Two SVS-SP2000 or 2-SB3000?PLEASE HALP!

• Thread starter RUreceivingMYtransmission
  • Start date
R

RUreceivingMYtransmission

Audioholic Intern
I need council here. Because of my room size 28x12 w 8ft ceilings (not acoustically ideal, see pics),I came to the conclusion that I needed to go ported. But now I'm really having an internal conflict: Is it just better to spend the extra $500 for the sealed SB3000's instead? I listen to 60% Home Theater/40% music. The SP3000 (ported) is out of the question$$$. Am I better off w 300 additional watts w a 13" driver ,but sealed? Will I still get the "chest thump" from the sealed 3000's like w the ported 2000's in movies? Any input in this decision would be helpful, especially if you've heard both.
Thank you guys!

Attachments

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I need council here. Because of my room size 28x12 w 8ft ceilings (not acoustically ideal, see pics),I came to the conclusion that I needed to go ported. But now I'm really having an internal conflict: Is it just better to spend the extra $500 for the sealed SB3000's instead? I listen to 60% Home Theater/40% music. The SP3000 (ported) is out of the question$$$. Am I better off w 300 additional watts w a 13" driver ,but sealed? Will I still get the "chest thump" from the sealed 3000's like w the ported 2000's in movies? Any input in this decision would be helpful, especially if you've heard both.
Thank you guys!
In a 2700 cu ft space the PB2000 or HSU VTF2 ported 12in will work well. A pair of HSU ULS15 sealed subs would be cool if the room is not open to adjacent space. (Subs see all the space open to them). Good luck! :)

R

Audioholic Intern
In a 2700 cu ft space the PB2000 or HSU VTF2 ported 12in will work well. A pair of HSU ULS15 sealed subs would be cool if the room is not open to adjacent space. (Subs see all the space open to them). Good luck! :)
Gun to your head: Are you picking the PB2000 or the VTF2. Just curious :p

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The “chest thump” is up higher than you think. @shadyJ has an article on this site and it says 100 Hz is where that sensation is the strongest.

If you really want that, maybe the HSU VTF3 ported 15 is an option. Not sure if this would be overkill if your room is sealed. :)

R

Audioholic Intern
The “chest thump” is up higher than you think. @shadyJ has an article on this site and it says 100 Hz is where that sensation is the strongest.

If you really want that, maybe the HSU VTF3 ported 15 is an option. Not sure if this would be overkill if your room is sealed. :)
The only thing about ported subs is that I've always gone w the cheaper ported stuff (bc of income at the time)that was so boomy. But I have confidence that these better quality products give better clarity and boom...

R

Audioholic Intern
Hard choice. PB2000 is tuned lower but VTF2 has mid bass advantage in music that I wouldn’t want to trade for lows.
You've made my choice harder, but I appreciate that :cool:

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The only thing about ported subs is that I've always gone w the cheaper ported stuff (bc of income at the time)that was so boomy. But I have confidence that these better quality products give better clarity and boom...
The cheap subs are not comparable. Choosing SVS or HSU is a choice where you won’t lose either way.

R

Audioholic Intern
The cheap subs are not comparable. Choosing SVS or HSU is a choice where you won’t lose either way.
Man, now I'm really starting to lean towards the VTF-3 MK5 (As you suggested in my previous thread). Just doesn't seem like you can get a better price/ quality ratio like that anywhere...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'd agree with this too. Its hard to go wrong with either brand. I think I said it before: 2 vtf2 or two of the SVS 2000 series will work well. 2x VTF3 will own that room!
If the price is right, I think you'll be happy.
And for the record, Shady is a long time Hsu owner. He does a good job of not spilling the beans, but the cat is out of the bag. He reviews subs. He owns Hsu. ;)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'd agree with this too. Its hard to go wrong with either brand. I think I said it before: 2 vtf2 or two of the SVS 2000 series will work well. 2x VTF3 will own that room!
If the price is right, I think you'll be happy.
And for the record, Shady is a long time Hsu owner. He does a good job of not spilling the beans, but the cat is out of the bag. He reviews subs. He owns Hsu. ;)
I also have a couple outlaw subs too, some LFM-1 EX subs. But those are basically Hsu VTF-3 mk3s with a slightly higher tuning point and down-firing design. But I would have no problem owning SVS, Monoprice Monolith, or higher end subs from Deep Sea Sound, Funk, or JTR. Also, the sub I have in for review right now is humdinger!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I want your job, @shadyJ . ;)
Can't wait for the new review!!!

BTW, do you still rock your two sealed Hsu like desktop headphones?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

I also read that article and found it interesting that he mentions a good number of beer involved and a 10db null at 31hz. Ime and during my experiments 100hz doesn’t offer that much by itself but 30-70 has a lot of chest thump. Most car audio bass hits are in the 30’s and IMO a 10db null at 31hz during their experiment is significant. Just saying my observations have been different is all. Also the bass knob of a lot of systems is centered at 50hz and IMO that’s not by accident.

OP, go ported. There is NOOO comparison to any of the subs your looking compared to cheaper ported subs of your past. Once you experience your first quality ported sub, you’ll ever be the same.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
OP, go ported. Once you experience your first quality ported sub, you’ll ever be the same.
I'd agree that, but I had the same Klipsch 5.1 and when I upgraded ULS MK2 I was blow away by that subwoofer for both movies and music. That little sub packs some deep bass punch that 100% justifies the price tag. I would't overlook this sub. Don't crucify me for say this, but from my personal experience I would say that just because your speakers are ported it does NOT mean you have to have a ported sub. I had a great experience with my ported BMS/ RP-280s and my sealed uls mk 2.

@RUreceivingMYtransmission spend as much as you can afford on good quality bass. It will pay off in the long run. Trust. I think HSU is your best bet for a quality value sub.

Also to the OP, some say this doesn't matter but after owning both front and down firing subs, I would pick front firing any day in a small room. I think you feel the bass more. It's hard to explain but there something about near field bass that is awesome. There another member here @Danzilla31, has a PB-4000 right behind his seat o_O.

I have a similar shaped room and I can tell you if you place both subs next to the TV a lot of the bass will get throw over to the kitchen area, which creates a whole other problem. Even, if you get two subs, I think you'll find that the bass is heavier on the left side of the room than the right side. Beware, if the bass does not sound good out of the box your gonna have to spend some time and really fiddle with sub placement. I actually had to re-arrange my entire room based around my new subs.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I'd agree that, but I had the same Klipsch 5.1 and when I upgraded ULS MK2 I was blow away by that subwoofer for both movies and music. That little sub packs some deep bass punch that 100% justifies the price tag. I would't overlook this sub. Don't crucify me for say this, but from my personal experience I would say that just because your speakers are ported it does NOT mean you have to have a ported sub. I had a great experience with my ported BMS/ RP-280s and my sealed uls mk 2.

@RUreceivingMYtransmission spend as much as you can afford on good quality bass. It will pay off in the long run. Trust. I think HSU is your best bet for a quality value sub.

Also to the OP, some say this doesn't matter but after owning both front and down firing subs, I would pick front firing any day in a small room. I think you feel the bass more. It's hard to explain but there something about near field bass that is awesome. There another member here @Danzilla31, has a PB-4000 right behind his seat o_O.

I have a similar shaped room and I can tell you if you place both subs next to the TV a lot of the bass will get throw over to the kitchen area, which creates a whole other problem. Even, if you get two subs, I think you'll find that the bass is heavier on the left side of the room than the right side. Beware, if the bass does not sound good out of the box your gonna have to spend some time and really fiddle with sub placement. I actually had to re-arrange my entire room based around my new subs.
I did mention the HSU ULS15 already to him. I’m not sure of another sealed 15 to recommend in that price range. The Rythmik F15HP for example costs a lot more. :)

Of course the HSU VTF3 can be run sealed or one port open or two ports open. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

It’s all good here man. No worries. I think everyone has their own points of reference and experiences. That’s what makes this interesting! The thing that’s easy to overlook is the room and the power it has on bass. Some sealed subs could be great in some rooms(not mine), some not so much. Floor materials, ceiling height LP distance etc. I am inclined to agree that HSU probably offers the best value here, and it will definitely take some work to get right.
Cheers

R

Audioholic Intern

Ooooooo, that 4000 is a thing of dreams, but for now I have to fit the budget:rolleyes:. I'll def be doing a base crawl when I get them, look forward to playing w the miniDSP in the future. It's funny, the sub I have next to the TV def throws bass into the kitchen, I keep having to space my bar/wine glasses out so that they don't vibrate and make noise:p.

R

Audioholic Intern
I did mention the HSU ULS15 already to him. I’m not sure of another sealed 15 to recommend in that price range. The Rythmik F15HP for example costs a lot more. :)

Being almost 50/50 HT$music (and based on my room), would you recommend the ULS15 or the VTF3? I like the idea of closing ports and have a little added control.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Yep! Apperlay it is a great sub. I have a similar size room to the OP and are running the X-13s in EQ2 mode both ports sealed and the bass is still way overkill. But also very epic for HT side of things.

I keep having to space my bar/wine glasses out so that they don't vibrate and make noise:p.
I know the feeling all to well. If only I could use double sided tape on everything in the house.

Being almost 50/50 HT$music (and based on my room),would you recommend the ULS15 or the VTF3? I like the idea of closing ports and have a little added control.
If you can swing it, I vote for two ULS15s. I think the bass quality is just amazing. Don't let the size fool you. I was going to sell my ULS 15 when I got the X13s but like it so much for music I just could not bring my self to sell it. Read the full AH review here if you haven't already:
https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/hsu-uls-15-mk2

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis