Ukraine – Russia … not more of the last thread

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
If Orban loves Putin so much, why doesn't he quit NATO & EU and join Belarus and Russia in Paradise?
I've had the exact same thought.

I've also wondered why Orban appears to be relatively popular in Hungary. He seems like a twit to me.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
There have been numerous reports about Russian evacuations from Kherson. Here's an example:

I've wondered what is driving this. One guess is that Putin is planning to pull his troops back, then use nukes when Ukrainian forces move in. However, now I'm wondering if it's because the Russians are planning to flood the region by blowing the dam at the Kakhovka power plant:

>>>Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy warned on Thursday of an impending “large-scale disaster” in southern Ukraine, claiming that Russia mined a dam at the Kakhovka hydroelectric power plant in the south of the country.

In an address via videolink to EU leaders meeting in Brussels, Zelenskyy said that Ukraine had information showing Russia had already set charges. Should the dam be destroyed, more than 80 settlements — including the port city of Kherson — could be hit by "rapid flooding," impacting hundreds of thousands of people, he said. <<<

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I've had the exact same thought.

I've also wondered why Orban appears to be relatively popular in Hungary. He seems like a twit to me.
Well, he's not the only popular twit to reach the highest office in the land... ;)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
There have been numerous reports about Russian evacuations from Kherson. Here's an example:

I've wondered what is driving this. One guess is that Putin is planning to pull his troops back, then use nukes when Ukrainian forces move in. However, now I'm wondering if it's because the Russians are planning to flood the region by blowing the dam at the Kakhovka power plant:

>>>Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy warned on Thursday of an impending “large-scale disaster” in southern Ukraine, claiming that Russia mined a dam at the Kakhovka hydroelectric power plant in the south of the country.

In an address via videolink to EU leaders meeting in Brussels, Zelenskyy said that Ukraine had information showing Russia had already set charges. Should the dam be destroyed, more than 80 settlements — including the port city of Kherson — could be hit by "rapid flooding," impacting hundreds of thousands of people, he said. <<<

Good Lord, I hope that is just bad intel.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Good Lord, I hope that is just bad intel.
Unfortunately, it is starting to seem plausible. Here's an article that mentions the possibility:

>>>A further threat to the Ukrainian advance is the fear that the Russians will blow up the Kakhovka hydroelectric power station further down the Dnieper river from Dudchany. That could turn passable land into a swamp. “It is possible as it doesn’t matter to them. They don’t care. If they are losing the areas they don’t mind making the situation for Ukrainians worse.”<<<

As far as I can tell, it looks like the Russians are using disinformation in order to lay the groundwork to blame it on Ukraine:

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
As far as I can tell, it looks like the Russians are using disinformation in order to lay the groundwork to blame it on Ukraine:
I believe that Russian disinformation is not as potent as it used to be, at least not with respect to the brutal Rusian invasion of Ukraine, in large part of the Biden administration policy of being open with the intelligence they have. As you recall the administration was ridiculed for this before the invasion, and not even the Ukrainians took them seriously that an invasion was imminent.

I believe that USA has regained much of the credibility they lost when they lied about the reasons for invading Iraq the second time. Strange thing to say, I know, when we just had Trump as US President. Perhaps I engage in wishful thinking.

In any case, the Biden administration have been awesome in gathering support for Ukraine, and they still are.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
An interesting clip by CNN inside an Ukrainian drone workshop, and even how they modify old grenades to be dropped by drones.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
This is what awaits the newly drafted Russians with no training and no modern equipment.
1666447202671.png

Last edited:
M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Well, he's not the only popular twit to reach the highest office in the land... ;)
It looks like Orban's popularity may be waning. My initial impression is that this is being driven more by the economic situation in Hungary than Orban's stance on Russia.

But, he's still a twit:

And that's my huge opinion.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
It looks like Orban's popularity may be waning. My initial impression is that this is being driven more by the economic situation in Hungary than Orban's stance on Russia.

But, he's still a twit:

And that's my huge opinion.
Not fast enough.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not sure what to make of this letter from the progress wing of Congress to President Biden.

B7B3674EFB12D933EA4A2B97C7405DD4.10-24-22-cpc-letter-for-diplomacy-on-russia-ukraine-conflict.pdf (house.gov)

>>>Your support for the self-defense of an independent, sovereign, and democratic state has been supported by Congress, including through various appropriations of military, economic and humanitarian aid in furtherance of this cause. <<< (italics mine)

This statement seems to imply that their support for further funding is not unconditional and/or never ending. Regardless, the letter seems to be telling Biden how to suck eggs. A negotiated peace? Wow, I bet he never thought of that!

The letter suggests that any negotiated peace has to be acceptable to Ukraine. As I understand it, Ukraine will not cede any territory in the eastern region and will probably demand the return of Crimea. But, Russia will want to see some reward for their investment of lives and treasure. A ceasefire would probably be a precondition for negotiations - which would simply give Russia some breathing room to reinforce/rest/replenish their forces. And, Ukraine would probably demand a withdrawal to pre-invasion borders as a precondition.

They've tossed a dead cat on the table and are just making the situation more difficult for Biden. That said, they aren't as bad as the hard-right wing of the GOP, who would happily throw Ukraine under the bus and not look back.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not sure what to make of this letter from the progress wing of Congress to President Biden.

B7B3674EFB12D933EA4A2B97C7405DD4.10-24-22-cpc-letter-for-diplomacy-on-russia-ukraine-conflict.pdf (house.gov)

>>>Your support for the self-defense of an independent, sovereign, and democratic state has been supported by Congress, including through various appropriations of military, economic and humanitarian aid in furtherance of this cause. <<< (italics mine)

This statement seems to imply that their support for further funding is not unconditional and/or never ending. Regardless, the letter seems to be telling Biden how to suck eggs. A negotiated peace? Wow, I bet he never thought of that!

The letter suggests that any negotiated peace has to be acceptable to Ukraine. As I understand it, Ukraine will not cede any territory in the eastern region and will probably demand the return of Crimea. But, Russia will want to see some reward for their investment of lives and treasure. A ceasefire would probably be a precondition for negotiations - which would simply give Russia some breathing room to reinforce/rest/replenish their forces. And, Ukraine would probably demand a withdrawal to pre-invasion borders as a precondition.

They've tossed a dead cat on the table and are just making the situation more difficult for Biden. That said, they aren't as bad as the hard-right wing of the GOP, who would happily throw Ukraine under the bus and not look back.
I'm bit perplexed as well about their letter, as I read about it in the press, but they do have a demand for diplomacy towards a free and independent Ukraine. They feel that Biden is not doing enough with respect to diplomacy?

I don't read their letter as appeasement, though.

>>>We are under no illusions regarding the difficulties involved in engaging Russia given its
outrageous and illegal invasion of Ukraine and its decision to make additional illegal annexations
of Ukrainian territory. However, if there is a way to end the war while preserving a free and
independent Ukraine, it is America’s responsibility to pursue every diplomatic avenue to support
such a solution that is acceptable to the people of Ukraine.
[bold added] Such a framework would presumably
include incentives to end hostilities, including some form of sanctions relief, and bring together
the international community to establish security guarantees for a free and independent Ukraine
that are acceptable for all parties, particularly Ukrainians. The alternative to diplomacy is
protracted war, with both its attendant certainties and catastrophic and unknowable risks. <<<

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I'm bit perplexed as well about their letter, as I read about it in the press, but they do have a demand for diplomacy towards a free and independent Ukraine. They feel that Biden is not doing enough with respect to diplomacy?

I don't read their letter as appeasement, though.

>>>We are under no illusions regarding the difficulties involved in engaging Russia given its
outrageous and illegal invasion of Ukraine and its decision to make additional illegal annexations
of Ukrainian territory. However, if there is a way to end the war while preserving a free and
independent Ukraine, it is America’s responsibility to pursue every diplomatic avenue to support
such a solution that is acceptable to the people of Ukraine.
[bold added] Such a framework would presumably
include incentives to end hostilities, including some form of sanctions relief, and bring together
the international community to establish security guarantees for a free and independent Ukraine
that are acceptable for all parties, particularly Ukrainians. The alternative to diplomacy is
protracted war, with both its attendant certainties and catastrophic and unknowable risks. <<<
No, I wouldn't call it appeasement either. Just not sure what it will accomplish.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis