UPDATED: Mark L. Schifter, PLEADS GUILTY to suspicion of charity fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NicolasKL

Full Audioholic
If I'm reading the right thread that certain speaker maker mentioned a final solution.
Hows that for quoting out of contex :)
I predict HWSNBNWTFBBQ has the speakers sent back to him (on his own dime), finds something wrong with them, sends them back to the user reviewer, who then pronounces them totally different than the first time he had them, and the best speakers available under $100,000. This serves two purposes, one, HSNMSNBC makes a MLS like "save," and two, the user reviewer regains a small shred of credibility by having said they weren't working for him for HT. Having lost said credibility (IMO, and I'm glad to see I'm not alone here) due to a user review so fawning and gushing and amorous it would make a hooker blush.

S

scootermafia

Audiophyte
I just realized that the person trying to buy OCC copper wire from my business has been this Mark from the Audio Design Groupe. I'm pretty horrified. He sure has given me the run around taking forever to place his order with me, too. I even sent him some free samples, and still nothing. He insisted last week that he was going to buy then. At this point, now that I know that he's a criminal, I'm not too comfortable with doing business with him.

Matt34

Matt34

I just realized that the person trying to buy OCC copper wire from my business has been this Mark from the Audio Design Groupe. I'm pretty horrified. He sure has given me the run around taking forever to place his order with me, too. I even sent him some free samples, and still nothing. He insisted last week that he was going to buy then. At this point, now that I know that he's a criminal, I'm not too comfortable with doing business with him.
I would run away as fast as you can.

Seriously.

For his own good, I believe Shifter needs to get a job. Seriously. He needs to work for someone, not run any more businesses or involve himself in selling or purchasing anything in terms of Audio/Video.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
In addition to his conviction, he has a pretty dreadful track record for not paying bills. There's a lengthy trail of speaker manufacturers, component manufacturers, and designers in his wake that all were left with unpaid invoices. I know if he approached me about a business venture of any sort, I'd run the other way...

Jed M

Jed M

Full Audioholic
DEFINITELY get the money first. He is going to want to work you, that is his con. If you decide not to business with him, don't just run away, make sure you give him a square kick to the шары courtesy of the Russian Orphans.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
If he winds up in prison, Clint, he can find meaningful employment in the prison kitchen where he can toss salad.

M

Murrel

Audioholic Intern
FYI I may have fixed the hum issue on the MFW15 amps. I am going to run it for a couple of days and I will let you all know

T

Timeless Tech

Audiophyte
I don't how much of a torture test that repaired amp will be getting, or whether any other vulnerable parts will die, but how ironic would it be if the potential cure is for the only weak spot in that version amp, and the whole multi-generation series of replacement amps and unhappy customers could have been avoided with a simple repair and tighter quality controls on manufacturing thereafter?

woofersus

woofersus

Audioholic
I don't how much of a torture test that repaired amp will be getting, or whether any other vulnerable parts will die, but how ironic would it be if the potential cure is for the only weak spot in that version amp, and the whole multi-generation series of replacement amps and unhappy customers could have been avoided with a simple repair and tighter quality controls on manufacturing thereafter?
I guess that depends on how many MFW-15 amps were "bad" based on that hum and how many just died. I have two dead mfw-15 amps in my basement and neither of them hummed.

I'm a little curious about the timeline as it seems like AV123, after the initial "all the amps are dying" fiasco, bought a batch of amps from QSC and declared their problems to be over, but then later when there were a lot of dying amps again they went "back" to QSC for the v3 amps. My first two amps were clearly from that second round (not second version) in which nearly everything died, but my current amp seems to have been from that initial QSC batch. I got it shortly after everything came to a head and they declared a big revision and a new supplier would fix everything. (had to wait almost 3 months for my amp and got it in July of 2009) That amp doesn't hum and has been solid for over a year. (it was the first of the amps that had the incorrect corner radius and had to be installed with a rubber mallet)

Aside from seeking some good news about my long term prospects, I guess I'm just curious as to whether the V2 amp was really so bad or if AV123 just did one batch at QSC for PR purposes and then went back to the cheap stuff immediately thereafter.

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
Mark Seaton had an interesting post over on AVS about the amps:
Mark Seaton said:
The V1 amp was sourced by CrealM (basically a representative/broker) through a very large Chinese amplifier builder. The output stage (the part that makes the input signal large to drive the woofer) used a design from the build house. It was not my choice, as preferred options Doug G. and I presented were passed by (10-20% more expensive :rolleyes: ). After the 2nd large batch started failing, Doug and another engineer identified a common point of failure due to some loose tolerance parts which could drift into a point of thermal instability, especially in the small amp chamber. Instability means once past a threshold, the design would continue to drift toward a failure state. Obviously the first batch mostly worked, but that result proved not repeatable given the push for cost cutting.

Later amps of the exact same design (at least they intended it to be the same) from CrealM's own build house was also problem ridden. The V2 amp retained the input signal circuitry and the power transformer from the original amps and replaced the output stage with the new design which was built in the US and assembled and loaded on the Chinese sourced amps replacing the original output stage. The V3 amp came after AV123 ran through the China sourced amp parts (plate, input section and transformer). A new input section was created, the separate adjustment panel was eliminated, and the power supply and all parts were sourced and assembled by QSC. From what I understand, these were about 2-3x the cost to build as the original V1 amps. For what it's worth, IMO, murrel is likely to loose money handling and delivering the V3 amps at $225, and should be charging about $250+ shipping unless everything is boxed, packed, and ready to ship without any handling, pick up or checking prior to shipment to buyers. I'd suggest pushing harder on QSC for the pricing if they want to get rid of the parts, or stick to $250 so as to not have anyone else get sucked into the money pit of AV123.

I had no involvement with the development of nor hands on knowledge of the V2 or V3 amplifiers, so much of the above info is 2nd hand from those with some involvement combined with what I've observed from owners.

M

Murrel

Audioholic Intern
I guess that depends on how many MFW-15 amps were "bad" based on that hum and how many just died. I have two dead mfw-15 amps in my basement and neither of them hummed.
woofersus,

If the parts that i am finding suspect (that cause the hum) just completely failed then you would have a dead amp.

Murrel

woofersus

woofersus

Audioholic

woofersus,

If the parts that i am finding suspect (that cause the hum) just completely failed then you would have a dead amp.

Murrel
I guess it makes sense that the two issues would be interrelated.

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
For his own good, I believe Shifter needs to get a job. Seriously. He needs to work for someone, not run any more businesses or involve himself in selling or purchasing anything in terms of Audio/Video.
I hear working the midnight shift at 7-11 can be quite lucrative. Plus, you can drink all the free coffee and fountain soda that you want. Such perks.

S

skeeter99

Junior Audioholic
I see that a certain speaker made by a certain person and user reviewed by a certain other person, said other person making it out to be that said speaker was akin to the 2nd coming of Jesus, a BJ from Katy Perry, and Mom's homemade meatloaf all rolled into one, is now saying that said speaker is no good for HT and he's going back to his Rocket 850s. The Rocket 850s that, IIRC, he said a couple of days ago were lifeless and there's no way he'd ever use them for HT again.

How odd.
If I'm reading the right thread that certain speaker maker mentioned a final solution.
Hows that for quoting out of contex :)
Any links?

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
None that I can link to for a BJ from Katy Perry. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers