Ukraine – Russia … not more of the last thread

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
1736AAED-3278-4D6B-8B78-1F0986591F23.jpeg

The last evacuees from Mariupol report that Russians began to interrogate even children

After interrogating the parents in their presence, they begin to clarify the interrogation of the children – they are trying to catch the parents in a lie, writes Petro Andryushchenko, adviser to the mayor of Mariupol.

source: https://t.me/ukrainenowenglish/7996

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
He doesn't have to have "those types of resources" the stupid man, like North Korea, can just push a button. Push a delusional person just so far, then they snap.
There's been plenty of speculation that Putin is suffering from some illness that has effected his judgment. The Newsline article (link below) doesn't provide proof that Putin is having health problems, but it seems to be a bit better than some of the reports floating around.

If Putin is sick, and if he's being treated with prednisone, he might be mentally unstable (I'm not convinced he is, hence the 2 "ifs" and a "might"). This could go either way, though. Perhaps Russia wants the West to think Putin might unstable so they take his threats seriously, or at least have uncertainty about it. Or, as the article speculates, perhaps the rumors are being circulated to weaken Putin internally. Of course, people could be starting the rumors for some other reason(s).

>>>An oligarch close to the Kremlin was recorded on a tape saying the president is ‘very ill with blood cancer.’ Is this true, idle speculation or disinformation designed to make an erratic and paranoid dictator vulnerable?
. . .
Myeloma, even the more aggressive forms of it, doesn’t necessarily require chemotherapy at all anymore. It can often be treated with immnuno-modulatory agents and steroids . . . Steroids – a common one is prednisone – attack malignant lymphocytes that circulate in the blood, but they are also known for two common side effects.

The first is a high risk of infection owing to how badly they deplete immune cells. “Anyone on heavy doses of steroids will find it much easier to contract COVID-19,” Grossman said, which might account for Putin’s extreme germophobia and recourse to Howard Hughes-like seclusion. Pneumonia, too, can easily kill an immunocompromised steroid user.

And the second side effect?

Deeply irrational or paranoid behavior.”<<<

I do wonder if the article above is overstating the side effects of steroid treatment with regards to behavioral changes. The list of side effects at the Mayo website is longer and somewhat less alarming.

Having said that, even if Putin doesn't have cancer or some other illness, he does seem to be at least halfway off his rocker.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
There's been plenty of speculation that Putin is suffering from some illness that has effected his judgment. The Newsline article (link below) doesn't provide proof that Putin is having health problems, but it seems to be a bit better than some of the reports floating around.

If Putin is sick, and if he's being treated with prednisone, he might be mentally unstable (I'm not convinced he is, hence the 2 "ifs" and a "might"). This could go either way, though. Perhaps Russia wants the West to think Putin might unstable so they take his threats seriously, or at least have uncertainty about it. Or, as the article speculates, perhaps the rumors are being circulated to weaken Putin internally. Of course, people could be starting the rumors for some other reason(s).

>>>An oligarch close to the Kremlin was recorded on a tape saying the president is ‘very ill with blood cancer.’ Is this true, idle speculation or disinformation designed to make an erratic and paranoid dictator vulnerable?
. . .
Myeloma, even the more aggressive forms of it, doesn’t necessarily require chemotherapy at all anymore. It can often be treated with immnuno-modulatory agents and steroids . . . Steroids – a common one is prednisone – attack malignant lymphocytes that circulate in the blood, but they are also known for two common side effects.

The first is a high risk of infection owing to how badly they deplete immune cells. “Anyone on heavy doses of steroids will find it much easier to contract COVID-19,” Grossman said, which might account for Putin’s extreme germophobia and recourse to Howard Hughes-like seclusion. Pneumonia, too, can easily kill an immunocompromised steroid user.

And the second side effect?

Deeply irrational or paranoid behavior.”<<<
I do wonder if the article above is overstating the side effects of steroid treatment with regards to behavioral changes. The list of side effects at the Mayo website is longer and somewhat less alarming.
Having said that, even if Putin doesn't have cancer or some other illness, he does seem to be at least halfway off his rocker.
Thanks for posting that. It's a better article than some of the poorly written stuff I've seen on this topic. Still, the only facts we know for certain is that we know very little. The take-home message from that Newlines article is
Whether these sources are telling the truth or trying to sow disinformation is unknown.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

. . .
But Multiple Myeloma can be more lethal- that's what recently killed a friend of mine.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

This video (posted 5/9/22) purportedly shows an American M777 in operation in Ukraine.

According to Google translate, the video caption is:

"The first shots of the Armed Forces of Ukraine from American M777 howitzers at Russian troops in eastern Ukraine."

I don't know if this is true, of course, but I doubt that there are very many M777s in action at this point.
Is this the artillery that fires out to 30+ miles?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Finland is getting ever closer to joining NATO. Well done, Putin. You're driving more countries into the arms of your perceived enemy.
(14) Finland joining NATO is a threat to Russia, says the Kremlin (cnn.com)
On Sunday the Swedish Socialdemocrats (government party) will announce the party decision on NATO membership and it is expected to be: yes. There will then be a majority for membership in the Parliament and an application will be sent quickly.

Putler did a huge miscalculation here.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
On Sunday the Swedish Socialdemocrats (government party) will announce the party decision on NATO membership and it is expected to be: yes. There will then be a majority for membership in the Parliament and an application will be sent quickly.

Putler did a huge miscalculation here.
What do people in your area think about Sweden and Finland joining NATO?

I've read news reports that Turkey is not happy about it, but it's not entirely clear why this is. (assuming the reports are correct)

I'm curious what you see since you're a lot closer. From a distance it's not always easy to know if the news reports are capturing what is actually going on. I'll readily admit that my understanding of the politics of Europe is limited.

Here's another example. The support for pro-Putin leaders in Hungary and Serbia is incomprehensible to me:

>>>The parliamentary elections in Hungary and Serbia both brought landslide wins for the two countries’ longtime, pro-Putin leaders — Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban and Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic.<<<

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-putin-china-europe-aleksandar-vucic-a3feb0501e1b5c3fac46676d6cf34a94

I guess the people in these countries are not only perfectly okay with Russia invading other countries and slaughtering people, but they actively support this? Once again, this is incomprehensible to me.

Not sure if you have any insights?

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
CF6BEB41-97B5-49EA-9988-865B6C60A7F2.jpeg

The heads of the embassies of Great Britain, the United States, Germany and France met in Kyiv for the first time since the beginning of the war. From left to right: British Ambassador Melinda Simmons, US Chargé d'Affaires Christina Quinn, German Ambassador Anka Feldhusen, Deputy French Ambassador Bruno Caussanel.

source:https://t.me/ukrainenowenglish/8007

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
"There were rumors that I hanged myself in a cell." – Viktor Marunyaka, the headman of Kherson released from captivity, spoke about torture and interrogations he experienced

Viktor Marunyak, the headman of Stara Zburyevka, was abducted by Russians and tortured for several weeks. Finally, together with his wife, he managed to evacuate.

He speaks about captivity:

They brought me to one of the bases - "Zburovsky Corner". I was kept there for the first three days. The room was cement, and cool. The first night we slept standing up. They beat me for the first day, then the second day and the third.
Then we slept while sitting. They could only give us a cup of tea in the morning – the whole meal for the day. For two, three hours they were keeping us undressed. Then they say, now we will go to the river, you will swim and you will drown. Or they point a gun at one of us and say, “Whether you will speak up or not. Let's shoot him now."

On the fourth day, they put a sack over our heads and took us away. Moved to Kherson. There they have beaten us again. Then they brought an anesthetic phone that produced current. They started to beat me with a significant current. Somehow they do it all with pleasure. Several more interrogations followed.

Then they took me to our district back, I went to the hospital. I’ve stayed there for ten days. My relatives lived near the hospital. I spent the night there, washed my face for the first time, and ate something. I was able to call my wife because for three weeks she didn't know where I was at all. Nobody knew. There were rumors that I hanged myself in the cell. While I was gone, my wife had two searches. Either searches, or looting. They stole everything from food to gold.

And two days ago they were looking for me again in the village. We already left, and got out just in time. And three days ago, the door was broken in the house, because there was a rotation. They left with the loot, and now they are robbing new houses…

Source: https://t.me/ukrainenowenglish/8011

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
F658575A-D015-4BA9-AE80-4C56BCDD8DB4.jpeg

⚡Olha Rudenko, editor-in-chief of the English-language Ukrainian edition "Kyiv Independent", became the heroine of the cover of "Time"

"Writing about the war in your country is both a blessing and a curse. Curse because you can't turn off the news. It's your job to watch the atrocities. However, as a journalist, you have the privilege of doing work that really helps others", - Olha said in an interview with "Time".

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
☝According to the American Institute for War Research, the Armed Forces likely won the battle for Kharkiv:

“Ukrainian forces prevented Russian troops from encircling, let alone capturing, Kharkov, and then drove them out of the city, as they did with Russian troops trying to capture Kyiv.”

The Armed Forces of Ukraine intend to violate at least the westernmost of the land lines between Belgorod and Russian troops concentrated around Izyum.

Also, Russian troops tried to conduct a land offensive from Izyum, but to no avail.

source: https://t.me/ukrainenowenglish/8024

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
putler wanted to make russia a country with a prosperous economy - he made it a world gas station.

putler wanted to protect the russian-speakers, he killed tens of thousands of Russian-speakers.

putler wanted to denazify Ukraine - russia became the most Nazi country in the world.

putler wanted to glorify the russian army, the whole world saw that it was a colossus with feet of clay, a bunch of murderers and marauders without honor.

putler wanted to demilitarize Ukraine - Ukrainian army has become the strongest in Europe.

putler wanted to stop NATO's advance to the East - NATO is approaching the borders of Russia as close as ever.

putler wanted to make russia a great country, he receives hatred and contempt of the whole world.

In general, he flushed russia down the toilet.

Strategist, what can I say.

(c) Edward Yakerson

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Back to tanks for second. Here's an interesting article with a good historical sweep of the evolution of tank warfare up to date. Is this war demonstrating the tank era is over as some are arguing or are things just evolving as they must? Probably the latter coupled with bad tank designs showing their flaws under fire.

“Tanks are like dinner jackets. You don’t need them very often, but when you do, nothing else will do.” Australian Maj. Gen. Kathryn Toohey in 2019:

highfigh

highfigh

Back to tanks for second. Here's an interesting article with a good historical sweep of the evolution of tank warfare up to date. Is this war demonstrating the tank era is over as some are arguing or are things just evolving as they must? Probably the latter coupled with bad tank designs showing their flaws under fire.

“Tanks are like dinner jackets. You don’t need them very often, but when you do, nothing else will do.” Australian Maj. Gen. Kathryn Toohey in 2019:

And Russian tanks have that pesky (for them) Jack In The Box flaw, where the turret flies off when hit. Too bad.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
photo_2022-05-15 01.36.39.jpeg

The Ukrainian rescue dog Patron was presented with an embroidered shirt.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
photo_2022-05-15 01.39.32.jpeg

A Ukrainian woman with the call sign "Jane" commands the National Guard Rapid Response Brigade. The war for her has began 8 years ago. The girl started as a volunteer, but soon realized that this was not enough for her so she took up arms.

She's been defending Ukrainian positions near Rubizhne and Severodonetsk since the beginning of the full-scale invasion. The most memorable moment was an enemy anti-tank shell exploding nearby as Jane was rescuing her brother-in-arms.

"When our position was "deconstructed", the guys managed to take out one wounded guy, I and another guy with the call sign "Arco" tried to patch him up in the middle of a street. So I bandage his head, and then look up and see an RPG missile exploding near. I got lucky then. Arko was injured because shrapnel hit him in the arm and leg. "

According to Ukrayinska Pravda.

Source: https://t.me/ukrainenowenglish/8072

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan

⚡russian military allegedly use phosphorous bombs against Ukrainian defenders at "Azovstal" plant.

May 14th, russia used incendiary or phosphorus bombs against Ukrainian defenders in Mariupol. The russian military claim that these are 9M22S incendiary shells with thermite layers.

"The combustion temperature is about 2-2.5 thousand degrees Celsius. It is almost impossible to stop the burning. Hell came down to earth. In "Azovstal". It's incredible how our Defenders are holding up. We are all in gratuitous debt to them" - said adviser to the mayor of Mariupol, Petro Andryushchenko.

kilde: https://t.me/ukrainenowenglish/8106

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
What do people in your area think about Sweden and Finland joining NATO?

I've read news reports that Turkey is not happy about it, but it's not entirely clear why this is. (assuming the reports are correct)

I'm curious what you see since you're a lot closer. From a distance it's not always easy to know if the news reports are capturing what is actually going on. I'll readily admit that my understanding of the politics of Europe is limited.

Here's another example. The support for pro-Putin leaders in Hungary and Serbia is incomprehensible to me:

>>>The parliamentary elections in Hungary and Serbia both brought landslide wins for the two countries’ longtime, pro-Putin leaders — Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban and Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic.<<<

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-putin-china-europe-aleksandar-vucic-a3feb0501e1b5c3fac46676d6cf34a94

I guess the people in these countries are not only perfectly okay with Russia invading other countries and slaughtering people, but they actively support this? Once again, this is incomprehensible to me.

Not sure if you have any insights?
I don't have any special insights but many Swedes have changed their position on membership of NATO though not as dramatically as the Finns. Many in Sweden still cherishes their old neutrality but are forgetting that this requires a strong military and Sweden has reduced their military around the turn of the century. Some even has the attitude that NATO will defend Sweden in an attack anyway so no membership is needed, go figure.

highfigh

highfigh

I don't have any special insights but many Swedes have changed their position on membership of NATO though not as dramatically as the Finns. Many in Sweden still cherishes their old neutrality but are forgetting that this requires a strong military and Sweden has reduced their military around the turn of the century. Some even has the attitude that NATO will defend Sweden in an attack anyway so no membership is needed, go figure.
I think Sweden needs to re-think their attitude of "If Russia attacks, we'll let the rest of the World handle it. We're too busy being neutral.".

At some point, people need to decide how they stand on this kind of thing and IMO, neutrality is a fragile concept.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis