Thoughts on OLED vs LED.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
If you have a Microcenter by you, you can get the B9 for $1699.00.

I purchased the 65 B8 from Dell, never opened it up and returned it. I was going to get the 65 B9, but held off as I really started to like the Samsung Q80 75". I have now been going through a vicious circle of deciding.
  1. Sony A8G, my dealer can get me $250 below Best Buy's price and I felt the most accurate color of the three
  2. LG B9 (rtings.com #1 choice) - Has HDMI 2.1 and supports eARC
  3. Go big with the Q80R @ 75in.
Black Friday has made all of these sets reasonable. The black levels on the Samsung are quite good with surprising of angle viewing for a VN panel.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
If you have a Microcenter by you, you can get the B9 for $1699.00.

I purchased the 65 B8 from Dell, never opened it up and returned it. I was going to get the 65 B9, but held off as I really started to like the Samsung Q80 75". I have now been going through a vicious circle of deciding.
  1. Sony A8G, my dealer can get me $250 below Best Buy's price and I felt the most accurate color of the three
  2. LG B9 (rtings.com #1 choice) - Has HDMI 2.1 and supports eARC
  3. Go big with the Q80R @ 75in.
Black Friday has made all of these sets reasonable. The black levels on the Samsung are quite good with surprising of angle viewing for a VN panel.
We'll see what goes on sale this weekend but for me my current pick is:
Second, is the Sony A8G
I want to buy from buy dig to avoid the sales tax. I got a feeling I'll be able to nag this TV for $1599 but lets see. Keep me posted with what you decide.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
We'll see what goes on sale this weekend but for me my current pick is:
Second, is the Sony A8G
I want to buy from buy dig to avoid the sales tax. I got a feeling I'll be able to nag this TV for $1599 but lets see. Keep me posted with what you decide.
As much as you like BuyDig and the fact they are an authorized reseller, makes it a safe choice. If I buy Sony I will pay sales tax to buy from my dealer. He has gone above an beyond what any online reseller or brick and morter will do. A few years ago I had a Sony 65XBR 850C go bad well after 90 days and he got me a 850D at no cost from Sony. It's why all my TV's have been Sony :) (That and they are great TVs). If the 950G was as good as the Samsung Q80R I would choose the Sony every time, but the black levels are better and the blooming is less on the Samsung.

If the Q80R 75 goes down to 2k, its 2249 now I will choose that one, otherwise I am probably going to stick with the Sony A8G, its still uses an LG panel, and I am not as worried that it be future proof on the HDMI.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
If you don't go with the OLED, before going with the Samsung. You really owe it to yourself to check out TCL new 8 series mini LED. You may even decide to go with it over the OLED, it's that awesome.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
If you don't go with the OLED, before going with the Samsung. You really owe it to yourself to check out TCL new 8 series mini LED. You may even decide to go with it over the OLED, it's that awesome.
I am picking up the Sony myself today. My dealer called me. Main reasons is that it gets brighter with HDR content than the LG, and I like Sony's more accurate color IMO. A vast majority of my content is HDR. To be honest though it's not much a different and the LG has better response time and HDMI 2.1, so I completely understand going with the LG.

I really looked at TCL, they by far give the most bang for the buck, but I have read multiple reports on reliablity and non existent customer service, which is why I ruled both them and Vizio out early on.

Last edited:
Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
I am picking up the Sony myself today. My dealer called me. Main reasons is that it gets brighter with HDR content than the LG, and I like Sony's more accurate color IMO. A vast majority of my content is HDR. To be honest though it's not much a different and the LG has better refresh rate and HDMI 2.1, so I completely understand going with the LG.

I really looked at TCL, they by far give the most bang for the buck, but I have read multiple reports on reliablity and non existent customer service, which is why I ruled both them and Vizio out early on.
Totally understand, and Sony is a great choice. As far as the TCL thing goes, I may not be a big fan of all their tv's, but the 8 series is a game changer. if you have a couple minutes, check this out.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Totally understand, and Sony is a great choice. As far as the TCL thing goes, I may not be a big fan of all their tv's, but the 8 series is a game changer. if you have a couple minutes, check this out.
Wow mini led ?
What difference is hdr ? My Sony was a con job 2015 non hdr tv .

I may be done with Sony I don’t support companies who R.I.P. off customers especially 2015 non hdr trash can model .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Looks like a nice TV and I will go check it out. The only thing from that review the bothered me a little bit was he said the blacks were not the same as the OLED TVs. After having an OLED in my house for one week I think it’s going to be very hard for me to switch back. I was really really impressed by the TV but so bummed out about the dead pixels.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Looks like a nice TV and I will go check it out. The only thing from that review the bothered me a little bit was he said the blacks were not the same as the OLED TVs. After having an OLED in my house for one week I think it’s going to be very hard for me to switch back. I was really really impressed by the TV but so bummed out about the dead pixels.
Don't blame you a bit, if I had a single pixel not working on a new tv I wouldn't keep it. Especially after spending a nice chunk of change for it. As far as the blacks for the TCL 8 series goes, remember he is testing and viewing up against the screen. Users are stating and so he is he ( if I recall on another video ) that from a normal viewing distance, the black levels were indistinguishable from an OLED. But the mini Led had the advantage when it came down to brightness levels.
This year really has upped the anti on tv's making it harder to choose. Good luck.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So I actually went to Sam's and bought this 65" Quantum-X on Saturday. About 5 minuets I got it set up and started watching a 4k movie; I was very displeased with the TV. There was a ton of banding going on around the text and the blacks were no where close to the OLED. I was very disappointed considering that this is their flagship model. I took it back to Sam's that evening and returned it. Pretty bummed out about this TV, considering all the great reviews out there. Going to get a 65" OLED this weekend. Just gonna bit the bullet and spend the big bucks so I don't have any buyers remorse. Hopefully the third TV is the charm.
If you didn't calibrate the TV then that's going to be a big reason you didn't like the results. That and using streaming as a source. Streaming is heavily compressed for obvious reasons so banding and things like that are MUCH more noticeable.

Out of the box pretty much every TV I've ever purchased looks horrible so don't let that sway you. Not only that, store demos are also on the brightest most vivid picture mode there is so they don't tell you much.

Having said that, any company that doesn't produce their own panels or is in partnership to have their panels made will purchase panels from different manufacturers. That means that two supposedly identical TVs can look different, but I haven't personally dealt with this. I've only purchased one Vizio and am happy, but it's also a cheap one so if it's not perfect I'm not going to be upset. However, if I were looking for a TV that I'd consider my main TV, it would have to be high end and probably OLED.

I can't stand Samsung's software on their TVs so I wouldn't purchase one, but that's just me. Plus, I haven't ever seen an LCD that wowed me picture wise. That technology just has too many down sides.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
If you didn't calibrate the TV then that's going to be a big reason you didn't like the results. That and using streaming as a source. Streaming is heavily compressed for obvious reasons so banding and things like that are MUCH more noticeable.
I used a 4k disk and I copied the setting this guy used here:

But I did not hire a professional color calibrator. Nor will never do this unless I had an endless supply of cash.
However, if I were looking for a TV that I'd consider my main TV, it would have to be high end and probably OLED.
Agreed. The 2018 E9 looked great strait out of the box with the "Technicolor" mode. It's incredible how far TV technology has come over the last five years.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I used a 4k disk and I copied the setting this guy used here:

But I did not hire a professional color calibrator. Nor will never do this unless I had an endless supply of cash.

Agreed. The 2018 E9 looked great strait out of the box with the "Technicolor" mode. It's incredible how far TV technology has come over the last five years.
Yeah, if you did that and it still looked that bad I'd have done the same and returned.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
I imagine LG is in panic mode now that Sharp announced it's new technology RGB OLED panels. Cant wait.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I imagine LG is in panic mode now that Sharp announced it's new technology RGB OLED panels. Cant wait.
I doubt LG is in panic.

But, good to see a competitor may be on the rise. A real competitor would help drive down prices and consumer wins in the end.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Agreed. Samsung will also be getting into the picture with their hybrid OLED technology.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
I doubt LG is in panic.

But, good to see a competitor may be on the rise. A real competitor would help drive down prices and consumer wins in the end.
We will see, they have the oled market now, and it's a great product. but it can not compete with RGB OLED. Current oled still has to use a color filter.
Agreed. Samsung will also be getting into the picture with their hybrid OLED technology.
If your talking about their QD-OLED, it will somewhat compete with current oled. But even quantum dot oled ( which uses a blue led instead of the white led I believe ) will still use a color filter. Therefore making it inferior to RGB OLED.
But since they will starting small, im sure it will be a few years down the road before they make the large panels affordable to the mass market.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Just pulled the trigger on a 65" 2019 C9 for ~1750 via Buy DIg. It was the best deal I could find so far on these TVs. No buyers remorse now.

See here if interested:

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
We will see, they have the oled market now, and it's a great product. but it can not compete with RGB OLED. Current oled still has to use a color filter.

If your talking about their QD-OLED, it will somewhat compete with current oled. But even quantum dot oled ( which uses a blue led instead of the white led I believe ) will still use a color filter. Therefore making it inferior to RGB OLED.
But since they will starting small, im sure it will be a few years down the road before they make the large panels affordable to the mass market.
Please tell me if this is incorrect, but I seem to remember that LG went the white OLED route because they -- and everyone else -- couldn't get Blue OLEDs to last more than 15,000 hours.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I highly doubt that. Sharp seem to introduce product and then abandon it. They area announcing a 30" roll up TV. I would not buy a Sharp screen as they are very much "here today and gone tomorrow" outfit.

I have just purchased a 77" LG OLED. The picture is stunning and does best my two Panny plasmas but not by a massive margin. Picture clarity is stunning and has a kind of 3D effect. These TVs are far better than any LED TV I have seen. I really don't like LED TVs at all.

I have not had a chance to view my TV much, as I'm still building out the AV room. I'm glad to report it is now very nearly complete.

My eldest son bought the 2108 65" LG OLED. He has had a red stuck pixel with attempted repair under warranty, but the replacement part was faulty and so he is still awaiting proper repair.

I hope this technology is reliable. Time will tell.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis