UPDATED: Mark L. Schifter, PLEADS GUILTY to suspicion of charity fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Remember when Humbly Bumbly was talking about new subs that he had in mind? He posted some pics of the driver and upon examination, someone determined that the drivers were from Pierce Audio Products. It kind of seemed from some other pictures that he had actually obtained some drivers. If that was the case, does anyone recall if those drivers were part of any of the lots sold by Dickensheet?

K

kendrid

Audiophyte
I just received a Victim Impact Statement from:
Natalie
Legal Assistant
Office of the Attorney General
Special Prosecutions Unit

I didn't request one. Are all of av123's customers receiving this?

woofersus

woofersus

Audioholic
I just received an email from a legal assistant to the Colorado AG with a victim statement form and cover letter to fill out. I suspect that means everybody on that list will be getting the same email. While my losses are pocket change compared to many (~$100) it's good that they are sending these out. Many people probably wouldn't seek it out otherwise.

If you are one of the 700+ victims named in the Schifter/AV123/Perpetual Technologies case, be sure to check the email address associated with the paypal account you "donated" from. Then be sure to fill out the form and send it in.

woofersus

woofersus

Audioholic
Natalie
Legal Assistant

Beat me to the post. ;)

My assumption is that they are sending to all the known victims for whom they have email addresses. (mostly from paypal records I'd imagine)

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
Natalie
Legal Assistant

I got one as well. They're probably sending them to all the paypal accounts that bought raffle tickets.

The forms read like if we don't submit them and send them in they can't ask for restitution.
Crime costs in many ways. Without your statement, we cannot ask the judge for restitution. The law says that the court shall order defendant to make FULL RESTITUTION to the victim (and/or victim’s immediate family) for actual damages. The judge may not order all the losses/damages you list. Keep in mind the defendant has a right to question each loss at a court hearing (“restitution hearing”). You may have to testify if defendant is granted a hearing.

R

rseynaev

Enthusiast
I just received one as well. It was a little strange that there was zero explaination as to the details of the case. Somehow they assumed (I guess correctly in this instance) that I knew whats been going on.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
Sentencing hearing is about 3-1/2 weeks away, so they're probably trying to get as much documentation as they can for that. The only people who can provide victim impact statements are people who contributed to the raffles.

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
I just received one as well. It was a little strange that there was zero explaination as to the details of the case. Somehow they assumed (I guess correctly in this instance) that I knew whats been going on.
"Victim Impact Cover Letter" sorta explains it, but it a tad sparse on details.

Now I have to go back and sort through my Paypal transactions again to figure out what he took me for again. :(

L

leaguer1leafs

Enthusiast
I got one too, but the attached files are all mumbo jumbo when I try to open them...they are in a docx format and I cannot open them properly...any suggestions??

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
I got one too, but the attached files are all mumbo jumbo when I try to open them...they are in a docx format and I cannot open them properly...any suggestions??
What are you trying to open them with? You can download an update for Office 2003 that will let you open them normally.

H

Hugh-Melody

Audioholic
You'll need newer version of MS Word to open it.

PM me that one then I'll convert back to .doc for you.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Will anyone be attending the sentencing on October 8, 2010?

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
I also got the victims statement and would encourage everyone to complete and mail in no matter the size of the loss.

S

sandbagger

Audioholic Intern
it is such a bummer they could not have schedualed it for OCT 14th the day before RMAF, I bet they could have gotten a pretty big turn out if they had :eek:

Will anyone be attending the sentencing on October 8, 2010?

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
it is such a bummer they could not have schedualed it for OCT 14th the day before RMAF, I bet they could have gotten a pretty big turn out if they had :eek:
Ain't that the truth! Could've had a big old bbq but for you guys who are going to RMAF and hold Humbly Bumbly in the proper esteem, maybe you can all get together for a nice dinner and tell Shifty stories. Also, you might just get lucky because if he's sentenced to prison, it might be close enough that folks can pay a visit. Maybe give him a napkin for some of his infamous drawings. See it he's got any tats.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
There is a converter available from Microsoft that will let older versions of Word open the latest Word format.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Thats your hard earned tax $$ at work. Idiots can't figure out how to send out a pdf.

H

Hugh-Melody

Audioholic
You guys need to realize that Victim Impact Statement is a valuable tool for the judge to decide whether or not Schifter will do hard time so take your time and fill it out as thoroughly and accurately as your memory serves you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis