Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Buying a used processor for HT.

I need help from audioholic shrink.
I am debating on buying a used
McIntosh mx160.
I currently have a Onkyo TX RZ1100.
Am I wasting my time and money with an older processor?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Depends on what your needs for processing/connectivity are....does the older unit handle the stuff you need it to for now and the future? I find no magic in McIntosh myself, but it should at least retain value better than Onkyo should you change your mind down the line....

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I’ve had no complaints about the Onkyo, I have collected over the last two years about 150 new DVDs from Best Buy and love the impact the sound of movies brings to my system. I am sticking with 7.2 only. Been researching about the roomcorrect the mx160 has. My two channel music is running through the McIntosh mc2700 using 2 record players and a bluesound node2i. Just trying to build a better system and thought the price of the mx160 was cheap compared to new. I have access to demoing it before I make my decision to buy or not, but don’t wanna go through all the trouble of setting it up if it’s not to outdated.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Buying a used processor for HT.

I need help from audioholic shrink.
I am debating on buying a used
McIntosh mx160.
I currently have a Onkyo TX RZ1100.
Am I wasting my time and money with an older processor?
Buying a Mac used processor doesn't offer any value, other then name recognition and aesthetics, and room perfect. The price would have to be extremely good for my liking. Now amps and 2ch preamps are another story, value wise and ROI.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It uses Lyngdorf's RoomPerfect I see (expected Audyssey XT until I looked), but haven't looked into much let alone used. Have you been using the Onkyo's Dirac room eq?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It uses Lyngdorf's RoomPerfect I see (expected Audyssey XT until I looked), but haven't looked into much let alone used. Have you been using the Onkyo's Dirac room eq?
TX RZ1100 doesn't use Dirac yet, it's still on their own AccuEQ

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I can get it for $4000. And I do use the Onkyo’s dirac,s calibration setup and adjust speaker setup periodically.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can get it for $4000. And I do use the Onkyo’s dirac,s calibration setup and adjust speaker setup periodically.
How do you use Dirac with the 1100? When I looked per Bored's post, it doesn't seem to have that as a feature. AccuEQ can probably easily be improved upon....

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
I plug in the Microphone cable to the Onkyo and start the calibration test with the microphone on a tipod at the center seat ear level of my couch and save the settings.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I plug in the Microphone cable to the Onkyo and start the calibration test with the microphone on a tipod at the center seat ear level of my couch and save the settings.
I think that's just AccuEQ you're using, not Dirac.

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
My bad, you are absolutely right. It is AccuEQ Room Calibration.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I'd get the Onkyo TX-RZ50 with DIRAC in a second over the MX160. It will be familiar, have DIRAC, the latest HDMI and HDCP specs and the all important warranty for far less money. You do know the Mac has no amps in it like the Onkyo, right? So, you'd need additional amps for your 7.2 setup.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
For real sound quality difference, get the x4800h or C40, after adding $800 for DLBC, it still costs you less than $4,000. Actually less because DLBC is for them won't be available until later this year or even next year. Brand new with the latest feature, though the MX160 isn't that old, but for $4K, that's old, and used? I wouldn't do it, old power amps are fine especially McIntosh's but not a 4K 11 multichannel avp.

Or for $3399, the Anthem AVM70 is also a better value, brand new with HDMI2.1, HDCP 2.3. Anthem's ARCG is not as good, but if you how to tweak with the app, it can do a good job too.

Last edited:
Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Yes, I have a anthem MCA325 channel amp for center and surround , and a carver 2 channel amp for my fronts. I would need a small 2 chanel amp for my rear surround or I could go through the Onkyo as an amp for my surround rear?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Would be curious if anybody really experienced a real quality difference in sound from the Denon over the Onkyo in a blind test. The real difference will be seen on the receipt. I don't recommend any products anymore that aren't fully equipped out of the box. Those updates may never come or come much later than expected at an even higher premium. If you are happy with the 1100, there is no reason to believe you wouldn't be so with the RZ50. With a 7.2 speaker setup using appropriate crossover settings, I wouldn't even bother with external amps unless you are using extremely large and inefficient speakers in a very, very large space at very, very high volume levels. Two channel music listening with a sub should be no issue for normal listening levels in a home environment. I'm not trying to sell you anything. I'd rather see you save some money on gear that you can turn around and spend on movies.

Last edited:
Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Thank you for the recommendation. This is what I have so far. Basement with 7 foot low ceilings 16 feet wide by 37 feet long with GIK acoustic absorption panels first and second reflection points from wall ceiling to wall. A dedicated 20 amp circuit to the panel with its own breaker and ordinary outlets for now.

Audio system:
TV: Sony X95J 85” Bravia 4k VH2
DVD: Panasonic DP-UB9000
AV Reciever: Onkyo TX-RZ1100
Preamp: McIntosh C2700
Amp: Anthem MCA325
Amp: Carver M-1.0t 2 chanel
Bluesound node2i
Jvc Victor QL-A75/Nagaoka JT80
Technics SL1700 MK2/Nagaoka 270ED.
Focal Kanta no 3 fronts
Kanta center
4- Focal Aria 906 surrounds and rear surrounds
2- REL sx 212 subs
Monster power conditioner HTS 3500 mk II.
DB systems switch box for record players.

saving up for a pair of McIntosh MC611
Amps for front LR speakers.
At least now the Onkyo TXRZ 1100 instead of switching out on processor mx160. Just thought i’d take advantage of making home theater, a step above what i have.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Well, in for a penny, in for a pound.Get four more FK3's to match the fronts. I'd say five, but that low ceiling won't allow for the FK3 below that TV. Speaking of TV, go LG G3 83". LCD can't touch OLED blacks, color uniformity or wide viewing angles. Get the MX123. Ok, no DIRAC but Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 trumps AccuEQ. It has height virtualization that can be used with the floor standers and the low ceilings. Or, you could get really serious and start digging.;) Yeah, it all sounds silly. But, so do McIntosh prices for pretty green lights and glass. I love em' myself, but, damn.o_O

Cjamrr

Cjamrr

Audioholic
Makes me laugh about digging because I thought about that too. I’ve even gone as far as tearing down a perfectly finished basement drywall ceiling that I built 18 years ago too removing all my ductwork completely and relocating and resizing new ductwork from furnace in the house just to get more headroom in the basement and of course, better air pressure, which I told my wife. Nuts hah.
I’ve been busy researching since yesterday, not that I’m avoiding anybody, but I’m taking everyone’s point and checking it all out. But getting back to the original post, it was either Mx160 or no. I am building towards 2 channel McIntosh seprates. Just thought while I’m leaning that way, the 160 would be a nice aesthetic and with room perfect which I hear is very good, but I don’t have that knowledge that you guys have.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I get the aesthetic reasons. The MX180 is too pricey, the MX123 not as visually attractive because they removed two knobs and replaced them with four black buttons on just the left side. They also dropped the separate input/output channels and just put the one set for both inputs and outputs. So, the MX160 starts looking really good and has Room Perfect. So, what to do? Start saving for the MX180.;) If the MHT300 had twice the HDMI ports and was half the price, I'd probably bite. But, that would mean all new speakers and even more spending. But, life is short so...:p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis