Trying to learn......

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Ok, I'll try my best to keep this short.....try. current av system is a marantz sr7007, paradigm premier towers and powered sub. Amazing for movies AND music, but going to start getting into the digital realm, first starting with spotify. I went to use the usb A to C cable I bought to use my samsung phone and tablet out to bypass the onboard DAC and use my marantz, and purchase the new klipsch heritage headphones and amp. Problem: even after unlocking my usb audio option, still nothing to my reciever. Glad I spent $40 on a cable and not $2k on cans and amp. So, how about bluetooth? I have 4.2 on tablet and a S9 phone, would like to watch tv on my tablet when the misses wants quiet time lol. I really wish I could have those amazing looking klipschs! Sound quality above all else! Oh, and comfort for long sessions, but dont care about NC. Also not too concerned about price as I was considering $2k for a setup. I dont trust customer reviews, and firmly believe any box store display is rigged!? Call me paranoid. I believe I'm looking for a warmer sounding headphone. For instance I dont like B&W speakers, as they sound to neutral. Any Info is greatly appreciated ! And everyone on here is very friendly, I like it here : )

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
I'd like to think I could get good for say $400?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok, I'll try my best to keep this short.....try. current av system is a marantz sr7007, paradigm premier towers and powered sub. Amazing for movies AND music, but going to start getting into the digital realm, first starting with spotify. I went to use the usb A to C cable I bought to use my samsung phone and tablet out to bypass the onboard DAC and use my marantz, and purchase the new klipsch heritage headphones and amp. Problem: even after unlocking my usb audio option, still nothing to my reciever. Glad I spent $40 on a cable and not $2k on cans and amp. So, how about bluetooth? I have 4.2 on tablet and a S9 phone, would like to watch tv on my tablet when the misses wants quiet time lol. I really wish I could have those amazing looking klipschs! Sound quality above all else! Oh, and comfort for long sessions, but dont care about NC. Also not too concerned about price as I was considering $2k for a setup. I dont trust customer reviews, and firmly believe any box store display is rigged!? Call me paranoid. I believe I'm looking for a warmer sounding headphone. For instance I dont like B&W speakers, as they sound to neutral. Any Info is greatly appreciated ! And everyone on here is very friendly, I like it here : )

What do you mean unlocking phone usb? It meets the usual mass storage device format and file structure?

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
What do you mean unlocking phone usb? It meets the usual mass storage device format and file structure?
I suck at tech, but I think I put my tablet in like a master programmer mode that multiplied my settings page by 10, andino there theres a part where you can switch on and off some sort of usb audio output, and it did jack. Think it's just not possible to go around a $hity built in DAC. (Sorry, not buying that a S9 DAC is as good or better than a external table top)

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Also would a say $500 set of BT cans possibly sound better than say a $200 dragonfly and $300 cans? Trying to find this out now, seems like If I had a set of favorite cans, that would be the ticket, but no comparison between the two.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I suck at tech, but I think I put my tablet in like a master programmer mode that multiplied my settings page by 10, andino there theres a part where you can switch on and off some sort of usb audio output, and it did jack. Think it's just not possible to go around a $hity built in DAC. (Sorry, not buying that a S9 DAC is as good or better than a external table top)

Usually such devices aren't configured as mass storage devices....try a properly formatted usb memory stick instead? Think you have to root most phones to enable them for use as usb storage devices.

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Usually such devices aren't configured as mass storage devices....try a properly formatted usb memory stick instead? Think you have to root most phones to enable them for use as usb storage devices.
Ok, just fired up my tablet, I had to do a series of steps to unlock developer options, in that under settings you can go to disable usb audio routing, on or off, the usb charge port doesn't play audio (YouTube Pandora etc) to a external DAC. Which sucks lol. Would be nice to use spotify out of my tablet hooked up to the marantz, or headphones.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok, just fired up my tablet, I had to do a series of steps to unlock developer options, in that under settings you can go to disable usb audio routing, on or off, the usb charge port doesn't play audio (YouTube Pandora etc) to a external DAC. Which sucks lol. Would be nice to use spotify out of my tablet hooked up to the marantz, or headphones.

Why not just stream it by wi-fi instead of physically connecting it?

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
Why not just stream it by wi-fi instead of physically connecting it?
If by stream it by wifi your referring to the marantz, it doesn't have built in wifi, just hardwired internet radio and pandora.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If by stream it by wifi your referring to the marantz, it doesn't have built in wifi, just hardwired internet radio and pandora.

The avr doesn't need a wireless receiver as long as you connect the avr to your network, it has DLNA capability to stream via your own network.....

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
The avr doesn't need a wireless receiver as long as you connect the avr to your network, it has DLNA capability to stream via your own network.....
Yup. Little lost, have it hooked up to ethernet cable, got my pandora loaded, and the internet radio I gotta sign up for as it's like $4 a year through marantz. Are you saying there's a way to add spotify to this selection? Or should I go pandora premium?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yup. Little lost, have it hooked up to ethernet cable, got my pandora loaded, and the internet radio I gotta sign up for as it's like $4 a year through marantz. Are you saying there's a way to add spotify to this selection? Or should I go pandora premium?

I'm not talking about the apps built into the avr, but rather what you can stream via your phone/tablet through your network....so should be easy to add any streaming service via those devices. Personally I use Spotify premium but just regular Pandora (and did that for other reasons than SQ particularly, more about the feature sets involved and what devices I have with those apps).

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
I'm not talking about the apps built into the avr, but rather what you can stream via your phone/tablet through your network....so should be easy to add any streaming service via those devices. Personally I use Spotify premium but just regular Pandora (and did that for other reasons than SQ particularly, more about the feature sets involved and what devices I have with those apps).
I see. The question I guess would be how do I hook up my device to the older marantz? Also considering getting my first DAP, so I can sit in my recliner and use the soon to be purchased klipsch headphones for hires audio sessions. Needless to say I have a ton to learn!

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I'd recommend staying away from Bluetooth, from a SQ (sound quality) perspective. DLNA streaming from your PC/tablet or a USB stick is the way to go.

Pandora/internet radio is fine in a pinch but not optimal, has been my experience.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I see. The question I guess would be how do I hook up my device to the older marantz? Also considering getting my first DAP, so I can sit in my recliner and use the soon to be purchased klipsch headphones for hires audio sessions. Needless to say I have a ton to learn!

No physical hook up. Just need to be on the same network. You can do it with a variety of apps like Spotify, it has a feature showing the available devices on your network you can choose to stream to (it really streams from Spotify rather than your device, your device acts more as an internet remote control). You can do it from your computer, too. One program I find useful is Foobar2000 to not only organize my music but use it to stream to available devices as well. Bubbleupnp is another handy app.

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
No physical hook up. Just need to be on the same network. You can do it with a variety of apps like Spotify, it has a feature showing the available devices on your network you can choose to stream to (it really streams from Spotify rather than your device, your device acts more as an internet remote control). You can do it from your computer, too. One program I find useful is Foobar2000 to not only organize my music but use it to stream to available devices as well. Bubbleupnp is another handy app.
Ok, I'm really, really not getting this. I apologize. My reciever is a sr7007, no bluetooth or wifi. I have a network cable plugged into the back for pandora and internet radio. After about 20hrs research, i am going to sign up for amazon music HD, as i believe this would be the largest selection and highest quality audio. On the go, I'll just use free pandora as i dont care about quality as it will be streamed BT to my truck stereo/ work speaker. So after I sign up, I just go to available network devices and my marantz will be there? Even though it's not on wifi? Sorry, I just dont understand. I wish I could "load" amazon music on the network radio on the marantz selection but dont see any options how to.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok, I'm really, really not getting this. I apologize. My reciever is a sr7007, no bluetooth or wifi. I have a network cable plugged into the back for pandora and internet radio. After about 20hrs research, i am going to sign up for amazon music HD, as i believe this would be the largest selection and highest quality audio. On the go, I'll just use free pandora as i dont care about quality as it will be streamed BT to my truck stereo/ work speaker. So after I sign up, I just go to available network devices and my marantz will be there? Even though it's not on wifi? Sorry, I just dont understand. I wish I could "load" amazon music on the network radio on the marantz selection but dont see any options how to.

It doesn't need wifi, you have it hardwired to your network (altho it has built in Apple Air Play apparently). It is DLNA enabled, so yes it should appear as an available device on your network (you could probably check it from your computer or device now, I'd think). Couldn't tell you about the Amazon app, haven't tried it (I disliked their music service via auto rip so much I don't even want to...Spotify works fine for me).

ps Tried to get the Marantz page for your unit again but it has issues at the moment, but there should be guidance in your manual....

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
It doesn't need wifi, you have it hardwired to your network (altho it has built in Apple Air Play apparently). It is DLNA enabled, so yes it should appear as an available device on your network (you could probably check it from your computer or device now, I'd think). Couldn't tell you about the Amazon app, haven't tried it (I disliked their music service via auto rip so much I don't even want to...Spotify works fine for me).

ps Tried to get the Marantz page for your unit again but it has issues at the moment, but there should be guidance in your manual....
I was determined to figure out what you were talking about so I stayed up way to late last night playing around. I can go into media sharing on the marantz, and for some odd reason, my TV shows up, like I can do visual media from that, but not my tablet or phone. I swear people have a NASA degree to figure some of this stuff out! I tried figuring out how to dnla my samsung galaxy sm-t380 tablet, no dice.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I was determined to figure out what you were talking about so I stayed up way to late last night playing around. I can go into media sharing on the marantz, and for some odd reason, my TV shows up, like I can do visual media from that, but not my tablet or phone. I swear people have a NASA degree to figure some of this stuff out! I tried figuring out how to dnla my samsung galaxy sm-t380 tablet, no dice.

You need to load a DLNA client app/software on your PC/phone/tablet before it's recognized by your Marantz AVR.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis