Urge to upgrade again - For the LAST TIME :)

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Didn't take long for the urge to come back, but since Sandy is leaving GE, it gave me a very poor reason to upgrade, but I guess that's all I needed.

I am going to break open my piggy ban, well actually vaporize it lol.
While I do watch a lot of movies, I am staring to listen to music more and more. After doing some initial research, these are a few I have decided to audition

• Paradigm Persona 5F
  • Focal Katana 3
  • Kef Reference 3
I have auditioned the Persona 5F and remember being blown away. The whole persona line seems to be solid w/exception of their bookshelf speakers which sounded terrible IMO
I have read a lot of positive reviews on the Focal and Kefs, so I have thrown those into the mix. I can get a good deal on the Paradigm as well, which is why its on my list. Would like to have my fronts and center fall under 20k. Though changing from my GE T1s I will probably need to invest in another good sub.

Famous last words "These will be the last speakers I will every own" and at this price point I mean it!

• I would prefer not to go with an online brand, not that they are not as good or better, but I like dealing with a local dealer.
  • If you have alternate suggestions I would be open to consider.
  • I don't think I need to change my Parasound amps, I would hope that they are up to the task
  • These speakers will sit in my Home Theater Room which is 18W x 24L

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Paradigm Persona 5Fs are definitely a killer speaker. Also worthy of inclusion on that list is anything you can demo from RBH, PSB, or Revel. If this system is going to be geared for a single listening position, check out the Polk L800s while you are at it. Also check out the JBL 4367 in this price range if you want crazy wide dynamic range as well as high fidelity.

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
I know you said no internet only...but I'm sure if you contact them, you could get a tour.

Check out JTR. The NOESIS 215RT

Is amazing and their subs are on another level.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
"These will be the last speakers I will every own" and at this price point I mean it!
I might know the feeling of “last speakers I will ever NEED to own”, which started with Siegfried Linkwitz‘s Orion 3.2.1 towers. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
KEF Reference 3:

$14K MSRP
1" Tweeter, 5" Mid, dual 6.5" woofer.
Aesthetics: boxy square

My impression:
Not very impressive based on specs (drivers and size) and aesthetics.

I have not seen measurements. But KEF Reference is known for measuring very accurately. I used to own the KEF Reference 201/2, which might be the most accurately measured speakers on Stereophile.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Focal Kanta 3:

$13K MSRP
1" Tweeter, 6.5" Mid, dual 8" woofer.
Aesthetics: has some shapes/angles, not plain boxy square

Impression: More impressive specs than KEF Reference 3. Aesthetics also more impressive than KEF. I think historically not as accurate measurements as KEF, but still very accurate.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Paradigm Persona 5F:

$17K? Oh hells no. :D
1" Tweeter, 7" Mid, three 7" woofers.
Aesthetics: some shape, not too boxy/square.

Pretty accurate until after 8kHz. Some people might have issue with the rise in treble from 6-10kHz.

Impression: For $17K MSRP, I expect a lot more. It doesn't "look" like a "17K speaker to me. Specs are kind of similar to the Focal, except the Focal is $4K less MSRP.

So of the 3, I would probably go with the Focal.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
God, it never ends does it? I just went through this too. Good luck man, you've made some great choices!

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I know you said no internet only...but I'm sure if you contact them, you could get a tour.

Check out JTR. The NOESIS 215RT

Is amazing and their subs are on another level.
I actually read a review on those, but they are just too damn big lol :) Everything I have read on them do complement their sound quality.

K

kini

Full Audioholic

and save some money.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Paradigm Persona 5F:

$17K? Oh hells no. :D
1" Tweeter, 7" Mid, three 7" woofers.
Aesthetics: some shape, not too boxy/square.

Pretty accurate until after 8kHz. Some people might have issue with the rise in treble from 6-10kHz.

Impression: For $17K MSRP, I expect a lot more. It doesn't "look" like a "17K speaker to me. Specs are kind of similar to the Focal, except the Focal is $4K less MSRP.

So of the 3, I would probably go with the Focal.
I would get at least 25% discount on the Paradigms which is why I threw them into the mix and a few reviews rated them as one of the most neutral speakers, but I definitely see your points.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

The Kanta-3 FR seems pretty accurate at +/- 2.5dB.

And it even looks like a little baby Focal Utopia. :D

So I think my initial impression is still right. The Kanta-3 has best aesthetics, accurate +/-2.5dB FR, and price.

Last edited:
John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai

The Kanta-3 FR seems pretty accurate at +/- 2.5dB.

And it even looks like a little baby Focal Utopia. :D

I think it is funny that in What Hi-Fi's review, the "Against" column lists "No bi-wiring". Gee, do you think Focal, the designer of these fine speakers, just may know something y'all don't? :rolleyes: Then again, I agree about the grills as my (hopefully outgoing) Choras have the same - they have to be oriented pretty much perfectly or they drop right to the ground! No a huge issue, though...

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
I actually read a review on those, but they are just too damn big lol :) Everything I have read on them do complement their sound quality.
JTR does make smaller towers. You may want to email JTR and discuss then difference.

Will you be using a Subwoofer?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I think it is funny that in What Hi-Fi's review, the "Against" column lists "No bi-wiring". Gee, do you think Focal, the designer of these fine speakers, just may know something y'all don't? :rolleyes: Then again, I agree about the grills as my (hopefully outgoing) Choras have the same - they have to be oriented pretty much perfectly or they drop right to the ground! No a huge issue, though...
Would love to own the Utopia (was my top 3 or 4 speakers if I had the budget) but yes, I am trying to find a place to demo. Trying to find the Katana 3 to demo but I don't think I can find any places near Chicago that do.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I don't bi-wire, don't plan to either. I may buy monoblock amps though down the road.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think it is funny that in What Hi-Fi's review, the "Against" column lists "No bi-wiring". Gee, do you think Focal, the designer of these fine speakers, just may know something y'all don't?
The funny thing is I have listed the ability to bi-wire or bi-amp as a con in some speakers that I have reviewed. :p It's far more likely to cause problems than help anything.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis