Towers with dual 10" Woofers

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Which ones have dual 10” woofers and dual 12” woofers and what are their prices?
You have to watch out before you choose one. I just verified the SB Acoustics X-Max design and it's impedance goes down to 2.1 ohms around 160 Hz. Someone who plans to get it will need amplifiers which can handle such paralleled voice coils:

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Large field, tractor with a fork attachment…
Just because you're on the West Coast doesn't give you a pass on that tractor with a fork attachment. It has to be an audiophile grade forklift. Nothing less :rolleyes:.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Sub Tower is extra but who needs more than two 18" per tower? lol
Well, you could use the subs in locations other than the L/R speakers to potentially make better use of them....altho I'd rather have 4 sub modules than 2, but could "live" with 2x18"s per :)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Those 18" drivers don't look very impressive compared to subwoofer drivers, even in ported subs. They look like the Eminence drivers Legacy Audio used to use in the early Focus models, but bigger. (The Focus used 3x12" woofers.) I think I'd rather have less impressive L/R speakers and as many subs as it takes to fill the room. I suspect that for the price of those bass modules Funk Audio 21" subs could probably out-perform the PBNs, and have equal or better finishes.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Those 18" drivers don't look very impressive compared to subwoofer drivers, even in ported subs. They look like the Eminence drivers Legacy Audio used to use in the early Focus models, but bigger. (The Focus used 3x12" woofers.) I think I'd rather have less impressive L/R speakers and as many subs as it takes to fill the room. I suspect that for the price of those bass modules Funk Audio 21" subs could probably out-perform the PBNs, and have equal or better finishes.
Yeah, they don't have a large peak to peak cone movement suspension system. They can't compare with the real SVS, Hsu, Rhythmic and other popular subs including the DIY drivers that Dayton produce.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

Go Pro.
The problem with most pro audio speakers is that they are not good at producing the infrasonic frequencies. You will find exceptions with the Danley Labs subs:

EDIT: I just don't believe the Adam publicity that their speaker has a flat response down to 22 Hz with only two 10 inch woofers, unless it's got some EQ processing.

Last edited:
9397SVTs

9397SVTs

Audioholic
The first high quality/expensive speakers I ever heard was in a high end dealers home. I can't recall the model; they were referred to as Montana speakers, but from what I remember, they looked like the WAS. This was back in 1994-1995.

They were quite impressive. Given their intimidating size, I was amazed at how great they sounded at low levels. These speakers introduced me to the realm of imaging and soundstage. I knew nothing about home audio and was completely blown away by what I experienced. I also had no idea that people would spend this kind of money on home audio, as these speakers were $65K for the pair. That was a ton of money back then.

I would like to go on a road trip and hear the PBN Audio Sammy.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis