Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
If I were considering jumping on the MX 160 that would be the only McIntosh processor I would get. Is the Mx160 worth the extra difference in what I have now? And what could I expect compared to Onkyo? I’m not into gaming, just DVD,s 4K movies or Blu-ray and streaming Netflix with a pass thru to my C2700 preamp for 2 channel music. I would never pay for the price of the new MX180 or a used mx170. I would go for an Anthem AVM70 first, then Denon or Onkyo TX RZ50 when my Onkyo TX RZ1100 stops working?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The biggest difference in sound you'll hear is going to come from different speakers. Many fuss over the rest. There is one issue with the MX160 that would have me running the other way. It's limited in its ability to pass 4K content. You'll get away with 4K HDR @24Hz but it can't handle full 4K @60Hz. This will be an issue with some streamers as some services do not support 24Hz playback on some streamers. It was a glaring omission on it a few years back but even more so now. Sony is the only one fooling around with dated HDMI ports these days. You won't have an issue with DVDs and UHD blu-rays. Blu-ray plays at 24Hz automatically. But, streaming services and devices are all over the place. I just wouldn't spend that much money on obsolete HDMI ports. So, if your heart is set on a McIntosh unit, I'd move on to a newer model or go for the Anthem AVM70. But, that's just my opinion on the matter. You won't have a sound issue with any of them.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
That’s what I like to hear. I’ve always been a fan of Anthem. I’ve already have a Anthem amp. Apparently I bought the Onkyo before I knew any better when I could’ve bought an Anthem, but thank you, I needed to hear that so I don’t have to mentally dwell over the fact that the MX160 is availabl. So now I can save the money for something else.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I’m back. The stereo shop came and calibrated a Anthem mrx720 with arc. I really like it for HT.
I hope I made a good decision on buying it for a fraction of the new cost. I have a buyer for my Onkyo tx rz1100 reciever. Not ready to let it go yet, may keep it as a spare. Any thoughts?
Is this to be or not to be?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’m back. The stereo shop came and calibrated a Anthem mrx720 with arc. I really like it for HT.
I hope I made a good decision on buying it for a fraction of the new cost. I have a buyer for my Onkyo tx rz1100 reciever. Not ready to let it go yet, may keep it as a spare. Any thoughts?
Is this to be or not to be?
You made the right decision not wasting money on an older McIntosh.

I would just keep the Onkyo as a spare.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Play with the Anthem for a while before selling off the Onkyo.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Several movies later, wow. I am really enjoying this older Anthem.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
The Onkyo I had since new. It did me well.
However, The Anthem is better. Just one setup calibration, and I don’t want to touch it.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I hate to add onto my thread without hijacking other threads. I am about to install four ceiling speakers, but can’t get past my sitting position for rear Atmos. My option is have directly above my head or forward one Joist, but should the front ceiling speakers be above the left and right speakers or back towards sitting position like the 90° angle from my sitting position.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I did use the speaker calculator to measure from ear level to ceiling and multiply that number by formula to get distance from over head to front speaker position. Which I would go with that. However, stereo shop recommends putting front atmos near or above LR speakers which would be farther away from my seat. I feel that would less than 30 degrees and ineffective.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did use the speaker calculator to measure from ear level to ceiling and multiply that number by formula to get distance from over head to front speaker position. Which I would go with that. However, stereo shop recommends putting front atmos near or above LR speakers which would be farther away from my seat. I feel that would less than 30 degrees and ineffective.
Have you reviewed the actual atmos guidelines for speaker placement?

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Yes. I don’t understand where they get the formula for height distance from ear to ceiling x 1.73 = your distance for top front speaker to 90 degree point.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yes. I don’t understand where they get the formula for height distance from ear to ceiling x 1.73 = your distance for top front speaker to 90 degree point.
Not sure where that’s from. But it MIGHT be referring to surround speakers height placement. H1(tweeter height of LR)times up to 1.73=h2(height of surround tweeter).
Just a guess…
If you’re calculating front and rear tops at 45°, that’s easy. Measure from ear to ceiling and that’s the distance in front and behind the listener.

If you’re only using two, then just in front of the couch at maybe 25-30° is good. I don’t agree that the front wall is good for a single set of heights. This will give you almost zero overhead sound.
Also as said. Have you reviewed the Atmos guides?

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Dolby .4 setup says, seat at 90 degrees, top front at 45 degrees, top back at 135 degrees.

I calculated that formula from (Home Theater Guru - episode 3) YouTube video and the measurement came out exactly where the stereo shop told me to put it. Which is above my L/R speakers. But I feel as though, like Anthony Grimani says, “too close get confused”.

Your drawing makes sense. You mentioned top front would be not recommended, would moving it closer to sitting position. It would be 6’ apart from overhead speaker and 2’ away from LCR.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Dolby .4 setup says, seat at 90 degrees, top front at 45 degrees, top back at 135 degrees.

I calculated that formula from (Home Theater Guru - episode 3) YouTube video and the measurement came out exactly where the stereo shop told me to put it. Which is above my L/R speakers. But I feel as though, like Anthony Grimani says, “too close get confused”.

Your drawing makes sense. You mentioned top front would be not recommended, would moving it closer to sitting position. It would be 6’ apart from overhead speaker and 2’ away from LCR.
Just for clarity. I would recommend TOP front, but not front height(on the wall). Unless using rear height as well. At least that way, you will get some front to rear panning, and some overhead sounds.
FWIW, I don’t trust a lot of “stereo shops” anymore. Many of them seem to be stuck in the pre atmos days.
I’m only slightly familiar with home theater gurus per AVS and some threads there. From memory, they have pointed out that the lines shown overhead are NOT indicating to place overhead speakers in line with the mains. I agree with that as the whole point of overhead speakers in an Atmos configuration is based on angles. IF they line up, then great. But many won’t. I also seem to recall they use angles that start from different points than Dolby. And that makes it confusing.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
How will .4 top front and slightly forward top middle above sitting position pan out for my room?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
How will .4 top front and slightly forward top middle above sitting position pan out for my room?
Apologies if I’ve seen your room…can’t remember.
It sounds like the couch is up against the back wall? IMO you need room behind for .4 to work. So if you don’t have any room, I’d go .2.
Having all the sounds designed for overhead coming from that far in front of you would be off. IMO.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
My room 16x37x7. I have 7.2 now. My ceiling has a duct soffit behind my couch. Can’t put ceiling top back speakers in. Only from above my seating position to 14’ to TV.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis