Thoughts on OLED vs LED.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Just purchased the OLED E8. I’ll take my chances with the burn in. It should be quite the upgrade!

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I'll throw my hat in the ring. Yes, OLED quality is supreme, BUT only LG makes large OLED panels. Sony and others buy LG panels. I have an existing deep distrust in LG long term quality which comes from a very alarming 3 out of 4 LG devices I've own failed way before I'd consider device expiration date.

My advice, especially at 65" (bigger is better) is to take a very good look at Vizio Quantum-X displays.
They are 98% quality of OLED at a significant discount. they are also brighter and result work better in very bright rooms
Wow vizio are that good ?? Sounds impressive for anyone with a low budget. Or need a tv for a bright room .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
deadpixels.jpg

The e8 TV is awesome. However there's some dead pixels around the top of the screen. It looks like a very small bug landed on the screen. I tried, running the TVs screen cleaning but no luck fixing the problem. Did some research online and looks like you can't fix dead pixels. Anybody else had this problem with the lg OLEDs? It's not a huge deal but for almost twelve hundred bucks I kind of expect perfection. I might try to send back I can can't get this resolved.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
View attachment 32277
The e8 TV is awesome. However there's some dead pixels around the top of the screen. It looks like a very small bug landed on the screen. I tried, running the TVs screen cleaning but no luck fixing the problem. Did some research online and looks like you can't fix dead pixels. Anybody else had this problem with the lg OLEDs? It's not a huge deal but for almost twelve hundred bucks I kind of expect perfection. I might try to send back I can can't get this resolved.
I haven't noticed any dead pixels on my C8, (and I'm not planning to go looking for them, once you see it, you can't unsee it!).

Unfortunately, LG says that "a few dead pixels are normal and expected". Which is horse shite, but in all honesty is likely true at this point in the technology life cycle and panel size.

Last edited:
CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Which is horse shite
For a tv with an MSRP of over 2000 bucks I agree completely. However, I watchedsome of the movie Ex Machina last night in 4K and was blow away. The black levels are incredible. I think my HT system is complete for may years to come. My system is not exactly aesthetically pleasing but now looks and sounds like a small movie theater. But ya not not happy about dead pixels!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
What sucks is they are all in a cluster. If you had 5 dead pixels in random locations you would hardly ever notice without doing an inspection.
I remember some of the earlier flat screen monitors had specifications that allowed a certain number of dead pixels, but they also had a stipulation along the lines of no more than 2 within a square inch (or something like that - it's been awhile and I am sketchy on the specifics).
I would see about a return.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I had stuck pixels on my laptop screen and when I ran some program that I can't remember the name for anymore they were revived. It ran different color patterns trough the screen and after like 5-10 mins the pixels started to work normal. If the are really dead pixels there is nothing you can do.

What I see from picture there is at least 13 dead pixels I think? That amount is not acceptable and you should get your TV replaced. Like said if ot was 2-4 random pixels around the screen it could be ok, but on one spot it is really noticeable.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Good news, BuyDig will take back the TV and refund my credit card. It will also give to the promo code to re-order the oled TV at the same price if I choose to do so. Now I'm debating whether to re-order the same oled 55" with the hope of no dead pixels or go for the qled 65" inch. Time to go to best buy again lol.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Good news, BuyDig will take back the TV and refund my credit card. It will also give to the promo code to re-order the oled TV at the same price if I choose to do so. Now I'm debating whether to re-order the same oled 55" with the hope of no dead pixels or go for the qled 65" inch. Time to go to best buy again lol.
More less depends on if it’s a dark or bright room but qled is really just led with different filters right ? And it’s only edge lit

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would get the 65" OLED. ;) Dead pixels can happen with the QLED panels as well.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I would get the 65" OLED. ;) Dead pixels can happen with the QLED panels as well.
I’m still kind of skeptical does qled have wider zombie color gamut then normal uhd screens of top of the line like Dolby vision and stuff ??

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I’m still kind of skeptical does qled have wider zombie color gamut then normal uhd screens of top of the line like Dolby vision and stuff ??

I highly doubt you could melt pennies or make lava with it...

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
More less depends on if it’s a dark or bright room but qled is really just led with different filters right ? And it’s only edge lit

I'm pretty sure the Samsung Q90 QLED is backlit.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I'll throw my hat in the ring. Yes, OLED quality is supreme, BUT only LG makes large OLED panels. Sony and others buy LG panels. I have an existing deep distrust in LG long term quality which comes from a very alarming 3 out of 4 LG devices I've own failed way before I'd consider device expiration date.

My advice, especially at 65" (bigger is better) is to take a very good look at Vizio Quantum-X displays.
They are 98% quality of OLED at a significant discount. they are also brighter and result work better in very bright rooms
Costco has the PX75-G1 on sale for $1600 through 2 December.

Buy with Costco Citi credit card to double warranty to four years. 3 year squaretrade Costco warranty available for another $99 for a total of 7 years warranty :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Plus 2% back with Costco credit card and if you have Costco executive ($120/year) another 2% back.
Last year I got about $400 back each.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Costco has the PX75-G1 on sale for $1600 through 2 December.

Buy with Costco Citi credit card to double warranty to four years. 3 year squaretrade Costco warranty available for another $99 for a total of 7 years warranty :)

Spectacular looking tv !! Vizio sure looks good now . A top brand ehh
Congratulations amazing price I’ve never bought a warranty on a. Tv because my models were not worth it and didn’t have enough cash for warranty on Sony .
Warranty definitely worth it on my next purchase ehh ???
Amazing tv , I got conned so bad in 2015 now I could get a 75” tv much higher end for under 2 grand ...
I got a 55” it’s way way smaller tiny vs 75”

I don’t know why no Costco were I live nearest one is well over 100 miles from canton .
Do qled have more colors ? Then oled
Does Craigslist ship how do you get that special extended warranty?

Last edited:
CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
source:
So I actually went to Sam's and bought this 65" Quantum-X on Saturday. About 5 minuets I got it set up and started watching a 4k movie; I was very displeased with the TV. There was a ton of banding going on around the text and the blacks were no where close to the OLED. I was very disappointed considering that this is their flagship model. I took it back to Sam's that evening and returned it. Pretty bummed out about this TV, considering all the great reviews out there. Going to get a 65" OLED this weekend. Just gonna bit the bullet and spend the big bucks so I don't have any buyers remorse. Hopefully the third TV is the charm.

Last edited:
Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Sorry to hear the luck your having. Unfortunately it seems like anymore with the panels it's a crap shoot. My nephew says vizio is worst, it's nothing but returns all the time.
Bad thing about the stores doing their tv displays, it's a horrible way to judge the tv with all the dam lights they have on. And most people find out when they get home in a normal environment, the tv chosen doesn't look nearly as good. But OLED if you get a good panel is still king on the block.
However TCL's new 8 series micro led tv is pretty dam close. The blacks are almost perfect and you get the benefit of led brightness. You should really check it out, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis