Thoughts on OLED vs LED.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
Guys does anyone know if Sony A8G supports eARC via firmware update?

I can't seem to find any reliable inform online.

I'm tempted to go for 65" A8G instead of 55" A9G for the same money, but only with eARC.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
I have the 65 Sony A8G and so far so good, inky blacks and looking forward to Sunday Football! I did calibrate the TV according to rtings.com and it was a significant performance/quality improvment.
Do you maybe know the answer to the question I posted?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Guys does anyone know if Sony A8G supports eARC via firmware update?

I can't seem to find any reliable inform online.

I'm tempted to go for 65" A8G instead of 55" A9G for the same money, but only with eARC.
Why bother with ARC ? There have been so many problems reported with it (Look for posts down the listing):

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
Why bother with ARC ? There have been so many problems reported with it (Look for posts down the listing):

How to get lossless audio from a TV source (android box, any app if it supports) if not via eARC? I know that apps do not support lossless audio at the moment but it must be on the horizon. It's good to be future proof.

For example, Amazon fire TV cube gen2 when connected via HDMI to avr and than to TV, sends back to the avr just 5.1, no Atmos. You must connect the box to the TV dorectly and only then you will get atmos back to the avr by eARC.

No solution in this thread you referred me to.

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
How to get lossless audio from a TV source (android box, any app if it supports) if not via eARC?

I'll check out this thread, tnx.
Plug the source directly into your receiver. That's the best way to get the lossless formats to it and eliminates the issues many have with arc/earc

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
Plug the source directly into your receiver. That's the best way to get the lossless formats to it and eliminates the issues many have with arc/earc
Well I watched home theater hobyst video on Amazon fire tv cube gen2 and got disappointed.

I edited my previous post, check it out.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
Why do you want lossless audio directly from the TV anyway, when you can get it via other more reliable means.
When in a year or so lossless audio comes to onboard TV streaming apps (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc) I would like to have a TV which can send it down to avr via eARC.

If I'm making some rookie mistake here please correct me.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
I mean, this could be a problem only with Amazon Fire TV Cube gen 2. If I didn't watch the review video of the HomeTheaterHobbyst I wouldn't know.

It would be great to know if Nvidia Shield has this problem or not. Many reviewers don't check these things (they are not audiophiles :))

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
I don't want to go too much off-road with connecting options.

I just decided I will by a TV which lacks HDMI 2.1 but must have eARC feature. I would appreciate if Sony A8G lucky owners or anybody else knows if this model supports it.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
Why do you want lossless audio directly from the TV anyway, when you can get it via other more reliable means.
I'm not sure if I'll buy any Blu-ray player soon, I will watch most of the content from the onboard apps or my movie packed HDD for now.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I mean, this could be a problem only with Amazon Fire TV Cube gen 2. If I didn't watch the review video of the HomeTheaterHobbyst I wouldn't know.

It would be great to know if Nvidia Shield has this problem or not. Many reviewers don't check these things (they are not audiophiles :))
Reading your edit in the other post, that sounds like an issue with how things were setup. My guess would be that the cube 2 was setup for 5.1 and the tv was upconverting and adding the "atmos" part when it sent the signal back to the AVR. There is no reason for it to send a different signal to the AVR than the TV.

I have a shield TV, but can't comment on atmos capability as I only have a 5.1 setup.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
Reading your edit in the other post, that sounds like an issue with how things were setup. My guess would be that the cube 2 was setup for 5.1 and the tv was upconverting and adding the "atmos" part when it sent the signal back to the AVR. There is no reason for it to send a different signal to the AVR than the TV.

I have a shield TV, but can't comment on atmos capability as I only have a 5.1 setup.
Thanks. Not sure how the reviewer made that mistake, he seems like knowledgeable guy when it comes to AV.

I'm bummed for this. I'm into Sony but they made a mess with lack of updates.

It would be nice to have 65" over 55" but some compromises would have to be made... I hate this.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Honestly, I'd get the TV you want and not worry about Earc/arc. They've always been too unreliable. Instead I'd focus on finding a streamer that does what you want in terms of sound. The latest Shield TV's are touted as supporting Atmos on netflix, amazon prime, vudu, and others and I have no reason to doubt that they would when setup properly.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

What problem with Fire TV Cube 2? Its only capable of 16bit 48 khz max.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I'm not sure if I'll buy any Blu-ray player soon, I will watch most of the content from the onboard apps or my movie packed HDD for now.
The onboard apps are not the best way because TV manufacturers tend to not support them as time goes on.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Honestly, I'd get the TV you want and not worry about Earc/arc. They've always been too unreliable. Instead I'd focus on finding a streamer that does what you want in terms of sound. The latest Shield TV's are touted as supporting Atmos on netflix, amazon prime, vudu, and others and I have no reason to doubt that they would when setup properly.
The FireTV Cube 2 supports Atmos on Netflix as well.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
How to get lossless audio from a TV source (android box, any app if it supports) if not via eARC? I know that apps do not support lossless audio at the moment but it must be on the horizon. It's good to be future proof.

For example, Amazon fire TV cube gen2 when connected via HDMI to avr and than to TV, sends back to the avr just 5.1, no Atmos. You must connect the box to the TV dorectly and only then you will get atmos back to the avr by eARC.

No solution in this thread you referred me to.
That should not be happening. Try another HDMI cable to your AVR.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis