Time for an upgrade?

H

hypermodecrits

Audioholic Intern
Hi all, I’m using 2 Polk PSW10’s in my 5.2.2 Tsi heavy setup. One is positioned front left and the other is rear right. They actually sound better than expected considering how budget they are. I’ve been considering getting a third for the front right since used ones are a dime a dozen and could probably get one for $40 or less. I feel like I’m only considering this for aesthetics at this point and I’m probably better off upgrading. I think I know the answer, but I’ll ask anyway:

Should I add a 3rd PSW10 just for the heck of it or get a better sub or two? If the latter, what are some models to consider for a nice step up in quality. Anything for around or under $250 would be preferable, and I’m fond of buying used so older models I should keep my eyes open for are totally within reason. This is for a relatively budget home theatre (see Tsi heavy setup) so I’m not really seeking high end gear, just an improvement.
Thanks!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If it were me, I would sell everything and just get a good front left/right. Two good speakers will sound a whole lot better than a bunch of so-so speakers.

H

hypermodecrits

Audioholic Intern
If it were me, I would sell everything and just get a good front left/right. Two good speakers will sound a whole lot better than a bunch of so-so speakers.
Thanks for the input. I’m quite happy with the performance of my setup, especially for what I’ve paid. I am far more discerning when it comes to my stereo speakers that I use specifically for music. If you have any suggestions for a sub upgrade though, I’d love to hear them.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
I think you know the answer to and have answered your own inquiry.

A $250 (per item, I hope) budget is not going to open up very many contenders.
The used market is the only realistic option and we can not possibly know what is in it in your area. Shipping a used sub is probably out of the question.

Since you mentioned asthetics, a mismatch will probably annoy you visually.

If you can get a third PSW for only $40 (beer money), it is worth a try. If it doesn't work out you can sell it for the same.

If serious about a sonic upgrade, start at the beginning and do your due diligence with the well established basics:
1) What is lacking now?
- Output, seat-to-seat consistency, etc.
2) What is the room's size (HWL) and characteristics
3) What are the seating position(s)
. . .

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
ill answer the question that you asked instead of making myself feel superior by putting down the system you’re happy with.
The best budget subwoofer that measures better and has more power is the Dayton Audio sub 1200/1500 or alot of people like the bic 12” subs I don’t remember the model but would probably go with a pair or 3.lol. You can find them new at Parts Express.com

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Agreed.

Imo two of these would definitely be a step up.

H

hypermodecrits

Audioholic Intern
ill answer the question that you asked instead of making myself feel superior by putting down the system you’re happy with.
The best budget subwoofer that measures better and has more power is the Dayton Audio sub 1200/1500 or alot of people like the bic 12” subs I don’t remember the model but would probably go with a pair or 3.lol. You can find them new at Parts Express.com
Right on! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

H

hypermodecrits

Audioholic Intern
Is one Bic F12 going to compete with two PSW10’s? I am pleasantly surprised by them, but I’m also aware that Polk subwoofers are pretty much bottom of the food chain.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Is one Bic F12 going to compete with two PSW10’s? I am pleasantly surprised by them, but I’m also aware that Polk subwoofers are pretty much bottom of the food chain.
One bic won’t compete for output, and it will be at a disadvantage in taming room modes too. What it will do is have deeper extension, and be more linear. I believe it’s a lower Q design than the Polk too which will make it sound more controlled and less boomy.
So really that’s an apples and oranges comparison…

H

hypermodecrits

Audioholic Intern
One bic won’t compete for output, and it will be at a disadvantage in taming room modes too. What it will do is have deeper extension, and be more linear. I believe it’s a lower Q design than the Polk too which will make it sound more controlled and less boomy.
So really that’s an apples and oranges comparison…
That’s fair, I’ll probably try to find a second Bic and just switch it up entirely.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep location can change availability. We're spoiled down south of you guys....

H

hypermodecrits

Audioholic Intern
Yep location can change availability. We're spoiled down south of you guys....
I’m close to the border and there is a storage place there, so if I can find reasonable shipping prices I could make it work.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’m close to the border and there is a storage place there, so if I can find reasonable shipping prices I could make it work.
Some do just that and opens up your choices somewhat.....altho warranty would be a consideration for that route when buying out of country.....

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Then on the other end of the spectrum you have some really awesome offerings at Funk https://www.funkaudio.ca/ but changes the budget a bit :)
And here I thought there was something new worth checking out. $11k US for powered MTMs? Cheapest sub $3k? Too rich for my blood. :D Impressive that they build their own drivers in house.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Then on the other end of the spectrum you have some really awesome offerings at Funk https://www.funkaudio.ca/ but changes the budget a bit :)
lovinthehd, I live about 2 1/2 hours away (including a Ferry across Howe Sound!) from these guys, but I've never heard of them.

For grins, after poking about their website a bit, I put their address (1877 Field Road, Sechelt BC, V0N3A1, Canada ) into Google Maps. Up pops a very unimpressive warehouse off the beaten track in Sechelt. (A very small town on the Sunshine Coast.) I think it would be a stretch to say they manufacture their own drivers for such obviously small production runs (at these prices!). But I could be wrong. Their cabinets are probably their focus as you don't need too much real estate to crank out a few pairs of speakers or Subs a month. Their finishes look like fine furniture. You would think they'd be promoting locally as shipping costs can be significant. But not a word has reached my ears...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
And here I thought there was something new worth checking out. $11k US for powered MTMs? Cheapest sub $3k? Too rich for my blood. :D Impressive that they build their own drivers in house.
lovinthehd, I live about 2 1/2 hours away (including a Ferry across Howe Sound!) from these guys, but I've never heard of them.

For grins, after poking about their website a bit, I put their address (1877 Field Road, Sechelt BC, V0N3A1, Canada ) into Google Maps. Up pops a very unimpressive warehouse off the beaten track in Sechelt. (A very small town on the Sunshine Coast.) I think it would be a stretch to say they manufacture their own drivers for such obviously small production runs (at these prices!). But I could be wrong. Their cabinets are probably their focus as you don't need too much real estate to crank out a few pairs of speakers or Subs a month. Their finishes look like fine furniture. You would think they'd be promoting locally as shipping costs can be significant. But not a word has reached my ears...
The cabinetry is absolutely furniture grade and most of them just stunning to look at. However, they are actually some of the most revered subwoofers available, anywhere. But being a smaller company and based in Canada, plus little advertising means many people have no idea about them. Opposite of a company like klipsch for example. I would take one Funk sub over 50 fart box klipsch subs. And money no object, is take them over SVS too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis