Thoughts on OLED vs LED.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I have the 65 Sony A8G and so far so good, inky blacks and looking forward to Sunday Football! I did calibrate the TV according to rtings.com and it was a significant performance/quality improvment.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Please tell me if this is incorrect, but I seem to remember that LG went the white OLED route because they -- and everyone else -- couldn't get Blue OLEDs to last more than 15,000 hours.
I believe you are 100% correct Dawn. I also seem to remember (could be wrong ) their other reasoning was they thought the blue oled's would not be beneficial for our eyes. Rather that's true or not I don't know, maybe there's an optometrist who could weigh in on that.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
I have a 77" Sony A9G and used the autocal procedure. It's cinema bliss!

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
I wanted to leave an update here. The 65” 2019 C9 has been in my place for a about week and absolutely love it. No buyers remorse and no dead pixels. The image quality is amazing and I mean amazing. Movies just went to a new level. Incredible how far technology has come in the last fiver years for TVs. Wow! I’m still a little shocked I dropped 1700 on it but it sure will be nice for many years to come. I’m considering this my Christmas present as well lol

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I wanted to leave an update here. The 65” 2019 C9 has been in my place for a about week and absolutely love it. No buyers remorse and no dead pixels. The image quality is amazing and I mean amazing. Movies just went to a new level. Incredible how far technology has come in the last fiver years for TVs. Wow! I’m still a little shocked I dropped 1700 on it but it sure will be nice for many years to come. I’m considering this my Christmas present as well lol
Congrats! I'm dreading when I have to find the equivalent of my Pioneer Elite lol.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Congrats! I'm dreading when I have to find the equivalent of my Pioneer Elite lol.
Same boat trying to replace my Panasonic VT60. It's still alive and should be for many years, but by the time it does die I think we'll have some pretty fantastic options.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I still love my Pioneer plasmas. Going to be a very sad day when I have to replace them.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I am picking up the Sony myself today. My dealer called me. Main reasons is that it gets brighter with HDR content than the LG, and I like Sony's more accurate color IMO. A vast majority of my content is HDR. To be honest though it's not much a different and the LG has better response time and HDMI 2.1, so I completely understand going with the LG.

I really looked at TCL, they by far give the most bang for the buck, but I have read multiple reports on reliablity and non existent customer service, which is why I ruled both them and Vizio out early on.
Yeah LG'S colors are not as accurate as Sony and some of the QLED sets out there.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I ideally still want 75in 4K or larger when I replace my 2016 65in LED 4K HDR10 Samsung KS8000 for it to be worth it. I don’t want to spend more than a budget of $1999 but I’m not upgrading until fall 2021 (when a NHL team for Seattle starts playing), so hoping OLED prices drop a bit in 2 years and the winner of the Dolby Vision and HDR10+ formats is decided by then. :)

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I ideally still want 75in 4K or larger when I replace my 2016 65in LED 4K HDR10 Samsung KS8000 for it to be worth it. I don’t want to spend more than a budget of $1999 but I’m not upgrading until fall 2021 (when a NHL team for Seattle starts playing), so hoping OLED prices drop a bit in 2 years and the winner of the Dolby Vision and HDR10+ formats is decided by then. :)
I wouldn't concern myself with a Dolby Vision v. HDR 10+ format war. Most TV manufacturers support Dolby Vision and all of them support at least HDR 10.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I wouldn't concern myself with a Dolby Vision v. HDR 10+ format war. Most TV manufacturers support Dolby Vision and all of them support at least HDR 10.
Unfortunately we are stick stuck with broadcast limitations. I watch as much live TV as I do anything else and while I don't have complaints, it would be nice to have the standards revisited.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Same boat trying to replace my Panasonic VT60. It's still alive and should be for many years, but by the time it does die I think we'll have some pretty fantastic options.
I'm still rocking my Panasonic VT30 42" that I bought eight years ago, and I'm considering upgrading to a bigger OLED TV this or next year.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Not only that, but you'd have to have a pretty high end TV to tell the difference between HDR10 and Dolby Vision. My Vizio supports both, but visually I can't tell the difference. This is not a top of the line set by any means.

I think Dolby Vision is even higher than BT.2020 when it comes to color. The highest support for that color palette was somewhere in the high 70% so DV having EVEN more color is pointless. Most sets don't even have 100% DCI P3.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
It's going to be quite a while to get to BT 2020. The primaries don't have the necessary color purity as yet......

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It's going to be quite a while to get to BT 2020. The primaries don't have the necessary color purity as yet......
Exactly why the BT.2100 that Dolby Vision supports is pretty much pointless.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Have oled or qled surpassed plasma contrast levels and picture depth in Movies ? My 2015 Sony 4k non hdr Xbr is terrible for movies and dark shoes has might bleed issues ...
That vizio looks amazing .

Reptilians invading in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Have oled or qled surpassed plasma contrast levels and picture depth in Movies ? My 2015 Sony 4k non hdr Xbr is terrible for movies and dark shoes has might bleed issues ...
You've asked this question a million times man. Plasma and OLED are going to have the blackest blacks you can get. If you want great blacks and can't afford a new OLED, go get that plasma you saw for $40, that's a steal.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
You've asked this question a million times man. Plasma and OLED are going to have the blackest blacks you can get. If you want great blacks and can't afford a new OLED, go get that plasma you saw for $40, that's a steal.
So oled I hear is more succeptible to burn in then plasma or no ?
I did get that tv but I have not set up a spot for it . It’s sitting behind my led 55” couldn’t find any better spot to hide it .
It will end up my movie tv at some point I need to try and bring my 55” downstairs for tv . At & t sucks but it’s better then my 40”

Reptilians invading in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis