upgrading theater room

S

souvlakipita

Enthusiast
Only problem is he wants to do Atmos so going higher with the surrounds will do more harm than good imo.
Definitely agree about LCR though. I would try some diy as you mentioned or some jbl Pro speakers up there, and replace the rears with something from the studio line.
Only problem is he wants to do Atmos so going higher with the surrounds will do more harm than good imo.
Definitely agree about LCR though. I would try some diy as you mentioned or some jbl Pro speakers up there, and replace the rears with something from the studio line.
the JBL pro looks like some top line speakers for sound - how would they compare vs the klipsch ultra thx2?

S

souvlakipita

Enthusiast
S

souvlakipita

Enthusiast
just an update i have narrowed down the selection to the jamestown AT screen and JBL PRO speakers to upgrade the front 3 speakers.

the AT will be 16:9. i looked at the 2:35 ratio but for the size difference and problem of adjusting to source every time is not really worth the change.

would you recommned something else for this price range?

S

souvlakipita

Enthusiast
So i have been told twice by different THX certified techs not to go with JBL pro fronts

Any thoughts or experience with james loudspeakers for subs and in wall LCR?

I have no way to audition and any thoughts on the james loudspeakers would be great!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
So i have been told twice by different THX certified techs not to go with JBL pro fronts

I have no way to audition and any thoughts on the james loudspeakers would be great!
What certified THX techs?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Just curious what their explanation was.

S

souvlakipita

Enthusiast
So i have all internet forums saying JTR is amazing vs integrators pushing their respective products

I think i trust the forums more...rather than sales and margins influencing the whole build

Does JTR Jeff help out with equipment choice and balancing and advice on the build.. like An integrator would?

Basically i want internet direct speakers like the praised JTR but need the help and expertise to properly setup the details

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Just curious what their explanation was.
Their reasoning was probably along the lines that their cinema speakers were not intended for home audio. The integration between the drivers occurs at a pretty far distance with these types of speakers. JBL engineers themselves have been known not to recommend them for home audio applications.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So i have all internet forums saying JTR is amazing vs integrators pushing their respective products

I think i trust the forums more...rather than sales and margins influencing the whole build

Does JTR Jeff help out with equipment choice and balancing and advice on the build.. like An integrator would?

Basically i want internet direct speakers like the praised JTR but need the help and expertise to properly setup the details

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff won't be able to help you to the extent that a installer could. However, there isn't much to speaker placement and setup if you aren't doing any tricky integration stuff. Just follow regular placement guidelines, and read through the manual for your AVR. If you are looking to do an Atmos system, read through the Dolby Home Atmos Installation Guide.

S

souvlakipita

Enthusiast
SHOPPING LIST ALMOST FINAL!!!

ordered a full JTR system from Jeff just yesterday.

3 x 228HT front
2 x 8HT for back will be installed in the column
2 x 8HT-LP sides will be installed on red absorber (not sure how i will do it yet - should i just remove the absorber?)
2 x Captivator 2400 in front under screen

MARANTZ PREAMPLIFIER 7705 using balanced XLR
Current emotiva XPA5 Gen1 for atmos speakers
?????????? for 7channels of JTR's

A.T. SEYMOUR XD SCREEN

my question is what amp should i buy to drive the JTR's ? is the emotiva gen3 or monolith better? i do not want any hissing as i think at sensitivity 98db is it will very noticeable? Should i get an 11channel emotiva - is it enough power?

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
Im about 11'. You could test easily by temp moving your existing screen forward. Having all 3 speakers behind the screen is so worth it. The sound no longer comes from a speaker but rather the object in the movie. When u have 3 identical speakers the panning is so smooth. Its the best upgrade ive done in a long while. Better than dual subs and atmos even.
I’m still using a wall mounted plasma so I can’t speak for the AT screen with speakers behind it, but I do have 3 SVS Prime Towers for my LCRs and it sounds really good. Better than when I had a horizontal center for sure.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
The HT people come to my house today to give me options for the theater. I am using identical LCR (Klipsch KL650s) and an AT screen.

And yes: I too love the sound.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis