Tombstone on Blu Ray coming in April!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I have the original SD DVD version and the Vista Series and I will pick it up on BD in anticipation of even better audio.
The initial release of Tombstone was sad, a single later DVD with Dolby Pro Logic.:eek:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just picked mine up. Might have to watch it tonight :) Blu-ray.com review gave it good marks overall, but knocked it for video saying that while it looks the best it ever has, it has some issues.

"I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game."

Last edited:
jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Just picked mine up. Might have to watch it tonight :) Blu-ray.com review gave it good marks overall, but knocked it for video saying that while it looks the best it ever has, it has some issues.

"I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game."
Do you know what he was referring too when he said that?

Click here to see.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I did not know that. I did notice that he was the only one who had that holster though, and that made him that much faster apparently.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Do you know what he was referring too when he said that?

Click here to see.
I recall some talk of the phrase popping up after the movie came out citing it as an old expression, possibly going back a few hundred years. A huckleberry generally referred to something being smaller or less but when used in a phrase like, "being your huckleberry" it meant being the right person for that job. So Doc's essentially telling Ringo that Earp isn't up to the task but he is.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I recall some talk of the phrase popping up after the movie came out citing it as an old expression, possibly going back a few hundred years. A huckleberry generally referred to something being smaller or less but when used in a phrase like, "being your huckleberry" it meant being the right person for that job. So Doc's essentially telling Ringo that Earp isn't up to the task but he is.
Yeah I read that too, but I don't buy it for this movie, not with his holster so prominently on display. Too much of a coincidence. It is also not a phrase I have ever heard anywhere but in that movie. I have never even read about or heard about it in any form. Also, Mr. NRA and gun enthusiast himself was on the set. :) God rest his soul; he was one of my all time favorite actors.

Last edited:
Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yeah I read that too, but I don't buy it for this movie, not with his holster so prominently on display. Too much of a coincidence. It is also not a phrase I have ever heard anywhere but in that movie. I have never even read about or heard about it in any form. Also, Mr. NRA and gun enthusiast himself was on the set. :) God rest his soul; he was one of my all time favorite actors.
IIRC, it fell out of common usage sometime in the early to mid 1900's. I'm sure the holster was also part of the reference and likely a nice play on words for those who get it.

bsheasby

bsheasby

Enthusiast
Anyone have a first-hand review of this? I was one of the suckers that bought the original Prologic DVD and would like to make sure I'm getting the real deal this time. ;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Anyone have a first-hand review of this? I was one of the suckers that bought the original Prologic DVD and would like to make sure I'm getting the real deal this time. ;)
No reservations about getting this one. As far as I can tell, it has the important features from the Vista Edition too, and the PQ is noticeably improved. I've already watched it twice.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
This one is $14.99 at Frys this weekend!
I got an even better deal from Amazon...there is currently a deal going on for $10 off if you buy Tombstone and Armageddon together. Well, yesterday they were both $12.99, so I was able to pick BOTH up for $15 shipped!! (for my dad for Father's Day) I was going to post the deal up yesterday but they raised the price almost immediately; currently $17.99 each, offsetting the $10 discount.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Playing Red Dead Redemption and reading this thread again is giving me an irresistible urge to watch Tombstone again.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
LOL. I watched Tombstone not too long ago and while playing I keep thinking "it would be nice if I could say 'I'm your Huckleberry' " in the game :D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
LOL. I watched Tombstone not too long ago and while playing I keep thinking "it would be nice if I could say 'I'm your Huckleberry' " in the game :D
No one has that holster in the game.:(

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
That makes sense that you would not have read it in any book since is is a pretty old saying:

"Huckleberry" was commonly used in the 1800's in conjunction with "persimmon" as a small unit of measure. "I'm a huckleberry over your persimmon" meant "I'm just a bit better than you." As a result, "huckleberry" came to denote idiomatically two things. First, it denoted a small unit of measure, a "tad," as it were, and a person who was a huckleberry could be a small, unimportant person--usually expressed ironically in mock self-depreciation. The second and more common usage came to mean, in the words of the "Dictionary of American Slang: Second Supplemented Edition" (Crowell, 1975):
"A man; specif., the exact kind of man needed for a particular purpose. 1936: "Well, I'm your huckleberry, Mr. Haney." Tully, "Bruiser," 37. Since 1880, archaic.
Source

That was the quickest source I could find but that is what I had found previously when looking into it in other sources.

Now it makes sense that they inserted the holster to go along with that reference but I believe this usage is what they were referring to.

Oh and I love this movie. In my top 3 easily. Not just westerns, All movies.

P.S. I understand I was a little late to the draw with that explanation. ; )

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That makes sense that you would not have read it in any book since is is a pretty old saying:

Source

That was the quickest source I could find but that is what I had found previously when looking into it in other sources.

Now it makes sense that they inserted the holster to go along with that reference but I believe this usage is what they were referring to.

Oh and I love this movie. In my top 3 easily. Not just westerns, All movies.

P.S. I understand I was a little late to the draw with that explanation. ; )
My girlfriend is into ancestry and she did some digging and came up with some info similar to this.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis