upgrading theater room

S

souvlakipita

Enthusiast
hello all
my first post but have been reading tons of good comments on this forum. i am looking at upgrading my current polk setup to fix a few issues i have i need some advice as its the second shot at this and really want to get it right once and for all!

So here what I have: pics attached.
-room size: 21.5feet long x 18feet wide x 8 feet high
-dedicated home theater room
-carpet floor
-sound deadening on the walls (red squares)

Current equipment:
Front R – L
= Polk RTi A7 tower speakers

Center channel
= Polk CSi A6

Surround speakers:
Polk t300 bookshelf

Subwoofer
: paradigm dsp-3200 v.2

Current problems I hear:
-Center channel is lacking. i find it muggy, no brightness and clarity.
-bookshelf speakers are too direct I find for surrounds thinking to diffuse more. Dont mind moving them or pluging those holes up....
-subwoofer is placed in the back center of the room behind chairs as it wont fit up front with only 18.5inches width. Bass now sounds localized but deep.

So my question is, how can we make this theater room sound amazing using what speakers. What will sound the best as I’m looking to doing height or top speakers for Atmos – dts-x. How many channels and where? as I have 2 row seating I find makes hard to place them optimally.

thank you

IMG_4550.jpg
IMG_4549.jpg
IMG_4548.jpg
IMG_4553.jpg
IMG_4551.jpg
IMG_4552.jpg

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I am not a fan of the center speaker type that the Polk CSi A6 uses. Horizontal MTMs are always going to have problems except in a few cases. My guess is that the Polk LSiM704c would be a substantial upgrade since it pushes lobing artifacts down below the room's transition mode. Consider getting one of the LSiM center speakers.

For the surround speakers, you might think about elevating them. Or perhaps getting something like the SVS Prime Elevation speakers and mounting it near the ceiling. That might help reduce localization.

You might consider getting another sub and placing it on the adjacent end of the room to reduce localization.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
What AVR are you using?

Anyway, nice room! You could try something bigger like one of the Klipsch centers the RP450C or even the RC64. The RC64II is on sale for about $1000 most places. It uses a 1.75" compression driver horn tweeter and 4 6.5" mid-woofers.

The HSU CC8 seems like it would make a nice center.

Otherwise look for an efficient 3 way center. You could try an SVS Ultra center risk free, same with the Aperion Versa grand.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
1. Budget?
2. What is the distance between bottom of the screen and floor (when you remove Center and Center stand/cabinet) ? 31" ?
3. Mounting speakers to ceiling out of the question?
4. AVR? Have you boosted the Center Level as needed?

I have my Center speaker (31" tall RBH SX-T1/R) standing vertically under the 150" screen (next to one of the five SX-1010 subs). But they would also work if placed horizontally.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I would get the front 3 right if you have the budget. The center needs to be powerful in your big room. Then consider subs so you get powerful movie effects. Again budget is key.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Welcome!

The room looks beautiful! But how it sounds matters far more than your brand of speakers.

I see a center channel placed between and around cabinets, I see a riser (how was it constructed?), I see surround channels built into columns(how were the columns constructed?), I see HVAC duct work right above the front row, but I don't see how anyone in the back row could possibly hear the same sounds at each seat.

What I am saying is that EVERYTHING matters! So since you've already put plenty of time and money into making this space look beautiful, I would strongly encourage you to really evaluate the layout of the space, its construction, its intended use(personal vs entertaining), how often you have more than 3 guests to fill the front row, all of these factors before hoping we can name a solution that isn't a potential waste of your hard earned money and get you an actual upgrade that KEEPS the smile on your face!

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
If you are serious about upgrading the sounds it's time to move to an acoustically transparent screen with 3 identical towers behind it. Everything else will be a compromise. Looking at your room it seems like an obvious choice. The room is screaming for an AT screen. The front wall is already recessed.

I recently did this and it's pretty dang awesome!

S

souvlakipita

Enthusiast
What AVR are you using?

Anyway, nice room! You could try something bigger like one of the Klipsch centers the RP450C or even the RC64. The RC64II is on sale for about $1000 most places. It uses a 1.75" compression driver horn tweeter and 4 6.5" mid-woofers.

The HSU CC8 seems like it would make a nice center.

Otherwise look for an efficient 3 way center. You could try an SVS Ultra center risk free, same with the Aperion Versa grand.
thank you!

i am using a pioneer sc65 but looking into upgrading in the near future to use DTS-X and Atmos. i also have an emotiva xpa5 fully available to use.

cannot make up my mind after all reviews between klipsch and SVS.

S

souvlakipita

Enthusiast
If you are serious about upgrading the sounds it's time to move to an acoustically transparent screen with 3 identical towers behind it. Everything else will be a compromise. Looking at your room it seems like an obvious choice. The room is screaming for an AT screen. The front wall is already recessed.

I recently did this and it's pretty dang awesome!

ive had the same thought as well and is probably the best that can be done? center will be where it belongs although the front -right,left will be closer together will take away from the stereo 3d effect a little

i was worried to bring screen too forward to the first row not to hurt eyes...how far are you from front row to the AT screen?

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Im about 11'. You could test easily by temp moving your existing screen forward. Having all 3 speakers behind the screen is so worth it. The sound no longer comes from a speaker but rather the object in the movie. When u have 3 identical speakers the panning is so smooth. Its the best upgrade ive done in a long while. Better than dual subs and atmos even.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Im about 11'. You could test easily by temp moving your existing screen forward. Having all 3 speakers behind the screen is so worth it. The sound no longer comes from a speaker but rather the object in the movie. When u have 3 identical speakers the panning is so smooth. Its the best upgrade ive done in a long while. Better than dual subs and atmos even.
Depends on what towers and what subs. :)

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Maybe. Ive got a pretty killer setup but for me it always drove me crazy having the speakers under the screen and to the sides. Putting them behind just totally engrosses me into the content.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe. Ive got a pretty killer setup but for me it always drove me crazy having the speakers under the screen and to the sides. Putting them behind just totally engrosses me into the content.
Ya 3 towers behind the screen would certainly be cool. The front 3 in general are the first place to upgrade. I was speaking more to the subs being critical for pressuring the space no matter what other speakers are involved. That is an important upgrade as well. YMMV of course.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yep. I think that room is begging for an AT screen. Then possibly remove the entertainment center and use more of a rack style setup with 3 towers and have room for a pair of 15’s by Rythmik or HSU up front as well.
Also. If that were my room, I would move the seating forward so as to get the surrounds just behind the LP. Not sure why they’re in front. Was that the builder? That could be part of the problem since our forward hearing is more effective than aft. I wonder too, if some bipoles would be better for you for hotspotting as well. I don’t personally like them, and Dolby calls for monopoles for Atmos BUT I do know guys that have used bipoles as surrounds for Atmos and it’s pretty good. More diffuse than I like but still effective.
Nice room btw.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yep. I think that room is begging for an AT screen. Then possibly remove the entertainment center and use more of a rack style setup with 3 towers and have room for a pair of 15’s by Rythmik or HSU up front as well.
Also. If that were my room, I would move the seating forward so as to get the surrounds just behind the LP. Not sure why they’re in front. Was that the builder? That could be part of the problem since our forward hearing is more effective than aft. I wonder too, if some bipoles would be better for you for hotspotting as well. I don’t personally like them, and Dolby calls for monopoles for Atmos BUT I do know guys that have used bipoles as surrounds for Atmos and it’s pretty good. More diffuse than I like but still effective.
Nice room btw.
I’ll have my dual HSU subs on Tuesday. I’ll definitely compare my HSU VTF2 MK5’s going in the living room with my Rythmik LVX12 in my man cave. My guess is they are more similar than different but I’ll find out soon. :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Raising surrounds higher, especially the rear surrounds, is also my suggestion, but given they are in custom wall cavities (which btw hurt the sound), least I'd do is to flip them 180 degrees to put the tweeter on top, stead of the bottom.
Left/Center/Right are in most dire need to be upgraded. Tons of good options - depends on your budget.
An acoustically transparent screen would also be my choice in the dedicated HT room and I'd go with ugliest and best-performing speakers I could find and place them behind the screen. JTR, PSA or maybe DIYSoundgroup one of the Fusions: https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-theater-speaker-kits/home-theater-series/home-theater-fusions.html

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Raising surrounds higher, especially the rear surrounds, is also my suggestion, but given they are in custom wall cavities (which btw hurt the sound), least I'd do is to flip them 180 degrees to put the tweeter on top, stead of the bottom.
Left/Center/Right are in most dire need to be upgraded. Tons of good options - depends on your budget.
An acoustically transparent screen would also be my choice in the dedicated HT room and I'd go with ugliest and best-performing speakers I could find and place them behind the screen. JTR, PSA or maybe DIYSoundgroup one of the Fusions: https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-theater-speaker-kits/home-theater-series/home-theater-fusions.html
Only problem is he wants to do Atmos so going higher with the surrounds will do more harm than good imo.
Definitely agree about LCR though. I would try some diy as you mentioned or some jbl Pro speakers up there, and replace the rears with something from the studio line.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’ll have my dual HSU subs on Tuesday. I’ll definitely compare my HSU VTF2 MK5’s going in the living room with my Rythmik LVX12 in my man cave. My guess is they are more similar than different but I’ll find out soon. :)
Good for you man! I agree, they’ll probably be more similar than different. The pc pluses in the front of my room have been targeted for replacement with a pair of fv15hp’s and then the pc’s can go to the back and my mbm that’s in the rear corner can go in the garage. Dream world...
Congratulations btw. You will not be disappointed.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Good for you man! I agree, they’ll probably be more similar than different. The pc pluses in the front of my room have been targeted for replacement with a pair of fv15hp’s and then the pc’s can go to the back and my mbm that’s in the rear corner can go in the garage. Dream world...
Congratulations btw. You will not be disappointed.
Sorry I totally missed this post somehow. Ya the Rythmik FV15HP are my dream subs. If my Rythmik LVX12 in the man cave ever disappoints, I could send it to my bedroom setup (Rythmik L12) and go big with 15’s. :)

In the living room I thought for a long time before choosing dual HSU VTF2, but I think this is the perfect setup for me and the GF. (WAF was a factor in her living room. :) )

S

souvlakipita

Enthusiast
thanks all for the comments

i have pretty much convinced on the AT screen that should be the first step along with new LCR behind the screen. i currently have a 133inch screen and going to AT i would advance the image by 18inches towards front row. this will leave me with 11feet from screen. i have just put forward my front row to reflect this change to test and sample a 133inch is not too big for the distance.

as for the surrounds - the columns are made of mdf. i am willing to condemn the cutouts in the columns and possibly install on the sound proof panels the side surround channel dipole or bipole speaker. not sure where to relocate in the back other than just one back center speaker that does L-R like a svs duet for example unless we leave the colum speakers in the back if we dont have a choice..... see pic. will that make the whole back row a mother in law section since side surround will be in front of the row?

InkedIMG_4549_LI.jpg
\

InkedIMG_4548_LI.jpg

InkedIMG_4553_LI.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis