Top 10 Guitar Players all genres

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
Chieli Minnuci and Russ Freeman are other Jazz guitarists that rarely get mentioned, but should

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Off the top of my head...

Eric Clapton, Alex Lifeson, SRV, JoeSatriani, Steve Vai, Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, John Lee Hooker, Joe Walsh & John Petrucci.

Not for any technical reasons but just players I really like. I'm sure I've forgot someone...

Honorable mention to David Gilmour.

Not so Honorable mention to Elliot Easton. Maybe not the greatest but The Cars are the band that hooked me...Ah 1978, I remember it well, 9 years old and not a care in the world!

I'm always mildly suprised to rarely see Alex Lifeson on any list like this. I can't think of anyone that was playing quite like him in '74 thru '76 but then again I'm only a drummer.:D

Good list,
SBF1

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
Classical Spanish guitar

Narciso Yepes, Andres Segovia, and at least one of the Romeros should be on the list... also on my list are McLaughlin, de Lucia, Hackett, Fripp... this is impossible! There's too many greats, but that's a good thing.:D

Ax-man

Ax-man

Audioholic
sholling said:
BTW: The man, with several recent platinum albums to his name, is officially said to have committed suicide in an LA county jail cell in shame of being busted for drunk in public. More likely he was executed for barfing on a cop. What a huge loss!
Actually this is not entirely true ...

From Wikipedia:

'Buchanan's long-standing alcohol and substance problems worsened with time, culminating in a domestic dispute with his wife at their Reston, Virginia home in 1988. She called the police, who arrested Buchanan. Several hours later Buchanan was found hanged in his cell. His cause of death was officially recorded as suicide, a finding disputed by some of Buchanan's friends and family.'

RIP Roy Buchanan.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Marc Bolan

Anyone remember Marc Bolan from T-Rex? "Get it on (bang a gong)?" Later remade by The Power Station.

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
STRONGBADF1 said:
Off the top of my head...

Eric Clapton, Alex Lifeson, SRV, JoeSatriani, Steve Vai, Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, John Lee Hooker, Joe Walsh & John Petrucci.

Not for any technical reasons but just players I really like. I'm sure I've forgot someone...

Honorable mention to David Gilmour.

Not so Honorable mention to Elliot Easton. Maybe not the greatest but The Cars are the band that hooked me...Ah 1978, I remember it well, 9 years old and not a care in the world!

I'm always mildly suprised to rarely see Alex Lifeson on any list like this. I can't think of anyone that was playing quite like him in '74 thru '76 but then again I'm only a drummer.:D

Good list,
SBF1

Another vote for my man Alex as well!!! :D

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Ax-man said:
Actually this is not entirely true ...

From Wikipedia:

'Buchanan's long-standing alcohol and substance problems worsened with time, culminating in a domestic dispute with his wife at their Reston, Virginia home in 1988. She called the police, who arrested Buchanan. Several hours later Buchanan was found hanged in his cell. His cause of death was officially recorded as suicide, a finding disputed by some of Buchanan's friends and family.'

RIP Roy Buchanan.
I found that story as well. I was going from memories of an LA Times story I read the day after he died. That was a lot of years ago and knowing the Times it's as likely that the mistaken location was their's as it was mine, but hey I'm a good sport and will fall on my sword. Ya got me partner... :)

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
stratman said:
Anyone remember Marc Bolan from T-Rex? "Get it on (bang a gong)?" Later remade by The Power Station.
I remember Tommy Bolan from Deep Purple and some pretty good stuff of his own.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I never got into Deep Purple, don't know why. All I remember was "Smoke on the water" and I was never crazy about the tune.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Don Kirshner's Rock Concert

Man I know I'm showing my age, any other dinosaurs out there besides me that rembers this show??? Way before MTV, DKRC was the only way to see your favorite rock act without going to a concert. I remember seeing: Golden Earing, E. W. F., Black Oak Arkansas, Kansas, ELO, Styx, Led Zep,
Santana, Boz Scaggz, Heart, Starbuck, America, The Ohio Players, Grand Funk Railroad, The Average White Band, etc, etc, man I was young kid and I remember Monday a.m. at junior high all the talk was about DKRC. Forgetting disco, the seventies were a great time for music, musical tech, I guess I'm just "reminiscing " (Little River Band)

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
stratman said:
Man I know I'm showing my age, any other dinosaurs out there besides me that rembers this show??? Way before MTV, DKRC was the only way to see your favorite rock act without going to a concert. I remember seeing: Golden Earing, E. W. F., Black Oak Arkansas, Kansas, ELO, Styx, Led Zep,
Santana, Boz Scaggz, Heart, Starbuck, America, The Ohio Players, Grand Funk Railroad, The Average White Band, etc, etc, man I was young kid and I remember Monday a.m. at junior high all the talk was about DKRC. Forgetting disco, the seventies were a great time for music, musical tech, I guess I'm just "reminiscing " (Little River Band)
I remember it well, and might add that the audio was simulcast in stereo over local FM stations. My first serious system (Sansui integrated amp & tuner, Infinity 200-AXT speakers) were tuned in faithfully. Guess that makes me a dinosaur, too.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
stratman said:
Bah, you guys are just youngsters. I cut my teeth watching **** (won't take Richard?) Clark's American Bandstand. Now there was a show that started it all...and thank goodness it's not still on. :cool:

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
How about that Pete guy from the Who. Did somebody say Joe Walsh?

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Sansui!! That was my first integrated stereo, I got it from Spiegel (catalog), it had 45 watts per channel, turntable, cassette deck, and speakers! And dinosaur? well I guess in these pages anyone over 35 is probably a dinosaur!!!!

BTW my buddy inherited that Sansui amp and used it for about another 10 years before it gave way (total usage 24 years!!)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Oh RJ,

I forgot to tell you....****( won't take Richard) Clark's blood is really formaldehyde.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
stratman said:
Oh RJ,

I forgot to tell you....****( won't take Richard) Clark's blood is really formaldehyde.
Yeah, there's another guy that neither heaven nor hell wants. :D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
We'll, playing **** Clark's stuff in hell would be beyond torment!!!

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Someone did mention Steve Hackett? right? He played on Boz Scaggs' Silk Degrees, along with most of the guys that became TOTO.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis