Unusual Speakers for the rich and famous

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Above 2k this business is just nonsense. ok maybe 5k. but still it's just nonsense. Perhaps not, maybe it's just more artwork or wood working?
That point of diminishing returns is going to vary for everyone.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
That point of diminishing returns is going to vary for everyone.
Exactly. Yes, some (well most) of the speakers mentioned are stupidly expensive and are way beyond the point of excess coming from a middle class Joe like myself. On the other hand, the very best speakers I have ever heard (that I would actually contemplate buying) start at around $15-20K and topped out at $40-50K. Fortunately, I have not demoed Focal's super upper tier offerings and kind of don't want to - I really do not want to sell my kids for scientific experiments...

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Above 2k this business is just nonsense. ok maybe 5k. but still it's just nonsense. Perhaps not, maybe it's just more artwork or wood working?
Fine furniture is expensive- the wood used can be very pricey, might even be restricted by the Lacey Act, which prohibits selling/shipping certain species that have been placed on the 'protected', 'endangered' or procured illegally.

If they could find a way for exotic materials to improve the sound from speaker cabinets, it might be seen as a good reason for using them but the fact is, they don't. OTOH, I hope nobody makes bedliner the official cabinet covering material.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Fine furniture is expensive- the wood used can be very pricey, might even be restricted by the Lacey Act, which prohibits selling/shipping certain species that have been placed on the 'protected', 'endangered' or procured illegally.

If they could find a way for exotic materials to improve the sound from speaker cabinets, it might be seen as a good reason for using them but the fact is, they don't. OTOH, I hope nobody makes bedliner the official cabinet covering material.
I worked for a roofer who specialized in Eichler homes. That was his “patented” top secret roof for replacing tar and gravel, honestly it worked a heck of a lot better.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Wait a minute... your B&W 702S2s go for $5000/pair at Crutchfield:

And their performance leaves quite a bit to be desired:

Perhaps you'd like to rethink that price target a bit. ;)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I worked for a roofer who specialized in Eichler homes. That was his “patented” top secret roof for replacing tar and gravel, honestly it worked a heck of a lot better.
We have a good number of homes in the Milwaukee area that look very similar and I would imagine they have the same problems with the flat roofs, other than the long Summers. We do, however, have hot stretches that make tar fail and roofs leak. Add the freeze/thaw cycles from Winter/Spring and you have a recipe for trouble.

Did his secret roof solution involve rubber membrane?

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
We have a good number of homes in the Milwaukee area that look very similar and I would imagine they have the same problems with the flat roofs, other than the long Summers. We do, however, have hot stretches that make tar fail and roofs leak. Add the freeze/thaw cycles from Winter/Spring and you have a recipe for trouble.

Did his secret roof solution involve rubber membrane?
Nope, a spray foam insulation layer and line x over the top.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
What I have noted is that you don't need to spend huge amounts to get a good audiophile experience. If you can get 98-99% perfection, that last 1-2% is going to be extraordinarily expensive and unless specially designed for the space you just won't hear the last bit. And my review of my audition of bookshelf speakers looking for the replacements of my Martin Logan LX-16's says that money is not everything. A $900/pair speaker blew away by a lot in my hearing a $2K speaker. I am certain that the bling of the top end may hide a speaker that is awful in reproduction that is just not worth it. I just am not that expense is all type of guy.

Link to my thread and review.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
$93,000 for the Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirit. Man, is that thing ugly.
With that sh*tty color, it might be acceptable for a recreation room but not in a living room. :D Of course, if it provides an acceptable experience at first hearing.

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I did read one glowing review before posting, but sorry.... if I won the lottery they would be on the bottom of the wish list below Pogre's golden turds.
You could have these, i would.
6E1ECCA9-5771-4927-A613-872C2179F3A0.jpeg

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
All these expensive and ridiculous looking speakers proves yet again that very old adage…
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
1619062421454.png

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis