Tower speakers w/ integrated subs - Def Tech BP9060 vs GoldenEar Tritons?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I wouldn't recommend that you purchase an inexpensive $300 Yamaha to drive speakers with a nominal impedance of 4 ohms. It would most likely get into protection mode and shut off unless you intended to use it at low volume levels.
But you could get an inexpensive Denon or Marantz one and you wouldn't as easily risk that situation.
That's my AVR that usually serves living room duty. Once we get ourselves situated it'll be driving 8-ohm Klipsch towers for the rest of its useful life. I'm home now; it's a Yamaha RX-V375. It'll be playing softly for the last few days before I break this all down for moving. :)

I wish I had time to write an essay... while scouring the internets today it dawned on me how audiophillia is not that different from dating! I hope to keep that idea fresh in my head. I think it would be an entertaining read if I get it into words.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I wish I had time to write an essay... while scouring the internets today it dawned on me how audiophillia is not that different from dating! I hope to keep that idea fresh in my head. I think it would be an entertaining read if I get it into words.
Sounds like a fun read, so I thought I'd remind you while you are in the middle of your move!!!:p

How long did you have the 2200 before it blew?
Was your system operating at extremes nearing the max limits you have ever driven it, or did failure occur under comparatively benign conditions
Any signs of weakness for the other one(s)?
Do you still have the defective one?
Did someone take you up on you idea to give it away (buyer pay shipping)? Ask them to report back after they investigate/repair it!
Where are you?
I have a couple of these and would like to know why it failed, you said it was hardly hot when it failed, so that begs the question of whether it was a load issue vs some type of fluke!
Maybe after things settle you can pop the top and look for any signs of damage/charring.

Edit: It would also be a good idea for you to know what happened. The 2200 is generally considered a well-rounded solid amp - not the most rigorous, but definitely competent. If there is some aspect of the 2200 that is ill-suited to your speakers, you'd want to make sure your replacement doesn't suffer a similar malady. Otherwise, you are either gambling or need to pay over-the-top money for something like a Benchmark, Bryston or Krell!
Pro audio amp may be the way to go - maybe ask Verdinut about a good QSC amp!

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
One time, I decided to really push my Focal Solo6Be's. It was kind of cool (in retrospect) because one fell silent, and within 3 seconds, the second one left me in dead silence! I was shitting myself, but after cycling the power off and back on they acted like nothing ever happened!
I was impressed that both failed so close together. Don't remember what the music was, but the speakers are rated at 113dB max peak SPL (I guess that is a normal pro-audio spec?).

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Edit: It would also be a good idea for you to know what happened. If there is some aspect of the 2200 that is ill-suited to your speakers, you'd want to make sure your replacement doesn't suffer a similar malady. Otherwise, you are either gambling or need to pay over-the-top money for something like a Benchmark, Bryston or Krell!
Pro audio amp may be the way to go - maybe ask Verdinut about a good QSC amp!
QSC amps are built like tanks. One of my friends, a part time musician who plays in gigs, has used several brands of pro audio amps over the years and the only brand that he couldn't kill is the QSC.
The DCA series amps which I am using are fully protected against short circuit, thermal, ultrasonic and RF interference. They are stable into reactive or mismatched loads as well. They will drive 2 ohms loads without a hitch. As a matter of fact, they are used in Cineplex theaters across North America and are designed to drive four 8 ohm speakers in parallel in cinemas or other large venues. Either the of DCA 1222 or the DCA 1622 is the unit to use depending on front speakers to drive in a HT system. I have been using three DCA 1222 for bi-amping the front LCR channels and a DCA 1824 to drive the surround speakers:

https://www.qsc.com/cinema/products/power-amplifiers/dca-series/

It's rather easy to use those DCA series amps for actively bi-amping with the XC-3 crossover accessory. This unit just plugs at the back of the amp and can be configured for crossover frequencies from 80 Hz to 1.5 kHz and various delays with the use of SIP resistors. I am using three of them for the front channels:

https://www.qsc.com/resource-files/productresources/amp/dca/q_amp_dca_usermanual_accessories.pdf

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis