UPDATED: Mark L. Schifter, PLEADS GUILTY to suspicion of charity fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Those were some pictures, weren't they? Did the board fry because of a problem in design or manufacture? Did it fry because of what it's connected to? We'll never know I think.
The really scary thing is that he said it still is getting power with a green LED light on the back of the amp.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Someone with an AVS account might want to advise this individual of that.
That would be the right thing to do , but a lot of those guys always get a bit aggressive when you point out the obvious to them, they are pretty informed over there :)

droht

droht

Full Audioholic
here is an updated image from that avs thread (what the board always should have said):

sorry about the mega-weak photoshopping.

N

NewOrlnsDukie

Audiophyte
A fitting end to AV123.

And good to know there are some possible sources for replacement parts. I still have lots of gear from them, and have never had any problems. My 2 MFW's are from the first run and still running just fine (no amp problems), but I have to admit that I'm tempted to either replace them or do the upgrade.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
A Brief Update on Schifter

As was stated earlier, MLS plead guilty to two felony charges. The judge in the matter will decide, based on any arguments advanced by both prosecution and defense, what the sentencing will be. At this moment in time, it is entirely unknown which way the pendulum will swing. What can be said with certainty is that restitution plus any other fees and fines are guaranteed. MLS, having posted bail earlier after deciding that the Boulder County Jail and relaxation center didn't meet his sense of accommodations, remains free if you will. I don't know if he's staying at home in the loving arms of his wife, with Ms. Khabarvski, bunking with Kyle, or somewhere else. But he's not incarcerated at this time.

Victim Impact Statements will be provided to the judge and will be a factor in whatever sentence is meted out. So, folks, if you were a victim, and didn't file one do so. Time is wasting. If you need to know how to do it, please go here:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=713259&postcount=4170

At the end of the trial, it will be possible to obtain court transcripts. If I get a hold of them, I'll post them here. Lastly, it cannot be confirmed nor denied that person(s) were offered immunity from prosecution. In the words of Mr. Gump, "And that's all I have to say about that."

PS: I have it on good authority, that Anita Koch will have an interview in the very near future.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
Victim Impact Statements will be provided to the judge and will be a factor in whatever sentence is meted out. So, folks, if you were a victim, and didn't file one do so. Time is wasting. If you need to know how to do it, please go here:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=713259&postcount=4170
I want to second this. Like Chu, I never contributed to the raffles. As a result, I'm not a victim. Any commentary I could provide is meaningless to the judge (as it should be under these circumstances). If you did contribute, though, and you are following this thread (or if you know someone who contributed and are following the thread), you should consider taking a moment to look at Chu's earlier post about Victim Impact Statements.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
With Labor Day But A Scant Few Weeks Away

I thought I'd post this before even Google cache no longer has this. MLS was always looking for some kind of an event to run a sale. Back in 2008 he ran one and this post is from December by geogeer.

I just sent a whole lot of cuss words through my house

I AM from the labour day sale and still haven't got my stuff.

I'm also waiting on a rosewood MFW, and that got me the second part to that letter:

I wanted to send along a very personal note of apology for the delay in your Rosewood MFW-15 order. I felt a few short words were in order – so please forgive the intrusion on your Holiday Season. Allow me to take a this moment with you…

As I have mentioned in my letter to folks waiting on Rocket deliveries… things have not been 100% well in China during this year. The Chinese are facing tremendous hurdles in all areas of their lives. Simple items like food have become more and more expensive – and challenges are everywhere these days in our factories that we utilize in Southern China and beyond. Raw materials have skyrocketed. Copper alone has gone up over 30% this year alone. Many of our vendors have been forced to cut staff and operating hours in response to the meltdown taking place in our global economy.

We have tried to maintain a greater (read tighter) linkage with our outside procurement manager we have been using in China during this year – but even he has been faced with INCREDIBLE challenges in managing our growth and our needs. The current MFW-15 Rosewood shipment has been delayed – but for reasons that I hope you’ll all join in and actually agree with me about.

The last MFW-15 shipment (Rosewood) upset me greatly. The packing materials used were really sub-standard in my humble opinion – and our vendor just seemed to want to kick and scream about my complaints, rather than help to fix it. In fact, they complained SO MUCH – that I decided to pull the PO and do something I swore I would not do.

For some time I have been aware of a particular vendor that builds for simply some of the best companies the world has ever known. They build a variety of speakers and subs – many of which are on Stereophile’s Class A rating list – and the same is true for The Absolute Sound Recommended Lists. I know this company so well as this was where the first two shipments of Rockets actually came from some 8 + years ago – and the owner is a dear and very personal friend.

Their prices are roughly 50% more (no joke) than our current vendor – but this company goes WAY above and beyond when it comes to the quality of products that they can (and do) deliver… I remember seeing all of the early Revel products being made there and marveling at the level of fit and finish. These guys REALLY know how to do “it” – and they are not afraid to charge for “it”… 

I had requested some photos many weeks ago from our current vendor – and they kept ignoring me. It’s not that what they made was bad (in fact – what passed muster was quite good), but all of the complaints we registered about some of the workmanship (on the bad ones) and the shipping materials used were met with a jaundiced eye – and complete disregard for what we needed to do to improve. I found that completely unacceptable.

I therefore decided to move the PO to this other company as I KNOW what they will give us will pass any and all tests… In doing this I have certainly throw off all of the delivery timetables – but I felt I was left with little choice… The current run found me rejecting near to 15% of the goods themselves – plus we had the shipping issues to boot. In all – it looks like I will be replacing near to 25% of that run… Not fair to all of you – and not fair to av123 as well. Lest we forget that when something like this goes bad – the “cost” exceeds $260 dollars to replace a bad sub for the FREIGHT ALONE… The numbers get pretty large when they are multiplied out…

So – what does it all mean? It means that those waiting for MFW-15’s in Rosewood will now see these until the week of March 9th. These will ship before Chinese New Year (3rd week for January)… but I felt I better front end load some extra “fudge factor” just to be sure…

I sincerely wish to apologize to all of you effected by this delay. We will endeavor to move the goods as quickly as possible from the POE (port of entry) to Denver and then on to Longmont – and then to all of you…

I’d like to express in clear terms that there was no way we could have avoided this – lest we all get punished for poor quality or poorer still packing materials. I was just not willing to take that risk – now knowing what I know…

Please accept this apology as from our collective hearts. We know that The Season can bring undue stress in many cases – and our purpose is to deliver the music and film system of your dreams. To that end we will not let you down – and we do most sincerely apologize for this brief and unavoidable delay…

Most Humbly…

Happy Holidays…

Mark L. Schifter

I'm so mad I don't know what to do right now.... ghaaaa! I know it's nobody's fault.

Jed M

Jed M

Full Audioholic
Thanks Chu for the trip down memory lane. His bullsh*t is very touching.

Edit: As one can see, his reasons for the delay were so altruistic. I thought this part deserved a highlight. Almost brings a tear to my eye he is so magnanimous.

The last MFW-15 shipment (Rosewood) upset me greatly. The packing materials used were really sub-standard in my humble opinion – and our vendor just seemed to want to kick and scream about my complaints, rather than help to fix it. In fact, they complained SO MUCH – that I decided to pull the PO and do something I swore I would not do.

For some time I have been aware of a particular vendor that builds for simply some of the best companies the world has ever known. They build a variety of speakers and subs – many of which are on Stereophile’s Class A rating list – and the same is true for The Absolute Sound Recommended Lists. I know this company so well as this was where the first two shipments of Rockets actually came from some 8 + years ago – and the owner is a dear and very personal friend.

Their prices are roughly 50% more (no joke) than our current vendor – but this company goes WAY above and beyond when it comes to the quality of products that they can (and do) deliver… I remember seeing all of the early Revel products being made there and marveling at the level of fit and finish. These guys REALLY know how to do “it” – and they are not afraid to charge for “it”…

Last edited:
droht

droht

Full Audioholic
I'll take a stab at the translation:

The last MFW-15 shipment (Rosewood) upset me greatly. Our vendor is insisting that we pay for it!. In fact, they have refused to float me more inventory, so I decided to pull the PO and do something I swore I would not do.

For some time I have been aware of a particular vendor that is dumb enough to still offer me terms. They build pretty much anything. I know this company so well as this was where the first two shipments of Rockets actually came from some 8 + years ago – and the owner is a dear and very personal friend who I can screw over.

Their prices are roughly 50% more (no joke) than our current vendor – but it doesn't really matter how much they charge because they will never see a dime from me...

S

sandbagger

Audioholic Intern
I hate to say this as I cant believe it but......

I was contacted last night by someone who had put money down on....... G2!!!

I an not going to share anymore details, but I did direct him to Chu's post on contacting the Colorados AGO

You got to love it!!!

F

FudBuster

Enthusiast

I an not going to share anymore details, but I did direct him to Chu's post on contacting the Colorados AGO

You got to love it!!!
Kevin.... you CAN'T be serious. That is incredible. Maybe they'll ship him those mules they showed in the pics. I just can't believe someone actually did that.

B

BWG707

Audioholic
Kevin.... you CAN'T be serious. That is incredible. Maybe they'll ship him those mules they showed in the pics. I just can't believe someone actually did that.
As I said before it's the law of numbers. If you contact enough people sooner or later you will find that "customer". Although it is a crying shame. I do feel for the guy, but, jeez, you should be well informed before making any kind of prepays.

m-fine

m-fine

Audioholic
UNFORTUNATELY I am :eek: :mad:
Please tell me it was a forum member and former customer/fan boy who ignored all the warnings and not some poor unsuspecting soul who did not have any background info.

Oh, and this crap is exactly why I do not see Kyle as an innocent victim. I think Kyle, Susan, and anyone else who helped keep the scam going when they knew damn well what was happening should be charged for helping steal this guys money. It is NOT OK to turn a blind eye when your employer is committing a crime, and it is even worse when you publicly defend your employer and actively try to keep ill-gotten "revenue" coming in.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai

You got to love it!!!
I hope he got a watch too!

BTW, did he place the order online or was it through a person?

Jed M

Jed M

Full Audioholic
I have sold a lot of my friends on AV123 products and pretty much all of them knew about the fiasco but a couple weeks ago I got a call from my old roommate from Las Vegas who has owned Rockets since 2003. He never reads forums but he still gets their emails so when he saw the new G2 center promo they were running he called me to ask 2 questions. 1) why is the price so high. 2) Can he do the trade in after the G2's have been completed. Of course I told him the entire story, but I can see how it happens. Lets say, since its probably been a couple years since I have talked to him, he just decided to call Kyle and ask his opinion instead of looking up a long lost friend? I wonder what Kyle's advice would be in that situation... This isn't a dumb guy, but I can easily see how some people were taken by this new scam if you didn't read forums, yet followed the products through emails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis