Two SVS-SP2000 or 2-SB3000?PLEASE HALP!

• Thread starter RUreceivingMYtransmission
  • Start date
CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Hard for me to describe... felt maybe there was just better overall SQ at 80 in my room.
I hear ya. It's up to your ears my friend. I could tell the difference between 50Hz vs 80Hz. Bass heavy content sounded a little bit tighter at 50.

Last edited:
R

RUreceivingMYtransmission

Audioholic Intern
So I think I finally made my decision. For my "under 2k" budget, I'm going with two of the VTF15 mk2's. Speak now if there's anything else to consider, that we haven't already discussed:p

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I hear ya. It's up to your ears my friend. I could tell the difference between 50Hz vs 80Hz. Bass heavy content sounded a little bit tighter and 50.
;) Laughing!
I'm getting the opposite. My highs are more clear, and am getting more punch down low when I cross at 80. Not that the subs are taking over, but the whole range from upright bass and Lovano's Tenor... Gardot's voice over the band... Tori over her piano and electric bass player, electronica... everything gets a sparkle.
Maybe it comes down again to our rooms, amigo.
But I think I'm settled on my XO now!. :)

E

Ed Mullen

Manufacturer
Love this info. Based on this, if my towers are rated -/+3db at 30hz, where would you set the crossover? I saw another article here recommending half an octave up from the minimum rated frequency. The closest I could get was 40hz. Would you go with 40 even though it’s less than half an octave or would you set it at 60 since it’s a full octave higher?
That depends on how loud you are pushing the system, what the actual bass extension and dynamic output capabilities are for the loudspeakers and how good the subwoofer is. At some frequency point the subwoofer will simply have higher dynamic output and lower distortion and becomes the better choice for handling the redirected bass.

Also, most loudspeaker F3 ratings are exaggerated to some extent and you may want to use REW and a UMIK-1 mic to determine the true in-room extension of the speakers.

I would encourage you to try both 40 Hz and 60 Hz and see which you feel performs better. I'll typically recommend 60 Hz even for bass-capable towers, because of the aforementioned HPF slope being fairly shallow. Even with a 60 Hz crossover, the mains are going to handle plenty of bass into the upper 40 Hz range before the filter has an obvious effect on output.

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
That depends on how loud you are pushing the system, what the actual bass extension and dynamic output capabilities are for the loudspeakers and how good the subwoofer is. At some frequency point the subwoofer will simply have higher dynamic output and lower distortion and becomes the better choice for handling the redirected bass.

Also, most loudspeaker F3 ratings are exaggerated to some extent and you may want to use REW and a UMIK-1 mic to determine the true in-room extension of the speakers.

I would encourage you to try both 40 Hz and 60 Hz and see which you feel performs better. I'll typically recommend 60 Hz even for bass-capable towers, because of the aforementioned HPF slope being fairly shallow. Even with a 60 Hz crossover, the mains are going to handle plenty of bass into the upper 40 Hz range before the filter has an obvious effect on output.
Thanks for replying Ed! I’ll keep toying around with it and see if I notice a difference between 40hz and 60hz. If they sound the same to me I may lean toward 60hz at this point, let the subs do what they were built to do.

My next step in this adventure I think is going to be that calibrated mic and REW. Followed by a mini dsp so I can tune my subs more if the room needs it.

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Trust me when there up and running that dog be will running for cover my dog hates those subs!
Will we see a future pic... Listening to his master's subs? Like the RCA ad, but with the dog's hair blown back!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis