Top 5(10) DVDs to challenge new system

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
I was watching U-571 tonight and the scene where the resurface in front of the destroyer was awesome. The Germans were shooting the deck cannons at the sub and in the middle of all the noise, I see my center channel fall off the top of my tv. All I could say was, "DAMN!!! That was cool." Paused the movie, rehooked everything, duck-taped the speaker to the top of the tv, rewound the movie about a minute, and kept on going.

Paul

D

dloweman

Audioholic
Some of my favorites are:
U571 - the depth charges, and squeeks in the submarine make it so
real and intense
Matrix - the original has some great parts, the lobby scene and the helicopter
scenes are great
Lion King - yah its a kids movie, but the picture quality is great, the songs are
amazing and there is a part in the elephant graveyard that shakes
the house
Rounders - Okay, so not the best for Home Theatre, but Matt Damon is
awesome, a must watch for any texas hold 'em poker fan
Finding Nemo - Again, great video, and cool when the fish swim to each
speaker, and when darla taps on the fish bowl it made my
door shake.
Just a few that haven't really been mentioned yet, other than U571!

mcwilson

mcwilson

Audioholic
My choices

In no particular order:

For Audio:

Jurrasic Park - The T-Rex scene is always great to watch.
Matrix Reloaded - Swarm of Smiths scene. This on clipped my rx-v2400 so much, I had to upgrade to separates!
The Dream is Alive (IMAX) - Shuttle re-entry with sonic boom and first Shuttle Launch
U-571 - First scene with all the depth charges
Saving Private Ryan - First scene - storming the beach

For Video:
Coral Reef Adventure (IMAX)
Cold Mountain
The Magic of Flight (IMAX)
Gladiator - (could be in either section - audio or video)

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I just saw Master and Commander last night for the first time and I have to say the canons going off and the ensuing explosions is the best thing I have heard to date. Those cannons are felt , not just heard. Breathtaking and scary... Saving Private Ryan was at the top of my list until last night. I also think the scene in Pearl Harbour where the Japs start dropping bombs is top notch.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
I highly recommend Ghost in the Shell 2. Great animation and a superb DVD for testing your surround sound system.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
This gets asked so many times that people should just post their favorite system demo's in their 'signature'.

Slightly different question: I have several DVDs that I like to use select parts of to use as a Demo (examples: LOTR:FOTR "escape from Moria", Kill Bill "showdown at the house of blue leaves", Matrix Revolutions "Final Neo/Smith fight", so on and so on).

Is there any computer software that would allow me to copy select chapters from multiple DVDs to make one DVD-R "mix tape", and allow me to keep the 5.1 audio? I own all of the DVDS in question and certainly do not intend to use this to pirate anything, but all the DVD burning software I currently know-of only allows a 2.0 audio track, and whats a good DVD demo-mix withoutits full 5.1 sound?!

D

Die Hard Yammy

Junior Audioholic
The entire Indiana Jones trilogy can be pretty demanding at times for any system. IMO
Bad Boys II superbit: Phenominal in the car chase scene
Terminator II: the scene with the mini-gun and the building blows up is A1.
Cliffhanger: The first scene with the chopper moving all around you is demanding BASS wise.
Top Gun 6.1 DTS ex: All the air combat scenes aswell as music, AWSOME!
Gladiator (i'm suprised no-one's said it) The first fight at the coloseum has big bass with the chariots and the fight against TITUS with the tigers has awsome high's with the swords clashing!

These are all I could think of off the top of my head!

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
The Haunting - will bring tears to your eyes. Hard to find.

Need For Speed 1 - the street race scene. Turn it up. Great highs and bass. Also some great tunes in the so so flick.

Isn't it great impressing friends with your new HT system? I love the thread where the guy lost his clock off the wall! Those SVS and HSU subs must be causing a ton of damage!!!

T

Triplicate

Audiophyte
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
This gets asked so many times that people should just post their favorite system demo's in their 'signature'.

Slightly different question: I have several DVDs that I like to use select parts of to use as a Demo (examples: LOTR:FOTR "escape from Moria", Kill Bill "showdown at the house of blue leaves", Matrix Revolutions "Final Neo/Smith fight", so on and so on).

Is there any computer software that would allow me to copy select chapters from multiple DVDs to make one DVD-R "mix tape", and allow me to keep the 5.1 audio? I own all of the DVDS in question and certainly do not intend to use this to pirate anything, but all the DVD burning software I currently know-of only allows a 2.0 audio track, and whats a good DVD demo-mix withoutits full 5.1 sound?!
There is great freeware software to handle your DVD needs. Visit www.Doom9.org.

Get DVDshrink and DVD Decrypter for starters and follow the "Guides" on the website. There is a lot to learn but it's all here.

J

JP_Silver_S2k

Audioholic Intern
TOP GUN: DTS-ES 6.1 edition
GLADIATOR: DTS 6.1 Edition
KILL BILL VOL:1 (DTS TRACK)
THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS: DTS (bad movie, but great zoning the engine sounds are great)
BAD BOYS II: Superbit
LOTR Trilogy: DTS

Pretty much any movie with DTS sounds great (DTS Being better than dolby digital)

V

vega ls-12

Audiophyte
stir of echoes-some of the best surround effects-dts
terminator 2
predator-dts
last of the mohicans-dts
paycheck

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Run for your money

Definetly Chronicles of Riddick, also;

Underworld
Master and Commander
The Incredibles (believe it or not) :eek:
Saving Private Ryan

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
A good video stress test is the recent version of Resident Evil. All those little computer read-outs way out at the edges (where your TV is least sensitive) is a good way to compare resolutions.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis