Trying to choose a TV for Christmas

C

clouso

Banned
The thing that does worry me about plasma is the burn in issue. I think it is dumb to have a tv that you have to be careful what you watch on it. How bad is this issue with the Panny G10?
I have the 54'' G10...first you dont need to worry about burn ins.. this issue doesnt exist anymore with todays panny plasmas!...just dont leave the tv on pause for hours if you play games!...btw the G10 is awesome for sports ..games and movies on blu-rays in THX mode look unbeleivable...you must know that the THX mode is dimmer then the other picture settings but is a lot more accurate regarding colour accuracy and also gives you awesome deep blacks!...just for your information i exchange a toshiba led with local dimming for the panny plasma and im so happy and glad i did!.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
The thing that does worry me about plasma is the burn in issue. I think it is dumb to have a tv that you have to be careful what you watch on it. How bad is this issue with the Panny G10?
There is no issues with the pannys. You would have to try to do it and even then I doubt it. FWIW back in the day alot of displays were susceptible to burn in and retention.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
There is no issues with the pannys. You would have to try to do it and even then I doubt it. FWIW back in the day alot of displays were susceptible to burn in and retention.
+1 QFT

I think a lot of people confuse Image Retention (IR) with actual burn in. Burn-in is permanent damage and will never go away. Image retention on the other hand is a common and temporary experience when using PDPs. Most people mistake the ghosting of IR seen at shut down or on blank black scenes as burn-in, but this quickly goes away and is unperceivable when watching real content.

I have two panny PDPs that I have abused with hours of video games and news tickers. Have I seen IR?…Sure I have, but I’ve never seen burn-in, never!

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
+1 QFT

I think a lot of people confuse Image Retention (IR) with actual burn in. Burn-in is permanent damage and will never go away. Image retention on the other hand is a common and temporary experience when using PDPs. Most people mistake the ghosting of IR seen at shut down or on blank black scenes as burn-in, but this quickly goes away and is unperceivable when watching real content.

I have two panny PDPs that I have abused with hours of video games and news tickers. Have I seen IR?…Sure I have, but I’ve never seen burn-in, never!
Yeah maybe I put it wrong...image retention is still common on newer plasmas. I'm just trying to gauge how annoyed i'll be when i see some image retention on a 1600 dollar tv. Can anyone help me out here?

C

clouso

Banned
Yeah maybe I put it wrong...image retention is still common on newer plasmas. I'm just trying to gauge how annoyed i'll be when i see some image retention on a 1600 dollar tv. Can anyone help me out here?
you will only see IR on a black screen!...and really dont worry bout that cause IR goes by it self within a few mins and most of the time you will not even notice it...after i watched a BD that last like 2 hours it is normal i see IR..(black top and bottom bars)...but as soon as i go back to watch tv programming i dont see them at all and like i said it goes by it self within a few mins.

C

clouso

Banned
I forgot to tell you one thing..all panny plasma's have what they call the ''SCROLLING BAR''...or ''PIXEL ORBITOR'' wich is a white bar you can activate that goes from left to right of the screen to eliminate any IR...honestly i never really used it cause i have never had any IR problems and i play a lot of games.... really no worries to have about that!.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
I have only seen IR on blank screens or just after shutting down the display, much more on my older panny than my newest one. With that being said, I’ve never had any IR that I can actually see from my normal seating position or while watching live content.

So for me there is zero annoyance from this “issue.” I simply don’t care if there is a moment of IR after shutting down my 360 before I switch over to cable, because as soon as there is content again the IR is gone. The better picture quality of a PDP vs a LCD far out ways any IR concerns in my book.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Not to thread jack, but I would like to take a moment to thank the anonymous person for giving me a red chiclet for my thoughts on IR.

If you feel that IR automatically leads to burn-in in current model PDPs please share so we can discuss this in the open.

Now back to regularly schedule programming…

OP go for the biggest panny PDP you can afford!

T

Torqueaholic

Audioholic Intern
I have a 52 inch Sony KDL-52XBR2 LCD. I believe this is the largest LCD flat panel screen that Sony makes. Its been very reliable, Very easy to use features, and you can defintely see even the skin blemishes on actor's faces!! I know folks on here will debate the 1080p vs. 1080i (720p) thing endlessly, but for me you can definitely notice a difference. I got mine for $3500. Might cost you a little less now. Its over your budget, but IMHO its well worth it.

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
Thanks guys. Everyone is helping make this decision easier! Now that i've put in the internet/tech spec/top 5 tv research now i need to go play with a few in the store and pull the trigger.

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
Ok. I went to Sears last night and played with the 54G10. It is a nice tv. I agree the THX mode is somewhat dim in the store but looks VERY natural whereas the LCD's in torch mode look great at first but after some studying they make everything look cartoonish. The G10 is not nearly as aesthetically pleasing as the samsungs however it does have an ok look to it. The Vivid mode almost matches the LCD's in brightness. I was surprised at how cool it ran in comparision to Samsung plasmas. The G10 ran about as cool as a Samsung LCD. Somehow i'm still not completely sold on this TV...i'm not sure what is hanging me up.

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
I need someone to push me to pull the trigger on the 54G10. I have done so much research that i do think research wise it is the best tv at that size for the a lower price than other tv's. Somehow i'm still not sold tho. Everyone says the THX mode is amazing but to me it look very dull and the whites are shadowed grayish or something. The Vivid mode looks better to me. I dunno...maybe the showroom floor is what is confusing me? HELP!

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
The show room floor is the worst place in the world to evaluate a TV’s picture. I guarantee that the picture you see on the showroom floor will not be the same picture that you see at home in your living room, unless of course your living room is full of overhead florescent lighting.

LCDs are manufactured with a black filter on their screens that helps them to stand up to the harsh lighting of the showroom floor. PDPs on the other hand lack this feature and their blacks often look gray or washed-out under these lighting conditions. However, once you have PDP in a more controlled lighting environment you will find that it is they who have the superior blacks and shadow detail. Newer high-end LCD may have what appears to be a deep black, but these blacks are often lacking when it comes to shadow details.

Furthermore, I believe that you can adjust the contrast and brightness of the of the THX setting, to better fit your taste, but you’ll be sacrificing some color accuracy, which might not even be noticeable to your eye, so that may be a moot point for you.

Do you watch very many sports?...if so, you better buy the G10!

C

clouso

Banned
I need someone to push me to pull the trigger on the 54G10. I have done so much research that i do think research wise it is the best tv at that size for the a lower price than other tv's. Somehow i'm still not sold tho. Everyone says the THX mode is amazing but to me it look very dull and the whites are shadowed grayish or something. The Vivid mode looks better to me. I dunno...maybe the showroom floor is what is confusing me? HELP!
Ok...first of all they all set the color temp to ''warm 2''...this will give you more yellohish skin tones and more yellowhish whites...i set my THX mode to ''normal'' and it looks awesome...the THX mode is there to make movies look like movies not the cartoonish kinda look like a lot of led or lcd,s....and i use ''vivid'' mode for sports and it looks awesome too...we all have our tastes you know...but overall you wont get any better display then the g10 at this price range and even at any price range..the g10 is only bested by the v10 series right now.

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
Is a 54 inch tv too big for my 11 to 13 foot viewing distance? I don't want to see a pixelated picture.

C

clouso

Banned
Is a 54 inch tv too big for my 11 to 13 foot viewing distance? I don't want to see a pixelated picture.
I am sitting at 8 feet from my 54'' and i dont see any pixel!...at 11 feet you could even go with a 60''.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Did you not read my previous reply, or did you think I was lying to you?

Before I start to give you my numerous calculations, I want to address your 10-13 ft distance. Even at the closest within the range, you cannot yet appreciate the full benefit of 1080p with 20/20 vision on a 65" TV from this distance. At 10ft you need about an 80" screen, from 13ft you need about a 100" screen. Just FYI.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
You should really listen to Jostenmeat when it comes to screen sizes in relationship to seating distance. I promise you he knows what he is talking about.

I sit 8ft from my 54 and I wish I had a 65in…take it for what it is worth:rolleyes:

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
Cool. So for my distance bigger is better. I just notice if you get too close to some tv's it gets pixelated.

Whats the best and FASTEST way to break a plasma in. I hear there is some site you can download some images and put on an SD card and play a slide show? Can you leave the TV running 24 hours a day when doing that? It kind of sucks to have to break it in for 200 hours. At my normal viewing that would take a month! At 24 hours a day it would take about 8 days. Not as bad.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Files for slide show attached.

They only need to be ran for a 120hrs and yes you can run the slides 24/7, but you need to periodically check on the TV to ensure that it has not hung up on a file.(My TV went 5 days with no hang-ups)

More about the files and process can be found here and here.

Note: I take no responsibility for these files or the manner in which you use them or the results that come from their use.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis