Top 10 Guitar Players all genres

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
stratman said:
but the man is iconic like it or not and he has influenced the rock/latin rock landscape. .
Good marketing can do wonders. ;)

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
I am surprised to see Clapton not mentioned more often. Maybe it's just me or maybe it's a boomer thing, I am about the same age as Clapton. His mix of rock and blues suites me just fine. Hell, I even like his version of Over The Rainbow.

Nick

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
rjbudz,

You're certainly correct on marketing it can do wonders! As for Clapton?(Nick 250) Well.....
yeah,he's excellent but there's a certain level of guitarists (and this might sound elitist and even down right snobbish and I certainly don't mean to) that are "originators" and brilliant and alot of these guys that came out of the 60's wern't it, I mean they took a sound that originated in the American delta and adopted and adapted it (which that in itself was innovative) but not genious and came out with modern rock (Stones, et. al.) Genius in my opinion: Django, Johnson, Waters. These guys are on level that still hasn't been surpassed, especially Django; Here's a man that even Segovia couldn't figure out! And by certain accounts was a bit jealous of his technique.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Everyone should give a listen to George Benson before he started singing. When he was recording for CTI he did some incredible things.:cool:

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I agree, Benson before succumbing to mainstream was (and still is) an amazing player. Breezin' was his breakthrough and back in 1976 when disco was just beginning to go mainstream he was a breath of fresh air, I might be mistaken, but I think GB and Gato Barbieri (sax player) started the "urban" fake jazz groove back in '76....Even though GB truly is a jazz man.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
stratman said:
rjbudz,

You're certainly correct on marketing it can do wonders! As for Clapton?(Nick 250) Well.....
yeah,he's excellent but there's a certain level of guitarists (and this might sound elitist and even down right snobbish and I certainly don't mean to) that are "originators" and brilliant and alot of these guys that came out of the 60's wern't it, I mean they took a sound that originated in the American delta and adopted and adapted it (which that in itself was innovative) but not genious and came out with modern rock (Stones, et. al.) Genius in my opinion: Django, Johnson, Waters. These guys are on level that still hasn't been surpassed, especially Django; Here's a man that even Segovia couldn't figure out! And by certain accounts was a bit jealous of his technique.
I am sure Clapton would agree about being inspired by some of those you mentioned. He has said it often in interviews. But every guitarist is influenced by others, including Johnson and Waters, as they said themselves. For me, the blues influence on Clapton is key to my enjoyment of his music. But there is a varied and rich texture to his music which I find unique and very enjoyable to listen to and for me Clapton stands out of the crowd because of it.

Nick

M

MikeEckhardt

Audioholic Intern
Steve Hackett - very much innovative, no doubt original, pioneered tapping... he is very underrated.

T

tejax

Audioholic Intern
And what about Mark Knopfler?
Slash, from Guns and Roses fame, is also a good player, imho.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Stevie Ray Vaughn had a lot of talent, I really would have liked to see him live. Some of my favorite guitar work is by him and he is one of the best I have ever heard.

I always thought that chuck Berry was underrated and ahead of his time. Nothing too fancy, just good guitar work.

I saw Steve Vai live and was very unimpressed by him live. His ego was about the only thing he showed well on stage.

Joe Satriani was amazing, he made his guitar do things that were very innovative and original, plus he sounded good too.

Peter Frampton seems to have been forgotten about by many. He really was a great musician.

Can't forget Jimi Hendrix

I don't know about his overall talent, but Stranglehold by Ted Nugent is a great piece of guitarwork.

I don't know his name, but the guitar player from Queen was very good.

I always liked the guitar work by Pink Floyd (waters?gilmour?).

Unknown - I saw a hispanic genleman on tv who played accoustic guitar with an incredible amount of talent. It was the same type of music from Desperado, sorry, I don't know what it is called or who he was, just that he was damn good and apparently rather famous.

N

newtoitall

Junior Audioholic
I suppose no one has heard of Lenny Breau either???:eek:

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Hey jack,

His name is Brian May and I've enjoyed his playing over the years, he's done a few music clinics, he's active, in fact there was (or might still be ongoing) a Queen reunion I think Paul Rogers was tapped to fill in for Freddy Mercury......

Something I've known all along specially when this thread was started there can never be a top 10 or for that matter a top anything when it comes to music and the arts in general.....The bottom line is: if you like the music and it moves you then you're on the right track! I enjoy a very broad spectrum of music, not only as a player, but as a listener and I usually go back to my roots (jazz and improv, and studio musicians who were my influence) but I try to listen to as much music as I can (different genres)to continue my education. The whole point of the thread is NOT to say one guitar player is better than another,but to start a "conversation" on what a person's take is on a particular musician(s).

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Heh

stratman said:
Hey jack,

The whole point of the thread is NOT to say one guitar player is better than another,but to start a "conversation" on what a person's take is on a particular musician(s).
the amp and sub threads start off that way, as well.:D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Funny isn't it???? It's what makes this site all right. Keep listening, keep playing, if you don't play try it, pick up a guitar, get some lessons and hey who knows? That's the fun of it all!!

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
I agree with most of these lists, but have any you guys ever heard of Jimmy Page?

D

davo

Full Audioholic
Damn

geno you just beat me to it. JIMMY PAGE IS ONE OF THE BEST!! There is also Brian May, Roger Waters, Mark Knofler, Slash, SRV, in my elite list.
Then we get into Steve Vai (great fun to watch live especially when he has Virgil D'nardi melting his drums), Joe Satch (pretty boring to watch live, might as well stayed home and listened to cd), Yngwie, Paul Gilbert, Nuno Bettencourt, Gary Moore, yada yada yada.
I'm just starting to get into jazz, I think its great but I dont have any favorite players yet. The only classical music I really know is Pachabel's "Canon", and heres why.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8:D :p :p :p :p I wanted to burn my guitar after watching this. Enjoy.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Davo,

If you're getting into jazz, you might like these guys: Barney Kessel, Joe Pass, John Scofield. And if you can find some early George Benson you'll be amazed.

Stratman

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
The God of Speed title has to go to Michael Angelo Batio, who invented and was the world’s first player of the twin-necked, left and right-handed Double-Guitar. He also invented the over-under technique and was Tom Morello's (Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave) teacher.
If you want to see the guy rip go half-way down the page to the "Speed Lives" video and watch it - you'll be pretty impressed no matter who you are.

http://www.angelo.com/mp3___video.html

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I think he's a really great artist. I also have a great Stevie Ray Vaughn collection and I’m a huge fan. Please do yourself a favor and listen to Roy Buchanan's You're Not Alone CD. You will hear cord changes faster than slash (who I also like) can ever hope to pick, and the fastest and cleanest picking ever. BTW: The man, with several recent platinum albums to his name, is officially said to have committed suicide in an LA county jail cell in shame of being busted for drunk in public. More likely he was executed for barfing on a cop. What a huge loss!

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Sholling,

Roy Buchanan died in jail??? I didn't know this, what a shame and what an outrageous talent.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis