Thoughts on OLED vs LED.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
The onboard apps are not the best way because TV manufacturers tend to not support them as time goes on.
I know, but for a man who moves home frequently I can't afford to have to much gear. I am looking into a TV which will be future proof.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
That should not be happening. Try another HDMI cable to your AVR.
I wrote that reviewer who is experienced in AV told in his video that he couldn't pass atmos when he connected fire tv cube >avr>tv.

I don't have it and can't try it. I was just exploring the options of getting a cube or shield and watched some reviews.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I know, but for a man who moves home frequently I can't afford to have to much gear. I am looking into a TV which will be future proof.
Whatever you do never believe in future proof TV's or any consumer electronics. If anything planned obsolescence is more likely. For Dolby Atmos on Netflix both will work.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
Whatever you do never believe in future proof TV's or any consumer electronics. If anything planned obsolescence is more likely. For Dolby Atmos on Netflix both will work.
Tnx, I'll probably go for a larger older model.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Guys does anyone know if Sony A8G supports eARC via firmware update?

I can't seem to find any reliable inform online.

I'm tempted to go for 65" A8G instead of 55" A9G for the same money, but only with eARC.
No eArc for A8G

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Shield TV supports lossless audio including Atmos and DTS X no problem, but the Amazon app and every other streaming app don't offer lossless audio.

Amazon products may say they support Atmos, but in reality they support Atmos encoded in a Dolby Digital + stream as opposed to a "real" Atmos track that is in a Dolby TrueHD stream. This is true of the streaming services that support Atmos as well, It's all lossy.

So, unless you have BD rips with losless audio tracks on them, then a TV with eARC isn't going to do much for you.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Just throwing out another option!
Budget recommendation today to hold you while the larger OLED/QLED you really want drops in price!
The more TV's I own the more the differences are so little at a normal distance. I use Tidal on the screen for hours and wouldn't want to deal with Burn-in. I have a 7 year old 55" Samsung that doesn't look that much different for casual viewing than my new 65" QLED. When I buy another TV, weight and energy use are going to be the driving factors for me. I really don't want a TV that weighs over 65 pounds.

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
Shield TV supports lossless audio including Atmos and DTS X no problem, but the Amazon app and every other streaming app don't offer lossless audio.

Amazon products may say they support Atmos, but in reality they support Atmos encoded in a Dolby Digital + stream as opposed to a "real" Atmos track that is in a Dolby TrueHD stream. This is true of the streaming services that support Atmos as well, It's all lossy.

So, unless you have BD rips with losless audio tracks on them, then a TV with eARC isn't going to do much for you.
Thanks for your input. I know that, I was asking because I have a full HDD with 4k lossless audio movies that I'll plug in the TV. Until I buy Shield or Amazon Cube I will need that eARC to send lossless to avr.

So Shield is the real way to go then? I really like Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd gen but we'll se on the horizon. TV first.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for your input. I know that, I was asking because I have a full HDD with 4k lossless audio movies that I'll plug in the TV. Until I buy Shield or Amazon Cube I will need that eARC to send lossless to avr.

So Shield is the real way to go then? I really like Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd gen but we'll se on the horizon. TV first.
I had a fire stick for a few weeks. Not a fan of their interface at all or the fact that they transcode the audio to lossy.

If it weren't for those things I'd have kept it.

The Shield TV is the only device I use for movies, tv, music, etc.

P

Paul Mohr

Audioholic Intern
I see the OP already got his new tv, too bad it was such an ordeal for him though. However I will give my 2 cents anyway incase someone else might be interested. I recently just did the same thing. I replaced my older ( not that old really) Sharp LED tv with a LG C9 OLED tv. Both were 55 inches. I toyed with the idea of getting a 65 inch tv this time around but the deal on the C9 was too good pass up. Best Buy had an open box model for 900 dollars. Basically brand new, never been plugged in and all the stickers and protective stuff were still on it. It just didn't have a box and it was missing some little hardware (a couple screws) I didn't need anyway. Someone got it and it didn't fit on their table or stand or whatever and brought it back.

I won't lie, I was a bit worried about burn in issues but not too much. I am older and in the past I have owned CRT's, large screen projection tv's and a plasma tv. All of which are prone to this and I never ruined any of them. This does double as my comptuer monitor though so there is a little worry in the back of my mind.

This tv looks fantastic, period. I went from a samsung 720p plasma years ago to a panasonic 1080 LCD, then to a Sharp 4K LED/lcd. I never liked the contrast, lack of true black or trying to set them up comapred to my plasma. Off axis viewing was odd too. You had to mount them at the right height and if you stood up or walked around the room the picture would change. The C9 Oled has none of these issues. Off axis viewing is excellent, the blacks are amazing and the contrast and brightness were a breeze to adjust. And it holds them perfectly, even if the light in the room changes. I have seen people say they are not as bright as LED tv's but how bright does it need to be? This thing gets BRIGHT, like hurt your eyes bright. Are people watching tv with a spotlight shinning at it or something? I turned the oled light/backlight setting down to 45 and it is still plenty bright and whites still look white.

And whoever designed and programmed the processing chip in this thing did a great job. The upscaling is fantastic and all the other features work incredibly well too. Normally on tv's when you turn on some of these features like noise reduction and stuff like that they don't work well. I normally leave all that stuff off. I tested them on this tv and they actually work without making it look wrong or bad. Even the true motion looks good and its adjustable. You can take older grainy tv shows on netflix and make them look like they were made a week ago. Never been a fan of these modes or options on a tv, but then I have never seen a tv where they actually worked right. Then again I have never owned a top of the line tv model either so maybe some of them did it well.

And like I said the upscaling is great. I run my desktop in 1080p, even though I have a 4k tv. With my sharp it looked ok but text and sharp lines were a bit soft in 1080p. If you switched it to 4K resolution they were nice and sharp, but menus and stuff were too small to read in some programs. And honestly you got usesd to the softness pretty quick and didn't notice it. With C9 Oled even in 1080p everything is sharp and crisp. I will be honest and admit though you can only tell with text or test patterns. With video both tvs looked really good and you coudln't tell.

The only issues I have with my C9 are the power cord was too short, and it is hard wired so you can't swap it out for a longer one. And it doesn't work well as a computer monitor. It doesn't play nice with web pages. It has an auto dimming feature where it dims with static images to prevent burn in. With web pages it goes from dark to bright back to dark again as you scroll on the page or type. It is annoying to say the least. Trying to see if there is sway to shut that feature off now. I have a post about it here and I called LG and a technician is supposed to call me back. We will see how that goes.

All of that being said, and yes I know I type a lot, most modern LED tv's are great. I think the average person that just wants to watch tv and movies would be more than happy with a TCL 6 series or something and wouldn't know the difference between a 600 dollar tv and 2,000 dollar tv. But if you are someone that cares and worry about tests and stuff like that then the OLED tv's win. They do look better. Worth the extra money better? That is up to you. I know I wouldn't have spent 2K on this tv. If hadn't have found a deal I would be rocking a new 65 inch LED tv that had good reviews.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis