Mark Knopfler
Jimmy Page
Eric Clapton
Les Paul (the inventor, for God's sake)
Chet Atkins
Andre Segovia
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Duane Eddy
(Richard) Dale (Guess you can't say **** with this software, eh?)
Linc Wray
These guys, IMHO, had a "sound" that was always instantly recognizable. Most of the others, while admittedly talented, were pretty much derivitives of the real innovators.

Of course, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Here's my favorites.

Overall: Clapton-voice/musician/ability to bring out the best in others.
Jazz: Pat Methaney-he's just unreal.
Rock: Clapton/Joe Walsh/Jimmi Page/Hendrix
Blues: BB King/ Buddy Guy
Heavy Metal:Slash/Dime Bag
Other: Leo Kotkee/Shawn Lane/John Mayer/Billy F. Gibbons
Hard Blues: Johnny Winter/Johnny Lang
I claim in no particulkar order!
:)

T

TinleyJake

Enthusiast
Three that haven't been mentioned yet but would make my top 20 in the Rock guitairist Genre:

Tom Scholz - MIT Engineering grad who was dissatisfied with the equipment from the 70's that he built and marketed his own equipment like the Rockman headphone guitar amp. No to mention forming the group Boston.

Rik Emmett - Guitar player for the Canadian rock group TRIUMPH. I've seen Rush and Triumph both live and Triumph blew everyone else away.

Ritchie Blackmore - First class a-hole but great talent. Check out Rainbows live album thatbegins with a guitar version of "Over the Rainbow".

For blues style guitarists:

Tony Joe White: Best version of Polk Salad Annie that I've ever heard. This guys singing and guitar talents go me hoooked on the blues.

Honorable mentions that may not make the top 20 in any genre, but have influenced my guitar style:

George Lynch - Formerly of Dokken. Check out Mr. Scary.

Vivian Campbell - Always evolving from the days with Dio through Def Leppard and now his new solo effort has a great blues feel. Incredible talent.

Jeff Watson and Brad Gillis - Became relatively unknowns since Night Ranger but both are incredibly talentd guitarists. Jeff Watsons 8-finger neck tap is amazing.

Ritchie Sambora - Most know him for his efforts with BonJovi but check out his solo release "stranger in a strange town" from over 10 years ago. Rock/blues feel that gave me a new respect for this guys talents.

Biggest suprises:

James Taylor - Saw him live and came away in awe of this man's guitar talents. It's been said that he is actually a better guitarist than anyone that has backed him in his band.

G.E. Smith - One of the most sought after studio musicians.

B

BMO

Junior Audioholic
Would certainly like to put some rock guitarist in my list, very few come to mind.
In no certain order here are my top ten

Poco Pena
Ottmar Liebert
Paco De Lucia
Armik
Carlos Montova
Benise
Manolo Sanivar
Preston Reed
Antonio Arenas
John Renbourn
Honorable Mention
Richie Blackmore he can, and does, play all styles very expertly.
Lawrence Juber ( Paul McCartny and Wings )He also plays it all.

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
newtoitall said:
I suppose no one has heard of Lenny Breau either???:eek:
A guitar genius! Long time friend Chet Atkins was awed by his abilities.

Too bad the drugs got to him.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
Some that I hve always liked:

Danny Gatton - It's a shame more people weren't exposed to him before he took his life.

Larry Carlton - Could you ask for better session player?

James Burton - Great old school country session player. James Burton & Ralph Mooney - Corn Pickin N Slick Slidin is a must have.

Paco De Lucia - Love my sunday morning flamenco.

Vernon Reid - Deserves much more recognition than he gets.

Grant Green - That man had some serious rythym.

Mark Knopfler - The most beautiful tone I've ever heard come out of a guitar.

Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow, Wired and Guitar Shop belong in any guitarists collection.

Steve Morse - See him live if you can. His trio always shreds it up.

Herb Ellis - Jazz guitar wouldn't be the same without him. His recordings with Joe Pass are sublime.

Last edited:
S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
gmichael said:
Steve Howe
If you don't have it already, Extraction, with Howe, Victor Wooten and Dennis Chambers is fantastic.

H

Hstar

Enthusiast
I'll bet more music has been because of this post than could be imagined. Of all these posts all, are good i have my opinions on some of them though,(Zeppelin amazing band collectively. Not real impressed separately. I guess they just fedd off each other to become rock icons) I can't believe that Lindsey Buckingham was only mentioned once. A few that do need mention:
James Burton?- (Elvis's lead guitar)
Justin Haywood- (Moody Blues, known more for his lyrics)
John Denver- (Amazing how he could finger pick a 12 sting)
David Crosby, Stephen Stills, Grahm Nash
Jerry Garcia- I've just read about his accoustic work, Need to find some.
Gary Moore- Thin Lizzy
Tommy Shaw- Awsome
What about Kenny Loggins, Gordon Lightfoot, Jim Croce?
Chris Thompsan & Steve Waller (Both from Manfred Mann's Earth Band)
Kiss Would have gone nowhere without Ace Frehley. I think Stanley is a legend in his own mind.
As you can see, I'm more into accoustic guitar than electric. These are just a few of my thoughts. It would be fun to read a sting like this on Drummers. That would be good as well.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
Hstar said:
James Burton?- (Elvis's lead guitar)
I mentioned him a page back. One of my favorites.

Burton played with Elvis from 69-77, but he was better know as being one of the most influential session guitarists of his day. He has played with dozens of musicians from Merle Haggard to Elvis Costello. He only has 2 solo albums, Corn Pickin N Slick Slidin being the one that I recommend. It is a timeless classic that also features the brilliant slide work of Ralph Mooney.

Last edited:
H

Hstar

Enthusiast
Your right, my bad. He and Ronnie Tut did a great job with Elvis. I will definately be looknig for some music from this post.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Gill

Poor Vince Gill,he gets no respect and he might be better then most on this list.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
shokhead said:
Poor Vince Gill,he gets no respect and he might be better then most on this list.
Gill is also one of my favorites. There are about two dozen country/bluegrass shredders that deserve mention. Some of them, including Vince, can be found on Mark O'conners New Nashville Cats.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I just couldn't leave these guys behind and I was surprised no one mentioned them before. These guys were the vanguard in jazz.

Kenny Burrell
George Van Eps
Bucky Pizzarelli
Howard Roberts
Charlie Byrd
Charlie Christian
Dennis Budimir

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
Bireli Lagrene for another guitarist that hasn't been mentioned. Live in Marciac is a great one.

aspaceintime

aspaceintime

Audioholic
James Burton...

To hear and see a great example of James Burton, check out Roy Orbison Black & White Night. I had no idea who he was until I read the liner notes...Very good!

mech

mech

Audioholic Intern
Hstar said:
(Zeppelin amazing band collectively. Not real impressed separately.
Not real impressed separately? There are many people who think RP,JP,JB are some of the greatest at their own segments. I find it odd that you make that comment and they give props to Kenny Loggins! LOL.. Nothing against Kenny but I don't think I have ever heard anyone bust out a Loggins riff at guitar center lately, and trust me I have heard some weird stuff played at that store. Now did anyone mention Chet Atkins?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis