UPDATED: Mark L. Schifter, PLEADS GUILTY to suspicion of charity fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Murrel

Audioholic Intern
That's kind of interesting. Does Murrel have an affiliation with va321?

Yes and no....if you are enjoying a B-stock tube amp or a B-stock Onix CD player from AV123 it has passed through my shop. Did I work for AV123 no. Did I do repairs yes. Did AV123 always pay me yes.

Feel free to ask any questions you want

Murrel

T

Timeless Tech

Audiophyte
It's not the amps for sale at MinusTheBear's link, it's the email addy that IDs who's now handling (selling) MFW amps as per the new info on the XX123 web site.

Edit: And I see this slow typer is figuring this out just minutes behind the address owner's post.

K

Kevin R

Audiophyte
It's not the amps for sale at MinusTheBear's link, it's the email addy that IDs who's now handling (selling) MFW amps as per the new info on the XX123 web site.
Yes, it is. Out of curiosity, did you just have a bunch left over or how do you acquire since they do list your email address on the now defunct homepage?

T

Timeless Tech

Audiophyte
Murrel,

A few quick questions come to mind.

What can you share about the types of repairs you've been finding necessary on these MFW amps?

Are you modding them in any fashion to avoid repeat failures?

What process do you have for those with non-functioning amps to obtain a replacement from you?

Are you offering a warranty?

M

Murrel

Audioholic Intern
Murrel,

A few quick questions come to mind.

What can you share about the types of repairs you've been finding necessary on these MFW amps?

Are you modding them in any fashion to avoid repeat failures?

What process do you have for those with non-functioning amps to obtain a replacement from you?

Are you offering a warranty?

1. I am just starting to look at the bad amps I have. it may take a couple of weeks to see what I can find

2. I will not be modding any amps. I believe that sandbagger is doing all he can to help with a better solution.

3 I should have all of the details tomorrow about cost and shipping and warranty.

this sale has zero to do with AV123. I am able get the last of the v3 amps out there for the people who want them. I will not be able to replace the non functioning amps that are out there. That would mean that I would have to buy it then give it away. I just can not afford to do that.

If i can find the time to help with repairs I will. I do have a limited time as I do have a regular job or three.

Murrel

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
If I'm reading this right, you were able to acquire the assorted v3 MFW amps that they (either AV123 or QSC) still had in the warehouse when AV123 went under and are going to be making necessary repairs and selling them - with no further involvement from any entity that was previously associated with AV123.

Are all the amps you have in need of repair, or are some operational?

Do you know what the situation is for people who sent faulty amps in for repair shortly before the company closed? If those faulty amps ended up in the inventory you now have in your possession, was there any paper trail to tell you who was caught up that particular trap?

T

Timeless Tech

Audiophyte
Thanks for the update. It's a lot more informative than AV123's "news".

1. I am just starting to look at the bad amps I have. it may take a couple of weeks to see what I can find
I'd be interested to see if you identify a particular (or even a few) failure-prone part that can be obtained and replaced by anyone "handy" around electronics but short on sophisticated troubleshooting equipment.

. . . I am able get the last of the v3 amps out there for the people who want them. I will not be able to replace the non functioning amps that are out there. That would mean that I would have to buy it then give it away. I just can not afford to do that.
Totally understandable. I was wondering whether you'd be taking in broken amps from existing owners and repairing for a fee (not expecting any further warranty from defunct AV123).

If i can find the time to help with repairs I will. I do have a limited time as I do have a regular job or three.
If any trends develop, to the point you could post that for a given symptom there's such and such part(s) to replace, you'd be a hero to lots of folks.

M

Murrel

Audioholic Intern
If I'm reading this right, you were able to acquire the assorted v3 MFW amps that they (either AV123 or QSC) still had in the warehouse when AV123 went under and are going to be making necessary repairs and selling them - with no further involvement from any entity that was previously associated with AV123.

Are all the amps you have in need of repair, or are some operational?

Do you know what the situation is for people who sent faulty amps in for repair shortly before the company closed? If those faulty amps ended up in the inventory you now have in your possession, was there any paper trail to tell you who was caught up that particular trap?
Gonk

The amps that i will be offering will be what QSC has left.
I will not be repairing the new amps.
I do have a pallet of what may be returns, I am going to look at them if I can fix them I will. If you sent an amp in please email me and I will try to help.

The sale of the V3 amps has nothing to do with AV123 it is my own deal. I have 3 MFW's myself so I need an few spares and I thought that others may want the same. If not that is fine too.

I will say this if find the return someone sent in and I can fix it I will do so for just the cost of shipping and parts.

I feel for the guys in this situation....it may take me a while to get to them as I do have a busy life and need to also spend time with the family.

I should have all the details nailed down tomorrow as to cost, shipping and warranty. if you are interested please e-mail me.

if I missed something I am sorry as I have been flooded with e-mails and requests for information.

Murrel

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
Good info, Murrel. I was wondering about the fate of the amps that several people were instructed to ship back to AV123 in July and early August, but if you went straight to QSC for these v3 amps then the odds of those "warranty repair" amps ending up on your pallet are probably slim. It seems more likely that AV123 just stacked those in a corner than sending the amps back to QSC for warranty service.

N

NicolasKL

Full Audioholic
Totally understandable. I was wondering whether you'd be taking in broken amps from existing owners and repairing for a fee (not expecting any further warranty from defunct AV123).
If not I've had good luck with:

www.avsl.net

In the case of the MFW amp you might be better to replace than repair though, I had them fix an amp in my Intermezzo 4.1t which has more than just the sub amplification circuitry in it, so I don't think replacing it with something off the shelf was a real possibility.

Cost me 95 in labor and 65 in parts I believe to repair my Infinity amp.

T

Timeless Tech

Audiophyte
Thanks for the suggestion. There's a local A/V repair shop near here that I would consider giving a shot at repair (and/or improvement via mod) if there's insufficient info or a need for more sophisticated testing equipment than a multimeter.

OTOH, in hopes of a better alternative, given that Murrel owns some MFWs as well as performs A/V repairs, IMO he's in a good position to assess whether there's enough value in repairing these amps to justify a cost, depending on who's doing the labor.

Given this vested interest, if he says he's not interested in doing repairs b/c the cost (his time, our money) doesn't result in a reliable product, I won't bother taking an old one to a shop--local or elsewhere.

But if he comes back with "For amp version X with symptom Y replace Z" and you're able to obtain part Z and replace it (yourself or some other shop), I'd be interested in knowing that, too.

M

Murrel

Audioholic Intern
Good info, Murrel. I was wondering about the fate of the amps that several people were instructed to ship back to AV123 in July and early August, but if you went straight to QSC for these v3 amps then the odds of those "warranty repair" amps ending up on your pallet are probably slim. It seems more likely that AV123 just stacked those in a corner than sending the amps back to QSC for warranty service.
Today I picked up 20 or so amps that were returned . As soon as I can acquire a controller cable I can take a look at them. Most of them have the HUM but hopefully with some time and my trusty scope I may be able to find the problem. If so I am willing to help those that sent an amp in for warranty repair in the last couple of months. If it is a easy fix I would much rather share it than do it!!! So if I am able to find a fix I will post it.

Please remember that I do have the details on the new amps email me if you like.

Hopefully for those that just do not want to go this route sandbagger over at audiocircle is working on some options other than his Hot Rod version. You may want to also contact him.

Murrel

K

Kevin R

Audiophyte
Today I picked up 20 or so amps that were returned . As soon as I can acquire a controller cable I can take a look at them. Most of them have the HUM but hopefully with some time and my trusty scope I may be able to find the problem. If so I am willing to help those that sent an amp in for warranty repair in the last couple of months. If it is a easy fix I would much rather share it than do it!!! So if I am able to find a fix I will post it.

Please remember that I do have the details on the new amps email me if you like.

Hopefully for those that just do not want to go this route sandbagger over at audiocircle is working on some options other than his Hot Rod version. You may want to also contact him.

Murrel
Murrel,

If ya need some help I'm not too far away. I'm a Navy certified Electronics Tech (Laser guided weapons) so I know a thing or two about scats, etc. :cool:

M

Murrel

Audioholic Intern
Murrel,

If ya need some help I'm not too far away. I'm a Navy certified Electronics Tech (Laser guided weapons) so I know a thing or two about scats, etc. :cool:
Thanks Kevin! How close are you?

Murrel

N

NicolasKL

Full Audioholic
I see that a certain speaker made by a certain person and user reviewed by a certain other person, said other person making it out to be that said speaker was akin to the 2nd coming of Jesus, a BJ from Katy Perry, and Mom's homemade meatloaf all rolled into one, is now saying that said speaker is no good for HT and he's going back to his Rocket 850s. The Rocket 850s that, IIRC, he said a couple of days ago were lifeless and there's no way he'd ever use them for HT again.

How odd.

T

thenatinator

Junior Audioholic
I see that a certain speaker made by a certain person and user reviewed by a certain other person, said other person making it out to be that said speaker was akin to the 2nd coming of Jesus, a BJ from Katy Perry, and Mom's homemade meatloaf all rolled into one, is now saying that said speaker is no good for HT and he's going back to his Rocket 850s. The Rocket 850s that, IIRC, he said a couple of days ago were lifeless and there's no way he'd ever use them for HT again.

How odd.
If I'm reading the right thread that certain speaker maker mentioned a final solution.
Hows that for quoting out of contex :)

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
The rabid fanboyism is enough to make one feel sick, especially after what we all witnessed with AV123. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis