Ukraine – Russia … not more of the last thread

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Indeed, and the chart is for in-kind military commitments that are disclosed. Some countries does not have much relevant military hardware to spare or that doing so might reduce their own security, or have laws making it difficult to give military hardware to countries in conflict.

There is also humanitarian aid and so on that appears not to be counted in the chart.
"Disclosed" military commitments are an important point. There is a good deal of "nondisclosed" or covert weaponry and personnel that we don't see. Also and importantly, the number of ex military from many nations that are making the ultimate sacrifice and have volunteered to fight there along side UKR regulars deserves more recognition.

It's a true show of courage and sacrifice for all times in contrast to feckless & craven national leaders and their legions of bureaucrats.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't see anything the chart that says the commitments are based on GDP so I just assumed that it's total amount.
You're right- I was thinking of NATO membership dues, which was 1.2%, but members committed to increasing it to 2% of GDP.

I guess I'll just shut up now.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
photo_2022-06-17 17.25.24.jpeg

The European Commission has supported candidacy for Ukraine to join the EU

Now it is up to European leaders to make a final decision on granting our country the status of a candidate for the European Union at the summit on 23-24 June.

Ukraine is grateful to the President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen for her support.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
This is what a Ukrainian rave party looks like right now.
Victory is ours!

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
The European Commission has published the list of Ukraine's next steps on its way to the EU.jpeg

⚡ The European Commission has published the list of Ukraine's next steps on its way to the EUEC website
The European Commission has recommended that the European Council give Ukraine the prospect of becoming an EU member and "grant Ukraine candidate status assuming that the following steps will be taken:
• adopting and implementing legislation on the procedure for selecting judges of the Constitutional Court of Ukraine
• further strengthening the efforts to fight corruption through active and effective investigations
• ensuring compliance of money laundering legislation
• implementing a comprehensive strategic plan for reforming the entire law enforcement sector
• implementing the anti-oligarch law
• adopting a media law
• completing the reform of the legislation for national minorities

It has been noted that the European Commission will be monitoring Ukraine's progress in implementing those steps and will report on them along with a detailed assessment of the country by the end of 2022.

source: https://t.me/ukrainenowenglish/11054

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
But the total is still more than the amount from the lowest nine countries on that chart, combined.

Yeah, there are many failures in leadership in the US.
I assume it's not per capita as it says we have 20.94T (2020). Polland's is a fraction of ours, so basically we suck.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I wonder if it's we're giving them hardware in increments or something?

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
They are spineless cowards without any guts

Norway deliver more military aid to Ukraine than Germany, Italy and France combined :eek:
No surprise there. Norway is more independent minded traditionally and has a healthy distrust of full EU membership with their layers of spaghetti regulations.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
No surprise there. Norway is more independent minded traditionally and has a healthy distrust of full EU membership with their layers of spaghetti regulations.
They are members of EEA and Schengen area, though.

The EEA implies that many/most(?) of the regulations have to be followed, pay a lot of money for access to the EU free market while having no votes. I think it would be much better for Norway to be member of EU, and I voted so in the last referendum, with the exception of having to use Euro.

Schengen area is for free movement of people inside the area, but have it's own set of rules and regulations to follow.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
They are members of EEA and Schengen area, though.

The EEA implies that many/most(?) of the regulations have to be followed, pay a lot of money for access to the EU free market while having no votes. I think it would be much better for Norway to be member of EU, and I voted so in the last referendum, with the exception of having to use Euro.

Schengen area is for free movement of people inside the area, but have it's own set of rules and regulations to follow.

With respect to the EEA, IMHO I would let things remain as they are. The EEA gives them access to most of the better economic aspects of the EU while avoiding the worst, mainly the erosion of national sovereignty. Norway, and Iceland as well, would do well to stay away from Brussels especially since they would be fully subject to EU Agricultural and their Common Fisheries Policy rules which would probably devestate the waters off their coasts.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
With respect to the EEA, IMHO I would let things remain as they are. The EEA gives them access to most of the better economic aspects of the EU while avoiding the worst, mainly the erosion of national sovereignty. Norway, and Iceland as well, would do well to stay away from Brussels especially since they would be fully subject to EU Agricultural and their Common Fisheries Policy rules which would probably devestate the waters off their coasts.
EEA membership in itself is a significant loss of national sovereignty while not having any voting rights and little influence as well on EU decisions. A real downside is the Euro, though, unless Norway could negotiate an exception. I don’t think Norway is going to apply for EU membership any time soon.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
EEA membership in itself is a significant loss of national sovereignty while not having any voting rights and little influence as well on EU decisions. A real downside is the Euro, though, unless Norway could negotiate an exception. I don’t think Norway is going to apply for EU membership any time soon.
Agree, especially with respect to the Euro. It's always about the "trade offs".

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Agree, especially with respect to the Euro. It's always about the "trade offs".
The Euro area does not have a transfer system that can help member states in need forcing them to deflationary actions instead of floating their currency. In a way it’s like being shackled to a gold standard. As for transfers you can think what would happen in an US state if Social Security was cut while the state has to do other drastic cuts.

Now, to bring this back to the topic of this thread: I find it ironic that Germany is so concerned about cutting off Russian oil and gas while adamant during the Euro crisis that countries should undertake severe cuts.

edit: auto correct is a mixed blessing.

Last edited:
SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
The Euro area does not have a transfer system that can help member states in need finding them to deflationary actions instead of floating their currency. In a way it’s like boring l being shackled to a gold standard. As for transfers you can think what happen in an US state if Social Security was cut while the state has to do other drastic cuts.

Now, to bring this back to the topic of this thread I find it ironic that Germany is so concerned about cutting off Russian oil and gas while adamant during the Euro crisis that countries should undertake sever cuts.
That's one of the bigger issues within the EU bloc. It's demonstrably run mainly for German, and secondly, France's benefit. There are so many examples but the Greek Debt issue highlighted that. The hypocrisy is legion. I don't know how the rest of the EU, especially, the Dutch put up with it.

Their performance during this crisis is an extension of the above.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
You forgot to say "insane tax regulations" o_O

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
It is my clear impression that the admins at diyaudio supports ruzzia and the war against Ukraine
If you state any kind of support to Ukraine, your posts will be deleted and if you provide consistent posision of supporting Ukraine you will get banned.

I suggest time to delete the accounts at diyaudio

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis