Tower speakers w/ integrated subs - Def Tech BP9060 vs GoldenEar Tritons?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If said amp is required for the speaker to even operate, then all aboard the SOL Express!
That was exactly my thinking. I don’t mind ACTIVE speakers and subs. I just prefer the amps OUTSIDE the speakers/subs so that I can replace them easier if necessary.

I tend to think about backup plans and redundancy. :D

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I must have been writing my obituary... one of my amps didn't survive Also sprach Zarathustra tonight. Blows fuses as soon as I turn it on.

Erich Kunzel:1, Outlaw 2200: 0 :oops:

Using my AVR until I decide what route to take.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I must have been writing my obituary... one of my amps didn't survive Also sprach Zarathustra tonight. Blows fuses as soon as I turn it on.

Damn sorry to hear that bro

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

:eek:
How old is the amp? Can’t imagine it died because of this he music. But d@mn!!!!!!!

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Just go and listen to the speakers you want to buy. I bet DefTech and GoldenEar towers are available at Best Buy and other stores.

Play some movies with loud bass (Dark Phoenix, Pacific Rim, etc.). Turn up the bass volume in those speakers. See what you think.

These speakers might not have "true" subwoofer bass by many of our standards.

But at the end of the day, the salient factor is what you think. :D

I used to own big DefTech towers. I thought the bass was pretty good. Again, not "true big subwoofer bass", but pretty good.

The main reason I don't like them is because I don't like putting Amps inside speakers. I prefer my amps to be outside the speakers. I think there is a reason why many speakers have a 5-10 YR warranty, but the amps inside them only have a 1-3 YR warranty.
I did some research and GE is only 3 years on the amps (electronics).

Was surprised to find that RBH is only offers 1 year (on their own powered subwoofers). I would definitely go with external amplification.

As far as bass is concerned, I do feel that the bass is very good with the T1s by themselves, granted they really need a bigger room and correct positioning, but I also use external subwoofers in my setup.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Ouch. I know the feeling.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

I was up till almost midnight researching what I might replace them with. Now I'm at work on 4 hours' sleep. at least it's a slow day so far.

There was no smoke or smell; heck the amp wasn't even warm at all. I hadn't been playing very loud until I cranked it up for that last track, and the crescendo at the very end is when it gave up the ghost. I was shittin bricks for fear of speaker damage! I disconnected all cables, and put the good fuse from the working amp into it, and it blew as soon as I flipped the power switch. Most likely a short somewhere.

I doubt I'll pursue repair of it... I will sell the working one to go towards whatever I get next. After we get moved and settled in, if anyone wants it to take a stab at repair I'll sell it to ya for cost of shipping.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

The Outlaw amp blew a fuse while playing Zarathustra?

But the AVR did just fine at the same volume?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Now I'm at work on 4 hours' sleep. at least it's a slow day so far.
Sorry to hear that. Bad enough having to work any weekend. But even worse when something goes wrong with your system.

I'm working this weekend also. I really hate working weekends. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You could say that. I forgot to remove the jumpers when bi wiring with my Monolith. Thank god for warranties...
Wait, the Monolith has fuses?

It must be a different design than my ATI amps (AT3000 and AT2000) which have a fuse-less circuit.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Wait, the Monolith has fuses?

It must be a different design than my ATI amps (AT3000 and AT2000) which have a fuse-less circuit.
No blown fuse. More like fried and completely non operational. Had to have it replaced.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No blown fuse. More like fried and completely non operational. Had to have it replaced.
Oh, so the Protection Circuit fried?

I guess it's not like a circuit breaker where you just have to reset the breakers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh, so the Protection Circuit fried?

I guess it's not like a circuit breaker where you just have to reset the breakers.
I guess? Ended up sending it back. A couple weeks later they sent me a replacement.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

The Outlaw amp blew a fuse while playing Zarathustra?

But the AVR did just fine at the same volume?
The whole story is... after blowing the 2nd fuse, I realized I had no way to test the speaker (no spare fuses to put in the working amp). In hindsight I did things backwards... :p The receiver had been put in storage weeks ago, and we just emptied storage this tuesday to put everything in the house we're moving into. So I had to drive there and get the Yamaha then get back home and hook it up. I was relieved that the speakers were ok. At that point it was late and I just played some low-volume background music while I read and shopped amps for the next couple hours.

The receiver wouldn't be able to handle peaks at that volume anyway, with a 4-ohm nominal load. don't know the model off the top of my head but it wasn't a very expensive AVR (sub $300 if memory serves) and the terminals were labeled "6 Ohms minimum." I don't want to push my luck with my stopgap, especially since I don't even know the minimum impedance drop for the speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The whole story is... after blowing the 2nd fuse, I realized I had no way to test the speaker (no spare fuses to put in the working amp). In hindsight I did things backwards... :p The receiver had been put in storage weeks ago, and we just emptied storage this tuesday to put everything in the house we're moving into. So I had to drive there and get the Yamaha then get back home and hook it up. I was relieved that the speakers were ok. At that point it was late and I just played some low-volume background music while I read and shopped amps for the next couple hours.

The receiver wouldn't be able to handle peaks at that volume anyway, with a 4-ohm nominal load. don't know the model off the top of my head but it wasn't a very expensive AVR (sub $300 if memory serves) and the terminals were labeled "6 Ohms minimum." I don't want to push my luck with my stopgap, especially since I don't even know the minimum impedance drop for the speakers.
I don't know. Those $300 Yamaha AVRs remind me of those little Toyota trucks that everyone laughs at until the Toyota pulls their trucks out from the mud. :D

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

I wouldn't recommend that you purchase an inexpensive $300 Yamaha to drive speakers with a nominal impedance of 4 ohms. It would most likely get into protection mode and shut off unless you intended to use it at low volume levels.
But you could get an inexpensive Denon or Marantz one and you wouldn't as easily risk that situation.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis