RX-V1800 and use the RX-V1800 to replace my non HDMI equipped RX-V1500. Would you spring for this ? Is there an advantage in buying one?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I could also snag a HTR6190, the RX-V1800 quivalent for $350. I'm kinda torn at which way to go.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I could also snag a HTR6190, the RX-V1800 quivalent for $350. I'm kinda torn at which way to go.
I would save the money and go with the HTR-6190. Yamaha makes very good receivers and either would be good.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The RX-A3010 is worth the additional $250 as it is not only a flag ship model but a few years younger.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
As a counterpoint, I would ask why are you considering upgrading? Is there something about the 3010 that you would appreciate? Perhaps the RC lights up?:cool: I'm only partially joking, that could be HUGE if you spend time in the dark watching movies and your eyes are getting old!

Part of me thinks it better to wait until that important reason to upgrade manifests, whether it is some new feature you recognize or a failure of your current gear.

I don't know Yamaha's AVR's but some things I appreciate in the more modern Marantz/Denons are:
1) Audyssey DynamicEQ (my Marantz SR-6001 predates it)
2) Higher levels of Audyssey have trickled into lower priced units, primarily, this means better EQ of the subs, which is arguably the most relevant place to apply RoomEQ!
3) Setting configurations are unique to the source (if I turn my subs down for the CD player, and turn them up for the DVD player, they will be that way whenever I revisit either source). My DVD and CD players are actually one unit, but I ran the Toslink into the AVR's CD input and the HDMI into the AVR's BD input.
4) Wireless connectivity - not really a big deal, since a Roku or Amazon Fire does the same thing, though I want to believe the genuine antennae on the back of the AVR pull a stronger signal than the ones hidden in the streaming boxes.
5) ECO mode - I like it because I use external amplifiers and it allows me to run my AVR 5-10 degrees cooler. I still use the AVR's output for surround channels, but just am not too worried that the SQ of the surrounds might not be perfect. I have yet to read any objective lab report on how this effects SQ.
6) Oh Yeah! - the RC lights UP!!! But if that is the only thing, get a Harmony RC!
7) Fade-in when you unmute the AVR.

If I was more techno savvy, I might be into streaming from a computer or tablet to the AVR, but for now, wireless is equivalent to a Roku.

I'm betting, as competitive as the AVR market is, my list for Marantz/Denon is not far off from parallel features on Yamaha.
Do yours have an equivalent to Dynamic EQ? I believe Yamaha calls theirs "YPAO Volume". That is a feature I would want if you are going to swap AVR's.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As a counterpoint, I would ask why are you considering upgrading? Is there something about the 3010 that you would appreciate? Perhaps the RC lights up?:cool: I'm only partially joking, that could be HUGE if you spend time in the dark watching movies and your eyes are getting old!

Part of me thinks it better to wait until that important reason to upgrade manifests, whether it is some new feature you recognize or a failure of your current gear.

I don't know Yamaha's AVR's but some things I appreciate in the more modern Marantz/Denons are:
1) Audyssey DynamicEQ (my Marantz SR-6001 predates it)
2) Higher levels of Audyssey have trickled into lower priced units, primarily, this means better EQ of the subs, which is arguably the most relevant place to apply RoomEQ!
3) Setting configurations are unique to the source (if I turn my subs down for the CD player, and turn them up for the DVD player, they will be that way whenever I revisit either source). My DVD and CD players are actually one unit, but I ran the Toslink into the AVR's CD input and the HDMI into the AVR's BD input.
4) Wireless connectivity - not really a big deal, since a Roku or Amazon Fire does the same thing, though I want to believe the genuine antennae on the back of the AVR pull a stronger signal than the ones hidden in the streaming boxes.
5) ECO mode - I like it because I use external amplifiers and it allows me to run my AVR 5-10 degrees cooler. I still use the AVR's output for surround channels, but just am not too worried that the SQ of the surrounds might not be perfect. I have yet to read any objective lab report on how this effects SQ.
6) Oh Yeah! - the RC lights UP!!! But if that is the only thing, get a Harmony RC!
7) Fade-in when you unmute the AVR.

If I was more techno savvy, I might be into streaming from a computer or tablet to the AVR, but for now, wireless is equivalent to a Roku.

I'm betting, as competitive as the AVR market is, my list for Marantz/Denon is not far off from parallel features on Yamaha.
Do yours have an equivalent to Dynamic EQ? I believe Yamaha calls theirs "YPAO Volume". That is a feature I would want if you are going to swap AVR's.
He's a Yamaha fan, nice try anyway!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm well aware, but since I don;t know Yamaha, I answered it for Marantz Denon.
I may be wrong, but I think any new feature any of the companies come out with will show up in some form within a year on the others.
Thus, I thought it might be relevant.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The upgrade is driven by the lack of HDMI inputs on the RX-V1500 (which I also bought used 3 years ago for $100) and reduce the interconnect complexity on the secondary system. If I get the 3010, then I would use it in my main system and move the 1800 into the secondary system.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I have a chance to snag one. The seller wants to upgrade to an AVR with Dolby Atmos . I will never go to ATMOS at the stage in life that I am now. I would use this unit to replace my RX-V1800 and use the RX-V1800 to replace my non HDMI equipped RX-V1500. Would you spring for this ? Is there an advantage in buying one?
I'd go for it. it's not my money ;)

joking aside, the improved YPAO & networking features alone and the 140W are worth it. the only drawback I would research is the HDMI pass-thru when the AVR is shut-off. I have the 3000 model which doesn't have that feature and annoys the hell out of my missus.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The upgrade is driven by the lack of HDMI inputs on the RX-V1500 (which I also bought used 3 years ago for $100) and reduce the interconnect complexity on the secondary system. If I get the 3010, then I would use it in my main system and move the 1800 into the secondary system.
I think if you listen to classic music that has a lot of dynamic peaks you may hear a difference with the 3010 over the 1500 but probably not over the 1800, otherwise I am sure you already know not to expect any miracle in sound quality, just feature gains.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think $600 is a lot of money for a used AVR w/o any warranty in this class considering that a brand new $1,000 Denon X3300 is on sale for $599. :eek: :D

I think it would be different if it were an open-box item with 3 YR Yamaha Warranty.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think $600 is a lot of money for a used AVR w/o any warranty in this class considering that a brand new $1,000 Denon X3300 is on sale for $599. :eek: :D

I think it would be different if it were an open-box item with 3 YR Yamaha Warranty.
I agree, I just factored in the fact that the OP likes Yamaha a lot. Also keep in mind the 3010 was a flag ship model that sort of built more like a tank so if in good condition and used well below it's rated capability it may last forever.:D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree, I just factored in the fact that the OP likes Yamaha a lot. Also keep in mind the 3010 was a flag ship model that sort of built more like a tank so if in good condition and used well below it's rated capability it may last forever.:D
Maybe I have a misguided trust in the quality of Yamaha's top tier stuff or I have been very lucky in my past purchases. The RX-V1500 has been bullet proof which I purchased 3 years ago for $90. My two Yamaha cassette decks which see regular use have been also been purchased used for $40 and $90 respectively also work flawlessly and are almost 30 years old. I dont need all the features packed in the 3010 although I'm very curious about the upgraded YPAO.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
If you're looking for a benchmark on prices, I paid $600 for a RX-A3000 two years ago, for what it's worth.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe I have a misguided trust in the quality of Yamaha's top tier stuff or I have been very lucky in my past purchases. The RX-V1500 has been bullet proof which I purchased 3 years ago for $90. My two Yamaha cassette decks which see regular use have been also been purchased used for $40 and $90 respectively also work flawlessly and are almost 30 years old. I dont need all the features packed in the 3010 although I'm very curious about the upgraded YPAO.
I have a brother-in-law in Australia who bought his RX-V1500 at launch time so it must have been well over 10 years old. it is still working in perfect condition and looks like new, but then so is my Denon AVR-3805 that is definitely 13 years old as I bought it brand new. I am not sure about the reliability of the newest D&M AVRs, even Yamahas because I feel that they have packed too many things (and channels) in one box now but I am quite sure the 3010, even up to 3060 should still be long lasting if used well within their limits.

Just in case you have a chance to grab the 4308 at say, around the C$400 mark, I can assure you that is also built like a tank and was tested more powerful at lower distortions than equivalent Yamaha's of the same vintage. it doesn't have XT32 subEQHT though, just XT so if the room is not difficult it will be fine otherwise not so much but may still be better than the 3010's improved YPAO. It will most likely not be as good as the latest YPAO version found in the 3060's or newer models.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I see. The MSRP was $2K brand new?

Remember last year when people in the USA could get the $2,500 Denon 4520 brand new from Amazon and Best Buy for $900?

Now if it were a $5,500 Denon 5308 used in good condition for $600, I would buy it. :D

Or that $5K Yamaha Z-9 AVR. Now that was a monster tank. :D

Last edited:
tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Having had both an RX-V1900 and RX-A2000 (very little diff btw the 2000 vs the 3010) in my main theater location, the main difference between them IMO is the improvements in YPAO and the user interface (UI). If you don't have a difficult room to work with as far as EQ is concerned, there's not a sizable difference in performance, both have plenty of clean power and handle the uncompressed audio (Dolby True HD, DTS-HD Master Audio, etc.) formats well.

I still have both of these units in use, 1900 in my bedroom setup and 2000 in our living room/den location, neither of them break a sweat in use with all kinds of set top boxes (Apple TVs, Fire TV, Roku 3) and BR disc players and no HDMI handshake issues to speak of.

If you can part w/the extra $250, I'd say push for the 3010 to avoid any kind of buyer's remorse. Having said that, the 1800 is more than capable and should serve you well. I've also had a RX-V2500 in my HT setup eons ago and still have an RX-V481 handling some light-duty work, none of my Yamaha receivers have given me any headaches along the way. Having done some in-home demos with Denon and Marantz receivers and pre-pros over the years, I always find myself coming back to my Yammys. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis