Trying to choose a TV for Christmas

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
I need help choosing a TV for Christmas. I am a Software Developer so I am one to analyze all the technical specs and reviews before buying the tv. I do find all the info somewhat overwhelming and conflicting.

I plan on using the TV for 75% TV(mostly network TV shows and movies and 25% Blu-ray). It would be nice to have the option for gaming in the future and know the TV would work well for that also. However, that requirement is very low on the list.

- Viewing distance will be between 10 to 13 feet depending on seat in the house. No major angles to worry about.
- I'd like to go 52 inch to 55 inch.
- Sunlight is mostly controllable. Room has plenty of windows but all have blinds that can be closed. TV will mostly be watched after work 5:30 til bedtime and on the weekend movies would be watched in the evening.
- Budget: I'd like to stay $1800 or less.
- What i would find important in a TV: picture quality, Awesome looking bluray's, brightly lit, nice looking to fit in to home decor.

I'm not set on plasma or LCD or LED yet. I'm not sure what is best for me. The plasma ghosting issue would really peev me off(i don't want to run some function for 30 minutes here and there). The LCD motion blur would really peev me off. The fact that a lot of programming is not in HD yet would really peev me off.

Given the above requirements i'm hoping to obtain a handful of make and models worth going look at. HELP! Thanks in advance!

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
Check out the deals on slickdeals.net.

A Panasonic TC-P54S1 54" 1080P plasma for $999 with a sears credit card

A Mitsubshi 65" WD-6569 DLP $999 or $799 with BING CBI

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
Can anyone else help? Man this is hard to shop a TV these days!

C

clouso

Banned
I need help choosing a TV for Christmas. I am a Software Developer so I am one to analyze all the technical specs and reviews before buying the tv. I do find all the info somewhat overwhelming and conflicting.

I plan on using the TV for 75% TV(mostly network TV shows and movies and 25% Blu-ray). It would be nice to have the option for gaming in the future and know the TV would work well for that also. However, that requirement is very low on the list.

- Viewing distance will be between 10 to 13 feet depending on seat in the house. No major angles to worry about.
- I'd like to go 52 inch to 55 inch.
- Sunlight is mostly controllable. Room has plenty of windows but all have blinds that can be closed. TV will mostly be watched after work 5:30 til bedtime and on the weekend movies would be watched in the evening.
- Budget: I'd like to stay $1800 or less.
- What i would find important in a TV: picture quality, Awesome looking bluray's, brightly lit, nice looking to fit in to home decor.

I'm not set on plasma or LCD or LED yet. I'm not sure what is best for me. The plasma ghosting issue would really peev me off(i don't want to run some function for 30 minutes here and there). The LCD motion blur would really peev me off. The fact that a lot of programming is not in HD yet would really peev me off.

Given the above requirements i'm hoping to obtain a handful of make and models worth going look at. HELP! Thanks in advance!
If you can control your lighting like you mentioned plasma would be the way to go..the panny plasma's are the best hdtv that came out in 2009...for 1800$ i would check for the tc-p50g10...or the s1 series since you will be sitting at 10 to 13 feet you can go with the bigger screen with the tc-p54s1..those 2 are around your price range and they both are awesomw sets!...i got the 54'' g10 and blu-rays look awesome in thx mode....you should know however that the s1 series doestn have the thx mode .

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
Seems like most folks here are fans of the Panny Plasmas. When did Panasonic become a nicer brand. Seems like there stuff was always a low end walmart brand. It's really hard for me to get over that for some reason but i'm trying.

I also really like the brightness of an LED tv. For some reason a brighter picture looks better to me.

C

clouso

Banned
Seems like most folks here are fans of the Panny Plasmas. When did Panasonic become a nicer brand. Seems like there stuff was always a low end walmart brand. It's really hard for me to get over that for some reason but i'm trying.

I also really like the brightness of an LED tv. For some reason a brighter picture looks better to me.
If your willing to give up on superior black levels colour accuracy and overall better picture quality then go with a led or lcd!..its your choice.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai

Sony,Toshiba,Samsung just to name a few that sell there wares at walmart,I suggested the Panny due to your price point and to give the best TV for your buck.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
When did Panasonic become a nicer brand.
Quality changes. Samsung used to be junk until they reinvented themselves. Now, they are arguably the number one brand for LCD TVs.

Panasonic may not be great for everything, but their plasma TVs are top-notch (second only, by most accounts, to the now-discontinued Pioneer line). Their blu-ray players are also very good.

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
The Panny TC-P54V10 looks really nice. Wish I could talk myself into 2400 bucks but i don't think i can. Anyone have the TC-P54V10 or can comment on it?

The 54" G10 would probably be nice but best buy only sells the 50" for some reason...i'd like to buy local.

The Samsung PN50b860 look nice as well. Very thin for a plasma. Anyone comment on this one?

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
Ok guys thanks for sticking with me thus far. I have zeroed in on a few models. Of these give me some guidance.

Panny TC-P50V10 or TC-P54V10. I can get the 54 at best buy for $2400. Probably not willing to spend that much. The 50 is $2,099.98. Gonna really have to do some soul searching to spend that much as well. But open to how much more i may get for my money

Panny TC-P50G10 or TC-P54G10. The 50 can be had a best buy for 1,299.99. And the 54 best buy doesn't carry(annoying) but looks like you can get it for $1600 internet order.

Samsung PN50B860 for $1,579.98 at best buy.

Will a 54" really be that much bigger than a 50"? If so the TC-P54G10 seems to be the ticket but i don't know a good reputable internet order site.

I feel like i'm getting closer.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Panny TC-P50V10 or TC-P54V10. I can get the 54 at best buy for $2400. Probably not willing to spend that much. The 50 is $2,099.98. Gonna really have to do some soul searching to spend that much as well. But open to how much more i may get for my money.
If you are going to avoid pro calibration, or are afraid or just too lazy to delve into the SM, then I say get the display with the most consumer level pic controls, and that would be the V10. As a side bonus, it avoids 3:2 pulldown. HOWEVER, if you were even somewhat familiar with my posts, then you know that I always vote bigger.

That said, if thinking G series, and you're willing to give up THX mode, PC input, maybe another HDMI input (not sure there), maybe something else, you can get the same "display" with the S1.

Panny TC-P50G10 or TC-P54G10. The 50 can be had a best buy for 1,299.99. And the 54 best buy doesn't carry(annoying) but looks like you can get it for $1600 internet order.
OK then, I'm just going to base my answers in comparison to the $1,300 price tag. See below:

Will a 54" really be that much bigger than a 50"? If so the TC-P54G10 seems to be the ticket but i don't know a good reputable internet order site.
Before I start to give you my numerous calculations, I want to address your 10-13 ft distance. Even at the closest within the range, you cannot yet appreciate the full benefit of 1080p with 20/20 vision on a 65" TV from this distance. At 10ft you need about an 80" screen, from 13ft you need about a 100" screen. Just FYI.

Here is 50 vs 54 vs 58 vs 65 side by side.

Each line below is in relation to 50" & $1,300

54" that Rat linked is 17% larger for 16% more money.

58" S1 from same store is 35% larger for 32% more money.

65" S1 is 69% larger for 107% more money.

As you can see, the 58" is the best value increase so to speak, where the 65" is the worst. Yeah, they're S1, and otherwise the 54" G10 still gets you even a bit more display than the cost increase.

Yes, the 50" and 54" are G series, and not the others, but you probably might not want to spend that much anyways, then again, I'm almost certain there is no 65" G. You get the idea that I'm getting across; you can calculate value relative to screen size.

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
If you are going to avoid pro calibration, or are afraid or just too lazy to delve into the SM, then I say get the display with the most consumer level pic controls, and that would be the V10. As a side bonus, it avoids 3:2 pulldown. HOWEVER, if you were even somewhat familiar with my posts, then you know that I always vote bigger.

That said, if thinking G series, and you're willing to give up THX mode, PC input, maybe another HDMI input (not sure there), maybe something else, you can get the same "display" with the S1.

OK then, I'm just going to base my answers in comparison to the $1,300 price tag. See below:

Before I start to give you my numerous calculations, I want to address your 10-13 ft distance. Even at the closest within the range, you cannot yet appreciate the full benefit of 1080p with 20/20 vision on a 65" TV from this distance. At 10ft you need about an 80" screen, from 13ft you need about a 100" screen. Just FYI.

Here is 50 vs 54 vs 58 vs 65 side by side.

Each line below is in relation to 50" & $1,300

54" that Rat linked is 17% larger for 16% more money.

58" S1 from same store is 35% larger for 32% more money.

65" S1 is 69% larger for 107% more money.

As you can see, the 58" is the best value increase so to speak, where the 65" is the worst. Yeah, they're S1, and otherwise the 54" G10 still gets you even a bit more display than the cost increase.

Yes, the 50" and 54" are G series, and not the others, but you probably might not want to spend that much anyways, then again, I'm almost certain there is no 65" G. You get the idea that I'm getting across; you can calculate value relative to screen size.
Thanks. The 54" G feels "right". Regarding calibration, i'd probably like to try and do it myself unless it is a real pain. I don't mind reading and learning and if i have to buy a calibration cd that saves me significant money over a pro cal.

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
What are some reputable websites to buy panny G10 54 inch from or tv's in general...only thing that makes me nervous about buying the 54 inch is that it will have to be internet order.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

brightness is a product of the brightness setting usually. Ignore the way a tv looks in store.

my pick on your budget
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/458036221/mitsubishi-wd65737?v_c=Nextag&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=22-34704880-2

I love DLP. It's the best for sports IMO.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Go with the TC-P54G10

Ok guys thanks for sticking with me thus far. I have zeroed in on a few models. Of these give me some guidance.

Panny TC-P50V10 or TC-P54V10. I can get the 54 at best buy for $2400. Probably not willing to spend that much. The 50 is $2,099.98. Gonna really have to do some soul searching to spend that much as well. But open to how much more i may get for my money

Samsung PN50B860 for $1,579.98 at best buy.

I feel like i'm getting closer.

Go with the TC-P54G10 . If you don't you will kick yourself later for not spending the extra bucks. It is a better choice log-term for you viewing distance. I agree with Adam the Panaosonic is probably the best next to the discontinued Pioneer which I have :rolleyes:. I also think you will be completely pleased with the Plasma brigthness; mine works well even some ambient light during the day.

Good Luck!

Forest Man

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
The thing that does worry me about plasma is the burn in issue. I think it is dumb to have a tv that you have to be careful what you watch on it. How bad is this issue with the Panny G10?

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Haven't heard as of late of any burn in issues as Plasma's have got better.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis