Tidal clicking/popping noise

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
Hi all!

Used to use the Tidal app on my Android TV but it would always eventually stall. So I am now running it off of a new laptop via HDMI into my Marantz SR7011. About 33% of the times when I’m in the middle of a song and change to another song, or even when I pause prior to changing songs, I get a quick but obnoxious popping/clicking noise almost like a record skipping. Almost always the L speaker (maybe always?). Never during a song, nor if listening to a full album, nor at any other time watching TV and/or movies.
I swapped out HDMI cord, not the issue. Just got all new cables from BJC and also apparently not the issue. It doesn’t seem to happen when operating tidal off of Bluetooth from my phone so I am suspecting the laptop may be the issue but again it’s brand new. I could just stick with Bluetooth but then what’s the point of hi res and nice speakers?!
Anyone else run into this?
I am concerned that this noise may be doing damage to my tweeter, otherwise I would just live with it.
Thank you!

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
Man, I’m out here on speaker popping island all by myself?!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Haven't had that experience but curious what it might be. What about streaming it to your avr via wifi?

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
That’s funny. I gave up on the Marantz HEOS after a while, and when I use the phone app I only get Bluetooth. Or do you mean connecting my laptop to the receiver over WiFi? I hadn’t even considered that as an available option will need to figure out how to do it if that’s the case!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That’s funny. I gave up on the Marantz HEOS after a while, and when I use the phone app I only get Bluetooth. Or do you mean connecting my laptop to the receiver over WiFi? I hadn’t even considered that as an available option will need to figure out how to do it if that’s the case!
Yeah only way I use my laptop to stream music to my various devices is via wifi. Does Tidal have an available devices thing for wifi?

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
Not that I see, in the settings unfortunately. I found my receiver in available devices on my laptop last night but couldn’t for the life of me figure out how to pull it up as an input on the receiver. Will need to tinker more this weekend I guess.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not that I see, in the settings unfortunately. I found my receiver in available devices on my laptop last night but couldn’t for the life of me figure out how to pull it up as an input on the receiver. Will need to tinker more this weekend I guess.
The Online Music input on your avr might be able to pull from your computer as well, but I prefer to push from the computer to the devices (avrs, bluray players, chromecast audio, etc). Seems the Online Music info starts on page 120 of your manual....

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
So, I was able to figure out how to get airplay working. Unfortunately the same thing is happening. Again, only sometimes and only when skipping to a different song.
So at least the hdmi cord and pc are ruled out as the problem. I’m thinking now it must be an AVR issue. Could it be something like the AVR interrupts then starts the signal to the speaker again and that’s what I’m hearing? In which case shouldn’t it be both speakers and not just the left?

Again it’s a minor nuisance, my only concern is that that ribbon is being damaged.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So, I was able to figure out how to get airplay working. Unfortunately the same thing is happening. Again, only sometimes and only when skipping to a different song.
So at least the hdmi cord and pc are ruled out as the problem. I’m thinking now it must be an AVR issue. Could it be something like the AVR interrupts then starts the signal to the speaker again and that’s what I’m hearing? In which case shouldn’t it be both speakers and not just the left?

Again it’s a minor nuisance, my only concern is that that ribbon is being damaged.
I'd say if the avr was fed the same signal wired and wireless and got the same issue, I'd look at the source....your app or internet service.

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
Great point, well taken. I just submitted a help request to tidal.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
When I connected my PC via HDMI to my OPPO-205 to be able to enjoy multi-channel FLAC in my Foobar Library I noticed popping (actually very short one note dropouts every minute or so. Playing multi-channel movies from iTunes Library via HDMI to OPPO no dropouts. This makes me think my OPPO can not handle the FLAC format. At any rate, when I play iTunes from my PC via Airport Express, skipping around, I too sometimes get a pop. The solution, don't skip around.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When I connected my PC via HDMI to my OPPO-205 to be able to enjoy multi-channel FLAC in my Foobar Library I noticed popping (actually very short one note dropouts every minute or so. Playing multi-channel movies from iTunes Library via HDMI to OPPO no dropouts. This makes me think my OPPO can not handle the FLAC format. At any rate, when I play iTunes from my PC via Airport Express, skipping around, I too sometimes get a pop. The solution, don't skip around.
I stream flac and other files to my Oppo without issue....but I think some streaming services/apps can get hung up with too many requests in a short period of time

C

Cleaneye

Audiophyte
Hi I have the same issue with popping sounds from left speaker when skipping a track on tidal , I wondered if anyone found a solution ? It happens when I stream from the ap on my iPhone se2020 to Sony atmos amp and same happens when using fire cube 2nd gen to amp. I have no issues with Amazon hd so assuming it’s a tidal issue rather than hardware

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
No solution I’m just living with it. My only concern was possible speaker damage but nobody seemed to think it was that much of a concern.
I have been considering dumping Tidal for Amazon HD. I’m wondering for all you out there:
Does Amazon allow you an interface to organize your music? My biggest complaint with Tidal is I can’t even do something as simple as create a “jazz” folder, a “classical” folder, etc and am stuck searching for an album every time I need to find it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I tried Tidal shortly but returned to Spotify before the trial ended, much prefer their interface/capabilities. Tidal doesn't allow playlists or are you looking for something else?

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
Not looking to make a playlist. I’d love a way to organize albums by genre. Or any other subcategory of my choosing.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I don’t like the limitations on them. On Tidal, I just put artists into my collection and just pick from their albums to play.

C

Cleaneye

Audiophyte
Hi did anyone find a solution ? I have the same issue , happens on laptop ap, iPhone and cube 2nd gen. I’ve tried all possible combinations ie speakers, headphones , with Sony amp , via iPhone with headphones , with and without wifi etc . I’ve even tried reinstalling as tidal suggested and it still pops on right speaker when skipping tracks . I’m not getting very far with tidal support !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi did anyone find a solution ? I have the same issue , happens on laptop ap, iPhone and cube 2nd gen. I’ve tried all possible combinations ie speakers, headphones , with Sony amp , via iPhone with headphones , with and without wifi etc . I’ve even tried reinstalling as tidal suggested and it still pops on right speaker when skipping tracks . I’m not getting very far with tidal support !
How about a different streaming service?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis