this newbie needs help! audiophile friends needed lol my first post...

B

Bassape

Audiophyte
Hey thanks for accepting me into the audiophile community. I am 51yo and in the last couple years became disabled and my hobby in the distant past was car audio. i am very interested in getting into the home audio way of doing things now and ive noticed things have changed a little bit to say the least. i used to rock a sanyo 100wpc rack syster when i was 19 the floor speakers were big bulky and heavy but the 12" woofers had great bass and i thought that was everything, boy was i mistaking lol i in the last couple years have bought a stereo amplifier a/v pioneer sa1280 thats got the am/fm digital tuner tx-1080z. i bought a pair of sony towers ss-mf550h and i actually like the sound with those. i realized that didnt have a subwoofer output on it so i ended up buying a kenwood am/fm stereo reciever kr-a5030 with a dual cass that doesnt work kx-w4030 needless to say it doesnt have a sub out either. i ended up getting a great deal on 2 mismatching subwoofers one is the older jbl psw1000 and it has the speaker level inputs and outputs. i love it really the other was a pioneer sw-8mk2 that i also like alot. i recently found me a sony str dh550 5.2 and i like it quiet abit cause i can easily run either sub or both with it. my first 2 avr recievers have a and b speaker buttons but neither will run a and b. sorry this has been a long rant but i figuredv id lay out what i have and see what i need to purchase and get rid of. i a week ago bought another set of towers excellent condition with a center channel for 100bucks they are the infinity primus 360 and the primus c25 center. i also have a pair of BIC america dv62s and a pair of polk audio t20es a pair of infinity reference 2000.2 bookshelf speakers and a pair of yamaha a636s so i have all this out of the way sorry again but i need help putting together a good sounding system and im a bass head i like rap rock jazz blues and never use any of these to watch movies so i want a mostly good music system. i had a birthday on the 11th and i received a mini amp by suca audio its the pro98e 160x2 @ 4ohms and it came with a powersupply cord and brick 24v 4.74amps i am amazed that it sounds better than the other recievers ive mentioned. please someone look at my junk ive listed and please tell me what i can use from them... also i dont understand my andrew jones pioneer 8" sub only has speaker level inputs and i have nothing that will play a and b so i use it lfe with the str dh550 sony but thank you all for reading my rambling junk lol please help me!!! bassape in east tennessee

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
@Bassape Welcome to the Forum. You said you are "a bass head i like rap rock jazz blues and never use any of these to watch movies so i want a mostly good music system."

Let's start with what you want this system to do, and where it will be located with dimensions, layout of speakers and seats. How big is the room ? LxWxH?

Are you going to connect this to a TV or Projector? Will your sources be NAS, Blu-Rays, DVDs, CDs, Streaming, FLAC Files, Mp3s, Vinyl, FM radio or ?

So far you have a lot of older gear and I think you have enough to cobble together a 5.2 system using the Sony STR-DH550 as it's heart. I'd star with using the Infinity Primus 360s for your Front Left & Right Speakers; and the Primus c25 center. For now use the Infinity Reference 2000.2 bookshelf speakers for the Left & Right Surrounds, although it may be easier to put the Sony ss-mf550h towers there to begin with, as they won't need stands.

I'd connect the Pioneer sw-8mk2 Sub via an RCA cable from it's left input to the Sony STR-DH550. You will need a Y splitter to connect the JBL PSW1000 Sub to the other Sub output on the Sony STR-DH550.

Let's see what you existing gear can do for you before looking to buy anything else.

I hope this is helpful.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis