Two SVS-SP2000 or 2-SB3000?PLEASE HALP!

• Thread starter RUreceivingMYtransmission
  • Start date
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Being almost 50/50 HT$music (and based on my room), would you recommend the ULS15 or the VTF3? I like the idea of closing ports and have a little added control.
Flip a coin? :).

The VTF3 can run sealed or 1 port open or 2 ports open so that’s my vote by a slim margin My guess is you will want it in 1 port open once you watch some action movies. :)

R

RUreceivingMYtransmission

Audioholic Intern
Flip a coin? :).

The VTF3 can run sealed or 1 port open or 2 ports open so that’s my vote by a slim margin My guess is you will want it in 1 port open once you watch some action movies. :)
I guess I'm just scared these ported subs aren't going to have the musical accuracy I want. Cheaper/boomy subs, like the two PSW505's I currently own, have put the fear in me:eek:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I was trying to see if the ULS uses the same driver, but they only mention motor components, which leads me to believe the actual driver is different... maybe just the same magnet, they mention that he shorting rings... perhaps the voice coil is the same.
I don’t hav a quality concern here. I think all of Hsu’s subs will give you a slightly elevated mid-bass presence. The only thing that limits my personal consideration of a truly sealed box is the aspect of room or cabin gain: you would need to build a little squad of any sealed sub as I understand it, to get the type of extension that you can get with ported boxes. That effect would be more pronounced if you room was more closed off. As it is with an open floor plan, I think you can get a little better performance from the Vtf 3 (or vtf15).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I guess I'm just scared these ported subs aren't going to have the musical accuracy I want. Cheaper/boomy subs, like the two PSW505's I currently own, have put the fear in me:eek:
Having direct experience with the 505 I can tell you there is noooo reason to fear a ported sub. And as mentioned, SVS has an amazing round trip return policy so... a couple pc2k’s would be pretty sweet! And they’re smaller footprint and lighter weight makes them more manageable.

I was trying to see if the ULS uses the same driver, but they only mention motor components, which leads me to believe the actual driver is different... maybe just the same magnet, they mention that he shorting rings... perhaps the voice coil is the same.
I don’t hav a quality concern here. I think all of Hsu’s subs will give you a slightly elevated mid-bass presence. The only thing that limits my personal consideration of a truly sealed box is the aspect of room or cabin gain: you would need to build a little squad of any sealed sub as I understand it, to get the type of extension that you can get with ported boxes. That effect would be more pronounced if you room was more closed off. As it is with an open floor plan, I think you can get a little better performance from the Vtf 3 (or vtf15).
Ime, room gain is exaggerated by some people. Especially when we’re talking about being useful around the tuning point of a ported sub(we’ll say 20hz for now). In that range it can take 4 sealed subs to equal its output. And even then, we’re talking about extra excursion and possibly distortion. Midbass and music is a little different but in a dual purpose room, it’s ported for me all the way.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You’re comparing pineapples to kumquats, man. :) Big intimidating spiky flavorful pineapples vs small tiny miniature citrus fruit that can be more seed than anything delicious. :cool:
If you are nervous about Hsu, then perhaps you should consider svs. Their price is higher because the do build in the cost of free shipping... both ways, plus their upgrade in a year policy. Get 2 of what you want to try, and if you don’t like it, pack’em back up and get the next option from them. *shrugs.
That’s why they have that policy. ;)

R

Audioholic Intern
Having direct experience with the 505 I can tell you there is noooo reason to fear a ported sub. And as mentioned, SVS has an amazing round trip return policy so... a couple pc2k’s would be pretty sweet! And they’re smaller footprint and lighter weight makes them more manageable.

Ime, room gain is exaggerated by some people. Especially when we’re talking about being useful around the tuning point of a ported sub(we’ll say 20hz for now). In that range it can take 4 sealed subs to equal its output. And even then, we’re talking about extra excursion and possibly distortion. Midbass and music is a little different but in a dual purpose room, it’s ported for me all the way.
Cannot express how much I appreciate the input.
Thank you guys!

R

Audioholic Intern
You’re comparing pineapples to kumquats, man. :) Big intimidating spiky flavorful pineapples vs small tiny miniature citrus fruit that can be more seed than anything delicious. :cool:
If you are nervous about Hsu, then perhaps you should consider svs. Their price is higher because the do build in the cost of free shipping... both ways, plus their upgrade in a year policy. Get 2 of what you want to try, and if you don’t like it, pack’em back up and get the next option from them. *shrugs.
That’s why they have that policy. ;)
I want them pineapples! Lol

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Cannot express how much I appreciate the input.
Thank you guys!
Hey man, just hope I can give you something useful to think about. It’s your call to make, but the more info the better. I have no doubt you’ll be blown away by any of the subs in this conversation. As for the 505, believe it or not, I traded an SVS sb2000 for it. Yep, true story. I already had/have 2 pc12pluses and all he had was the 505. So, he gave it to me with a pair of JBL BS speakers. Wtf...lol. Anyway, for the money, and the unannointed the 505 is fun. But once you hear/feel real bass, you can’t UN feel it. Btw, got anything in the cart yet? Lol

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Then as William said, don’t fear now because of your old Polk experience.
In fact, that wasn’t an experience. Just a bad dream. ;) Sorta like Fischer Price: My First Subwoofer.
When you get one of these big-boy subs. You will understand!
I bought mine sight unseen and unheard... the x-13s. I have zero complaints. I run them in extended mode: 1 port open, eq1. And I have no complaints thus far about musicality. @CB22 has a different room and experience than I do. That is in no way meant to belittle his advice. The fact that you get two different, or 20 different, opinions and suggestions is what helps make this so special!
I will add, during my search, I had a lot of the same suggestions being made to me, and I got to watch 2 different friends here whose opinions and advice I greatly respect discuss the benefits of sealed vs ported for my application. They both kinda agreed that 4 uls15s in my closed 2000’3 room would be pretty amazing based on cabin gain, but in the end, for me I wanted something I knew could reproduce 16Hz as a stand-alone unit, not requiring that I buy 4! ;) I have no regrets.

Though the 2000 series from SVS would be good, the 3000 will be better. Same difference between the VTF2 and either the VTF 3 or 15. Stepping up in weight class like that buys you significant headroom and output. My subs are each rated for pressurizing a 5000’3 room. I have 2 in 2000’3!

That’s just my way of saying: you’ll b fine! ;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Then as William said, don’t fear now because of your old Polk experience.
In fact, that wasn’t an experience. Just a bad dream. ;) Sorta like Fischer Price: My First Subwoofer.
When you get one of these big-boy subs. You will understand!
I bought mine sight unseen and unheard... the x-13s. I have zero complaints. I run them in extended mode: 1 port open, eq1. And I have no complaints thus far about musicality. @CB22 has a different room and experience than I do. That is in no way meant to belittle his advice. The fact that you get two different, or 20 different, opinions and suggestions is what helps make this so special!
I will add, during my search, I had a lot of the same suggestions being made to me, and I got to watch 2 different friends here whose opinions and advice I greatly respect discuss the benefits of sealed vs ported for my application. They both kinda agreed that 4 uls15s in my closed 2000’3 room would be pretty amazing based on cabin gain, but in the end, for me I wanted something I knew could reproduce 16Hz as a stand-alone unit, not requiring that I buy 4! ;) I have no regrets.

Though the 2000 series from SVS would be good, the 3000 will be better. Same difference between the VTF2 and either the VTF 3 or 15. Stepping up in weight class like that buys you significant headroom and output. My subs are each rated for pressurizing a 5000’3 room. I have 2 in 2000’3!

That’s just my way of saying: you’ll b fine! ;)
This!

And FP, my first subwoofer!!! Lmao.... makes me think of drums from the sears catalog(yes, I’m a drummer).

To touch on Ryan’s point, it’s kinda like asking 10 carpenters how to build a house. You’ll get at least 10 answers. Besides, we’re just her to spend other people’s money. Oops! That was an inside thought...

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Yep! I think the room is a VERY big part of it. You have your X-13 positioned directly to the left and right of you, which I'd imagine to be ideal for the best bass dispersion, unfortunately I do not have the space to do this. However, with mine in the corner the bass seems to always be very "lively". Got my Mini DSP UMIK 1 in about a week ago and once I get REW figured out I think the graphs will show what I'm taking about with my mid-bass issue. Also the HSU has a "Q-control," which controls the bass tightness. This comes in very useful for Jazz/ Classical.

Same difference between the VTF2 and either the VTF 3 or 15
Agreed, that why I'd go with the ULS MK2.

To the OP:You'd be surprised, I've pushed the MK2 to it's limits with "Edge, Die, Repeat" and "U-51" and it handed it. Probably not a good thing to do but it made it and handed the changes in bass notes just fine. So go for best quality you can afford. Also I can tell you now with your room you will probably want three subs and place one in the dining room to kill the null area. But get 2 to start off and go from there.

Not to rule out the SVS pb 4000 though. If I had a huge HT room I would kill to own these:D:D:D. I can dream.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Holy Mother of... Wow, those are no longer subs, those are works of art. They're also a downpayment on a house, lol.
Ha. Not if you live in CA. That's only a months rent or so. ;)

Until you start talking Funk. That is some seriously epic stuff, right up there with Salk Sound in terms of finished cabinets

R

Audioholic Intern
Yep! I think the room is a VERY big part of it. You have your X-13 positioned directly to the left and right of you, which I'd imagine to be ideal for the best bass dispersion, unfortunately I do not have the space to do this. However, with mine in the corner the bass seems to always be very "lively". Got my Mini DSP UMIK 1 in about a week ago and once I get REW figured out I think the graphs will show what I'm taking about with my mid-bass issue. Also the HSU has a "Q-control," which controls the bass tightness. This comes in very useful for Jazz/ Classical.

Agreed, that why I'd go with the ULS MK2.

To the OP:You'd be surprised, I've pushed the MK2 to it's limits with "Edge, Die, Repeat" and "U-51" and it handed it. Probably not a good thing to do but it made it and handed the changes in bass notes just fine. So go for best quality you can afford. Also I can tell you now with your room you will probably want three subs and place one in the dining room to kill the null area. But get 2 to start off and go from there.

Not to rule out the SVS pb 4000 though. If I had a huge HT room I would kill to own these:D:D:D. I can dream.
And dream we both will...
I thought
Ha. Not if you live in CA. That's only a months rent or so. ;)

Until you start talking Funk. That is some seriously epic stuff, right up there with Salk Sound in terms of finished cabinets
I don't doubt that!
THOUGHT YOU GUYS MIGHT BE INTERESTED TO KNOW:
When they sent me one of my RP8000fs, it had a huge scratch on it. I took pics and filed a claim w UPS. They replaced it (recieved it today) and they just told me to do whatever I want w the tower$$$:p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis