H

Hyperbole

Enthusiast
Hi Audioholics.
Well it's about time to upgrade from my Yamaha rxv3800b, (my baby).
I've had her for nearly 15 years and I think I have her sounding really nice, I've put in a lot of work over the years and learned a lot.
I'm worried that I may not be able to expect much improvement regardless of how much I spend on a receiver. I'm hoping someone here can ease my fears. I will particularly miss the beautiful Yamaha orange of my display, I don't much like the blue colours but I can live with it.
I'm using REW and have SVS ultras.
It sounds really nice.
Am I approaching a point of diminishing returns?
Thanks guys

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
If it sounds good and you like it. And there are no certain features you are looking for. I wouldn't waste the time or money changing it.

Last edited:
H

Hyperbole

Enthusiast
Hdmi 2.1 is the answer. I'll be upgrading my display you see

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
HDMI 2.1 isnt until next year.
4k (HDCP 2.2) is here now, HDMI 2.0b can have some parts of the new like eARC but not the actual data rates and full feature set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

H

Hyperbole

Enthusiast
I'm planning now. I've found that a bit of planning and preparation really does give a better result for free with this sort if thing. Spend it well, spend it once is the saying. I spent well with my receiver and it has lasted really well. I can be patient with this sort of thing but the question still remains- how do you know when you reach the point of diminishing returns?

H

Hyperbole

Enthusiast
Is there any gossip or rumors for next years offerings? Just for the fun of discussion.

H

Hyperbole

Enthusiast
Plus i really like putting all my source devices through my receiver. Plus I'm a bit sceptical about e-arc, i started with a projector and i think that tv really is for display only and has no real other useful value. I gope that's not being too controversial

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Its best to connect to the reciever yes. Whats availible next year i havent seen on the forums but HDMI 2.1 might be around summer 2020. The main difference from new chipsets availible today is 8k instead of 4k.
AVRs arent made like they were 15years ago, they are made to be replaced more often, which is why many now prefer to go mid level like denon 3500 which has the best audyssey version and pre outputs with a 2 or 3 channel power amp for the front channels instead of top level AVRs.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have SVS Ultra speakers too and love them. As far as a new receiver goes I wouldn't expect much difference other than getting you updated. Look for the feature set that suits you best. Yamaha is still making high quality gear so if you wanna stay in the family there's nothing wrong there. Right now there's a pretty killer deal on the Denon X3500H for $549. Last year's model and originally sold for $999. They're making room for the newer models. Great receiver at a great price.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I replaced my RXV3300 a couple years ago with a RXA2060. I gained HDMI 2.0b which I needed for my 4K TV. I do plan to add 4 ceiling speakers for 5.1.4 Atmos and DTSX. Are you planning to add ceiling speakers?

New Yamahas come out summer 2020 and will feature HDMI 2.1. I’m not sure what other changes are planned. They usually change the look every 10 years but I doubt the orange display will return. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Plus i really like putting all my source devices through my receiver. Plus I'm a bit sceptical about e-arc, i started with a projector and i think that tv really is for display only and has no real other useful value. I gope that's not being too controversial
Many of us wish the display were a simple display only, no need for tuner or smart apps or speakers/amps built in....but most people seem to want a fully loaded tv and the economies of scale caters to that market primarily. I wouldn't buy anything just for ARC/eARC capabilities myself....and since I'm still just 1080p and with a 7ch speaker layout (no Atmos/DTS:X) until I update the display I'm good with where I'm at. I think mostly about better speakers as far as upgrading goes, but I'm pretty happy with my current speakers/subs and am generally happy with where I sit on the diminishing return fence for now.

As far as diminishing returns, they can be reached fairly easily I think, keeping up with the video and audio codecs can make "upgrading" as necessary as you want to keep up with such. Your avr can do quite a bit still, but if you want to run 4k video thru the avr some updating is necessary (altho a bluray player with dual hdmi outs could feed your display directly for video and you could still run audio thru your current receiver....unless you're going the Atmos/DTS:X route with additional speakers....).

Does the SVS Ultras you mention include both speakers and subs?

H

Hyperbole

Enthusiast
I replaced my RXV3300 a couple years ago with a RXA2060. I gained HDMI 2.0b which I needed for my 4K TV. I do plan to add 4 ceiling speakers for 5.1.4 Atmos and DTSX. Are you planning to add ceiling speakers?

New Yamahas come out summer 2020 and will feature HDMI 2.1. I’m not sure what other changes are planned. They usually change the look every 10 years but I doubt the orange display will return. :)
Oh yes, I will be adding g ceiling speakers for sure. That will be for next year though. Atmos is wonderful, I've helped my friend with his and it is something I'm looking forward to but I must admit dts hd master and Dolby true he are clearly better quality. My friend says who cares, it's atmos and I agree it's wow great but im really liking quality.

H

Hyperbole

Enthusiast
Many of us wish the display were a simple display only, no need for tuner or smart apps or speakers/amps built in....but most people seem to want a fully loaded tv and the economies of scale caters to that market primarily. I wouldn't buy anything just for ARC/eARC capabilities myself....and since I'm still just 1080p and with a 7ch speaker layout (no Atmos/DTS:X) until I update the display I'm good with where I'm at. I think mostly about better speakers as far as upgrading goes, but I'm pretty happy with my current speakers/subs and am generally happy with where I sit on the diminishing return fence for now.

As far as diminishing returns, they can be reached fairly easily I think, keeping up with the video and audio codecs can make "upgrading" as necessary as you want to keep up with such. Your avr can do quite a bit still, but if you want to run 4k video thru the avr some updating is necessary (altho a bluray player with dual hdmi outs could feed your display directly for video and you could still run audio thru your current receiver....unless you're going the Atmos/DTS:X route with additional speakers....).

Does the SVS Ultras you mention include both speakers and subs?
Work around can be found yes and I will probably go in this direction.
To answer your question, no I don't have the svs subs just the speakers. Oh the ultra towers, OMG. I did a lot of work and rehersals before buying and a lot of work setting them up and there are no words.

H

Hyperbole

Enthusiast
Its best to connect to the reciever yes. Whats availible next year i havent seen on the forums but HDMI 2.1 might be around summer 2020. The main difference from new chipsets availible today is 8k instead of 4k.
AVRs arent made like they were 15years ago, they are made to be replaced more often, which is why many now prefer to go mid level like denon 3500 which has the best audyssey version and pre outputs with a 2 or 3 channel power amp for the front channels instead of top level AVRs.

Sigh... I can see that you are right

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Op, unless I missed it, I didn't see what your budget was or is I should say. Some have recommended the denon 3500, however if budget permits I would at least step up to the 3600. I know some wont quiver about the 3500, but I wouldn't take it even if it were for free. Heat sinks are a joke and placement of the power transformer looks awful to. At least the 3600 appears to have decent heat sinks and the transformer has been repositioned properly.

Some people are going to jump in and say , oh it doesn't matter. But it does. Electrical components are inherently noisy, and the quality of those components and there placement makes a difference. Looking at the 3600 makes you think they caught the mistakes on the 3500 and addressed them correctly on the 3600.Take a look for yourself and you be the judge.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Op, unless I missed it, I didn't see what your budget was or is I should say. Some have recommended the denon 3500, however if budget permits I would at least step up to the 3600. I know some wont quiver about the 3500, but I wouldn't take it even if it were for free. Heat sinks are a joke and placement of the power transformer looks awful to. At least the 3600 appears to have decent heat sinks and the transformer has been repositioned properly.

Some people are going to jump in and say , oh it doesn't matter. But it does. Electrical components are inherently noisy, and the quality of those components and there placement makes a difference. Looking at the 3600 makes you think they caught the mistakes on the 3500 and addressed them correctly on the 3600.Take a look for yourself and you be the judge.
Thats very interresting, didnt know they were very different inside, they usually arent. So much around the forums about the 3x00 line and first time big internal differences are mentioned and i wholeheartedly agree that placement and heatsinks matter a lot. Whats the best for each to buy i guess depends on how big a price difference there is.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thats very interresting, didnt know they were very different inside, they usually arent. So much around the forums about the 3x00 line and first time big internal differences are mentioned and i wholeheartedly agree that placement and heatsinks matter a lot. Whats the best for each to buy i guess depends on how big a price difference there is.

For the difference in price the 3500 is a no brainer. I'd love to see Truthslayer do a dbt and consistently pick out the difference between the 2 because I don't think it's possible. Folks who make those claims tend to avoid proving them with double blind testing.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
For the difference in price the 3500 is a no brainer. I'd love to see Truthslayer do a dbt and consistently pick out the difference between the 2 because I don't think it's possible. Folks who make those claims tend to avoid proving them with double blind testing.
Audible or not, better heatsinks and more optimized layout would be good if it lowers the heat a little. Maybe the 3500 will be good next year when prices go down.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Audible or not, better heatsinks and more optimized layout would be good if it lowers the heat a little. Maybe the 3500 will be good next year when prices go down.
I agree a better layout is a better layout, but it was suggested that you can hear the difference and I disagree with that part of the statement. I haven't read any accounts of the 3500 running hot or experiencing problems due to heat. Bang for buck It's gonna be hard to beat that price right now.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Bit quick with the numbers there, meant 3600 next year, 3500 have very nice prices now.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis