Trying to choose a TV for Christmas

S

Surroundpro

Enthusiast
Samsung

Take a look at the Samsung LED ... they offer 3,000,000 :1 plus contrast on the 7000 series and way more on the upper models. 1080p 120-240 hz with very cool wireless internet widgets for stocks, weather, etc.

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
Thanks. I'll read up on the break in with the slide show.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Take a look at the Samsung LED ... they offer 3,000,000 :1 plus contrast on the 7000 series and way more on the upper models. 1080p 120-240 hz with very cool wireless internet widgets for stocks, weather, etc.
Not to be a jerk but contrast ratios cannot be compared between different manufactures nor can they be compared between LCDs and PDPs thanks to over zealous marketing departments. It’s pretty widely known that LCD specs for contrast are grossly over stated. Here is an AH article on the matter.

Here is what CNET had to say about a 7000 series Samsung LCD: Expensive; less-uniform screen than other LCDs; poor off-angle viewing; backlight fluctuates with program brightness; dark areas tinged bluer; shiny screen can cause reflections in bright rooms; red frame isn't for everyone

The positives boiled down to: its thin, energy efficient, and has some cool network features…

And the 7000 series is edge-lit…no thank you!

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
Got the 54G10 today at Sears. Got a great deal on it and if i see it lower anywhere in the next 30 days I can go in and get the difference. Now I need to get my hd cable box and bluray player and a piece of furniture to put it on! I probably will plug it in tonight and start the break-in. Just put those images on an SD card and play a slide show? What picture setting should I put it on? Leave it on 24/7? Thanks to everyone...i feel like I have got the best bang for my buck. Can't wait to try it out!

Last edited:
nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Got the 54G10 today at Sears. Got a great deal on it and if i see it lower anywhere in the next 30 days I can go in and get the difference. Now I need to get my hd cable box and bluray player and a piece of furniture to put it on! I probably will plug it in tonight and start the break-in. Just put those images on an SD card and play a slide show? What picture setting should I put it on? Leave it on 24/7? Thanks to everyone...i feel like I have got the best bang for my buck. Can't wait to try it out!
Congrats, you just bought an excellent display!

Like I said, I ran the slides nonstop for 5 days and I know many others have done this as well. However, some people are scared of hurting their new display and do not run the slides unattended for fear that something will go wrong and a static image will be displayed for hours. If you have this fear, read this article posted by jliedeka.

There are two schools of thought concerning the settings that should be used when performing break-in.

1. Low and slow: Old School

Picture Settings:
Cinema mode
Picture: 50 or less
Brightness: 50 or less
Color: no matter
Tint: no matter
Sharpness: no matter
Color Temp: no matter
Color MGT: OFF
X.V. Color: OFF
C.A.T.S.: OFF

Advanced Picture:
Video NR: OFF
3D Y/C: OFF
Color Matrix: HD
MPEG NR: OFF
Black Level: Light
HD Size: 1 (slightly overscanned)
Pixel Orbiter set to Auto or Force 1

2. Torch: New School (This is the method I utilized, and is the suggested settings if you plan using others SM adjustments.)

Picture Settings:
Picture Mode: Vivid
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 55
Color: 65
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 50
Color Temp: Cool
C.A.T.S: Off
Video NR: Off

Advance Options

Make sure to set the picture viewer to slide show with no time limit. Be sure to turn off No Signal Shut Off and No Action Shut Off under the advanced Set-Up menu if you are going to run the slide show.

Lastly, I just double checked the files that I linked and did not see a dot in the image nor should there be one…I would not use them if it appears on your PDP as well.

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
Congrats, you just bought an excellent display!

Like I said, I ran the slides nonstop for 5 days and I know many others have done this as well. However, some people are scared of hurting their new display and do not run the slides unattended for fear that something will go wrong and a static image will be displayed for hours. If you have this fear, read this article posted by jliedeka.

There are two schools of thought concerning the settings that should be used when performing break-in.

1. Low and slow: Old School

Picture Settings:
Cinema mode
Picture: 50 or less
Brightness: 50 or less
Color: no matter
Tint: no matter
Sharpness: no matter
Color Temp: no matter
Color MGT: OFF
X.V. Color: OFF
C.A.T.S.: OFF

Advanced Picture:

2. Torch: New School (This is the method I utilized, and is the suggested settings if you plan using others SM adjustments.)

Picture Settings:
Picture Mode: Vivid
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 55
Color: 65
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 50
Color Temp: Cool
C.A.T.S: Off
Video NR: Off

Advance Options

Make sure to set the picture viewer to slide show with no time limit. Be sure to turn off No Signal Shut Off and No Action Shut Off under the advanced Set-Up menu if you are going to run the slide show.

Lastly, I just double checked the files that I linked and did not see a dot in the image nor should there be one…I would not use them if it appears on your PDP as well.
The dot was on my monitor LOL. Thanks for the help!

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
A couple more questions. What is the best and cheapest hdmi cables to get? What kind of surge protector should I get. I just have a cheapo power bar I use now. I'll need a 40ft digital coax too.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
How long do you want the HDMI cable(s) to be? That might change the answer. Anything in the ballpark of six feet, I'd go with one of the selections from Monoprice.com. I prefer the thinner ones because they are more flexible.

J

Jon5783

Audioholic Intern
Monoprice is the way to go!!!!

I'm currently using a 12' HDMI cable from monoprice and am completely satisfied. Also the coaxial cables are much cheaper and better made than ones I've seen around town.

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
I'd need 6 foot hdmi cables. I have some speakers that are not magnetically shielded(bose 301...i know crap) that at this point would need to go very close to the tv...basically half the speaker almost touching the back of the tv. I probably already know the answer but will this be an issue? I'd HATE to mess up the tv by doing this. Any ideas?

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
The 54g10 is AMAZING! Thanks to everyone for the help. Can't wait til it's broke-in!

C

clouso

Banned
The 54g10 is AMAZING! Thanks to everyone for the help. Can't wait til it's broke-in!
Hi bacchus..i know you didnt reply to any of my posts but you did the right thing by choosing the G10 series...honestly im still impressed by it and its the first pasma i got...i will never have other then panasonic unless oled's will be at a price range that i can afford!...and im pretty sure panasonic will get into the oled game pretty soon!..but for now in 2009 you have one of the top 5 displays in the world...dont be shy to try and adjust the different modes...personally i like sports on ''vivid'' mode...and for tv i watch it on the costom mode wich i adjusted my self...and for movies there is nothing better right now then the THX mode!...yes it is dimmer but you gain in color accuracy and overall PQ...watch''speed racer'' on blu-ray and on THX and you will see what this display is cabable off.

S

surgeon4men

Audiophyte
If you can control your lighting like you mentioned plasma would be the way to go..the panny plasma's are the best hdtv that came out in 2009...for 1800$ i would check for the tc-p50g10...or the s1 series since you will be sitting at 10 to 13 feet you can go with the bigger screen with the tc-p54s1..

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
Yeah the 54G10 is sick. I couldn't be happier. I was nervous buying plasma and i was nervous buying Panasonic. I always thought i'd buy a Samsung LCD. That was before I did my research. I have never walked into anyone's house and found a better picture than i see on my panny plasma. And yes if i did i am one that could admit it LOL.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for sharing bacchus99.

Do you feel that the picture that you are seeing at home is superior to the one you saw on the showroom floor?

Do you still feel that the THX mode is still too dim now that you have the TV in a more controlled lighting environment?

B

bacchus99

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for sharing bacchus99.

Do you feel that the picture that you are seeing at home is superior to the one you saw on the showroom floor?

Do you still feel that the THX mode is still too dim now that you have the TV in a more controlled lighting environment?
The picture is FAR more superior than what I i could discern on the showroom floor. I agree the showroom floor is no place to evaluate the tv's abilities. The deep inky blacks this tv can achieve can only be seen in the home. The show room does it no justice.

THX mode is alittle dim with some ambient light. I will use THX mode for blu-ray with lights off at night. It will be awesome for that! I find standard mode to look good for most tv watching. Of course i'm still in break in mode and have the levels turned down some. I'll probably calibrate after break in although i'm very happy with the factory presets.

I highly recommend the G series Panny's. I think for this year they are the best bang for the buck inch for inch tv you can get.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis