Upgrading Subwoofers

R

ReefKeeper918

Audiophyte
Hello All,

I am looking to upgrade my dual sub setup but I am unsure what size subs to get to achieve a respectable output. My current setup uses dual Sunfire SDS-10s positioned at the front of the room, about 7 feet apart. These play well for what they are, given I have done the best tuning I can with the miniDSP and couch placement. I have been looking at dual, maybe three, Monolith M-12 V2. My concern is that looking at the Bassaholic room size rating guide, the M-12 is rated for a large room (3,000 to 5,000 cubic ft). My room is a common living room with an open kitchen area immediately to the right of the theater setup. The area where I sit and enjoy the setup is about 2,500 cubic ft (basically the carpeted area of the living room) then about another 3,500 cubic ft of kitchen space off to the right of my setup and seating area. I sit just under 10 ft from the speakers, with about a 2.5 ft gap between the back wall and the couch.

What I am unsure of is do I take the entire space into consideration when reading the room size rating or simply where I sit (essentially just the carpeted area)? Will the M-12 be enough for this room size and setup? The 13in is considerably more so buying two or three or those sounds like a financial disaster hahaha. I'm thinking the M-12 will be enough to rock my socks given what I'm upgrading from but I wanted some opinions if possible.

Just in case it matters, the rest of my setup is the Denon x3700h, Emotiva BasX 5 channel amp, Emotiva T1+, C2+ and B2s and a miniDSP for the dual Sunfire SDS-10s. I'm also hiring an electrician to run some dedicated 20 amp lines.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello All,

I am looking to upgrade my dual sub setup but I am unsure what size subs to get to achieve a respectable output. My current setup uses dual Sunfire SDS-10s positioned at the front of the room, about 7 feet apart. These play well for what they are, given I have done the best tuning I can with the miniDSP and couch placement. I have been looking at dual, maybe three, Monolith M-12 V2. My concern is that looking at the Bassaholic room size rating guide, the M-12 is rated for a large room (3,000 to 5,000 cubic ft). My room is a common living room with an open kitchen area immediately to the right of the theater setup. The area where I sit and enjoy the setup is about 2,500 cubic ft (basically the carpeted area of the living room) then about another 3,500 cubic ft of kitchen space off to the right of my setup and seating area. I sit just under 10 ft from the speakers, with about a 2.5 ft gap between the back wall and the couch.

What I am unsure of is do I take the entire space into consideration when reading the room size rating or simply where I sit (essentially just the carpeted area)? Will the M-12 be enough for this room size and setup? The 13in is considerably more so buying two or three or those sounds like a financial disaster hahaha. I'm thinking the M-12 will be enough to rock my socks given what I'm upgrading from but I wanted some opinions if possible.

Just in case it matters, the rest of my setup is the Denon x3700h, Emotiva BasX 5 channel amp, Emotiva T1+, C2+ and B2s and a miniDSP for the dual Sunfire SDS-10s. I'm also hiring an electrician to run some dedicated 20 amp lines.
When it comes to sub frequencies, you are pressurizing the whole space. The question then becomes how much do you want to pressurize that space with bass? It can be very uncomfortable for those in the kitchen for instance. Building HT in multi use spaces is very problematic and a very mixed blessing for the household as a whole.
Use of the spaces you describe for HT and powerful subs, is something I personally try and talk people out of, especially if there is another space in the house more suitable. Those Sunfire subs are not pressurizing that space, just make sure other household members are on board if you proceed.

R

ReefKeeper918

Audiophyte
When it comes to sub frequencies, you are pressurizing the whole space. The question then becomes how much do you want to pressurize that space with bass? It can be very uncomfortable for those in the kitchen for instance. Building HT in multi use spaces is very problematic and a very mixed blessing for the household as a whole.
Use of the spaces you describe for HT and powerful subs, is something I personally try and talk people out of, especially if there is another space in the house more suitable. Those Sunfire subs are not pressurizing that space, just make sure other household members are on board if you proceed.
Thank you for your response. Luckily, I live alone for the most part but currently have a temporary roommate who would not mind the slightest. I have another space that is much smaller that would be a good dedicated HT space but I also use the space my setup is currently in for music playback and entertaining guest in general. Good bass in this entire space would be a good thing for how I use it.

To your initial response about how much I want to pressurize this space, well, I don't know. How well will multiple Monolith 12s do or would they just fall short as my current 10s do? The only con to the 13s are cost. I've never been in a HT that had properly sized woofers that pressurized a room well so I guess I don't know what I'm weighing out here.

I do want good bass extension for movies and music. I want to feel what's going on in movies as well as have the accuracy and blend between woofers and towers when listening to music.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The three M-12s sound like a good start :) I have a similar space and with three large subs (a dual 15" and two 18"s) it was good, but added a third 18 with little change. Do you have a lot of options for placing subs optimally?

R

ReefKeeper918

Audiophyte
The three M-12s sound like a good start :) I have a similar space and with three large subs (a dual 15" and two 18"s) it was good, but added a third 18 with little change. Do you have a lot of options for placing subs optimally?

In the front of the room, not really. I have maybe a foot or so, left or right, that I can position them. For visual purposes, sitting on the couch, facing the setup, I have a master bedroom on the left so I obviously can't have speakers or a 99 lb woofer blocking that door :). To the right, I have a large salt water fish tank.

Behind the couch yes. I have about 16 ft, left to right, I can place the sub. Anywhere from the far corner to where the carpet ends and the kitchen tile begins.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sometimes subs need to go where they need to be rather than where you need them to go.... :) I can't visualize your space but sometimes it's simply experimentation with available spots with something like a sub crawl and/or using measurement gear to help out further....

R

ReefKeeper918

Audiophyte
Oh yes. Ain't that the truth! I attached a picture I took a moment ago. Sorry for the poor lighting, its late. My couch as I said is about 2.5 ft from the back wall so I can place a third sub anywhere back there. I have probably 16 ft left to right behind the couch and some end tables.

I do have a Umik, REW and a miniDSP.

Attachments

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Oh yes. Ain't that the truth! I attached a picture I took a moment ago. Sorry for the poor lighting, its late. My couch as I said is about 2.5 ft from the back wall so I can place a third sub anywhere back there. I have probably 16 ft left to right behind the couch and some end tables.

First, you don't need to "pressurize" the entire space. If that were the case then you wouldn't be able to hear bass outdoors. The misnomer of pressurizing the space is only somewhat true but for frequencies below 20hz. At 10' distance from a pair of Monolith 12s it would be a night and day difference from the Sunfires you currently have. Since you have a mini dsp you can likely achieve a good frequency response from a pair of subs, at least in regards to the listening position(s).

R

ReefKeeper918

Audiophyte
First, you don't need to "pressurize" the entire space. If that were the case then you wouldn't be able to hear bass outdoors. The misnomer of pressurizing the space is only somewhat true but for frequencies below 20hz. At 10' distance from a pair of Monolith 12s it would be a night and day difference from the Sunfires you currently have. Since you have a mini dsp you can likely achieve a good frequency response from a pair of subs, at least in regards to the listening position(s).
That does make good sense. I am excited for what I am going to hear. I ended up ordered two 13s about an hour ago. :eek: I can honestly say, I don't quite know what I've gotten myself in to lol. I've enjoyed these Sunfires. I like to get down with my system once in a while so it is nice to know I'll have headroom.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic

Oh wow. I am so envious of your clutter free room. I seem to have an endless supply of toddler grandchildren. Sigh

R

ReefKeeper918

Audiophyte
Oh wow. I am so envious of your clutter free room. I seem to have an endless supply of toddler grandchildren. Sigh
Thanks! haha I'm sure the grandchildren are a blessing of their own though.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis