This dude makes good points in totally trashing Dolby Atmos...

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
My experience is the same as Gene's. Auro D is basically multichannel stereo. Both he and I can cut out amps without unplugging anything, so we can tell what these upmixer really do. The Dolby DD up mixer is the only one that actually does what it says on the tin.
Whatever it is it sounds AWESOME! on the HTP-1 thread at AVS we have a lot us owners that love that upmixer. Also on the Marantz AV-10 thread as well.

I do love the Dolby upmixer as well for both music and movies.

For music I switch between Auro and Dolby just depends on my mood

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Honestly it's not as complex as one thinks or expensive to do a decent Atmos system. You don't even have to use in ceiling speakers on wall speakers can be used instead fitted to the ceiling

A company like RSL or Monolith from Monoprice you can get a really decent setup for not much at all
I guess if you are satisfied with a relatively crude installation. I think my wife would nix box speakers on the ceiling in any room. That would be a bridge too far.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Except it’s NOT more user friendly to install, so I won’t agree. He won’t respond to my post #86, but if you use the “height” locations it’s basically the same…..
Completely agree with everything else. I also installed my ceiling speakers in insane temperatures, and it was a PITA. But so are other things in life. So if you want something, pull up your boot straps and get it done. If you don’t, then you can sit on an Internet forum and piss and moan because you’re Fukkin lazy.
Maybe the ol curmudgeon will stay in his cave for a while now.
I think he means that height speakers can be installed in cases where you don't have access to the attic.

But yeah, to me, height speakers can be just as difficult or even more difficult in some cases than in-ceiling - minus the 110F attic temp in the summer. :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think he means that height speakers can be installed in cases where you don't have access to the attic.

But yeah, to me, height speakers can be just as difficult or even more difficult in some cases than in-ceiling - minus the 110F attic temp in the summer. :D
Exactly. Every install is different.
I think he meant it as an either, or. Meaning for Atmos it has to be in ceiling. Vs Auro that doesn’t. Reality is heights work for either one.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Exactly. Every install is different.
I think he meant it as an either, or. Meaning for Atmos it has to be in ceiling. Vs Auro that doesn’t. Reality is heights work for either one.
I don't think he has the Auro3D set up either.

So he doesn't have anything beyond the basic 5.1, but just wants to sound like a sour grape even 12 years after ATMOS was released.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I don't think he has the Auro3D set up either.

So he doesn't have anything beyond the basic 5.1, but just wants to sound like a sour grape even 12 years after ATMOS was released.
Yes. I think that’s it. Everything is the devil!
Just take your ball and go home already!!!!!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

My four ceiling speakers are in .25 cu.ft. boxes, below 14" of blown insulation. Those are the calculated optimal sealed boxes for the speakers. Speaker wire is in steel conduit back to the equipment chase.

Terminal blocks for 2 rear Atmos ceiling speakers, surrounds and bi-amped rear backs.

Conduit.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My four ceiling speakers are in .25 cu.ft. boxes, below 14" of blown insulation.
My attic has 6” of SOLID FOAM plus the 14” blown insulation on top of that sold foam.

So it was a PITA getting through all that in 110F degrees.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My attic has 6” of SOLID FOAM plus the 14” blown insulation on top of that sold foam.

So it was a PITA getting through all that in 110F degrees.
Being in attics when it's that hot sucks so much. I don't miss that.

That reminds me that I need to put boxes on my ceiling speakers in the living room. I got work to do.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Being in attics when it's that hot sucks so much. I don't miss that.

That reminds me that I need to put boxes on my ceiling speakers in the living room. I got work to do.
I never measured the temp, but it sure felt like it. :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I never measured the temp, but it sure felt like it. :D
I didn’t either but in my truss space it was stifling to say the least. Not to mention dealing with blow in insulation that you’ve stirred up! Mmmmm.
I’d do it again tomorrow!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I didn’t either but in my truss space it was stifling to say the least. Not to mention dealing with blow in insulation that you’ve stirred up! Mmmmm.
I’d do it again tomorrow!
I’ve never sweated so much in my life. I was swearing up and down it was the last time I’d do it. :D

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
The benefits of basement home theater. When I had my house built in 2017 I left 1/2 my basement unfinished and it was a 10k option to have the builder dig and extra 2 feet for 9ft ceilings, so was much easier to install height speakers and cables. When I say install, I mean I had someone else do it ;)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I guess if you are satisfied with a relatively crude installation. I think my wife would nix box speakers on the ceiling in any room. That would be a bridge too far.
It's not that hard to do a decent install that isn't crude. And I'm talking about slanted speakers like the elevations that have the proper angle already built in and then can also be put on the ceiling aimed DIRECTLY at the primary listening position while having the best angle for optimal coverage of other seats

Most in ceiling speakers including coaxials will have issues being off axis to the listening position.

If I had to do it over again that's how I would do it even in my media room. Just run the cable through the attic WAY less painfull then installing in ceiling speakers then mounting the right type of on wall speakers on the ceiling. Looks clean and gives you way better sound

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I’ve never sweated so much in my life. I was swearing up and down it was the last time I’d do it. :D
Been there. It's horrible. I get to do it again, but the weather is nice, so I got that going for me. Which is nice.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
All you have to say is that you think Auro3D is more "user setup/install friendly" than Atmos.

Many people would agree with you. All nice and peaceful about it.

Instead, you use unnecessary strong derogatory words like "RIDICULOUS" and other bitter words to describe ATMOS, which makes you sound like a total sour grape.

It's understandable that not everyone wants to install 4 ceiling speakers in their attics because it can be a PITA. It was horrible for me in the attic at 100F+ degrees temp. I had to cut through a bunch of THICK heavy FOAM insulation in my attic. It was a total PITA. Say no more.

Don't need to sound so spiteful/bitter about it. OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER again YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR.
I hear you, I don't mean to come across as spiteful, just giving my opinion. Offering some criticism. I love immersive audio if done right. I just picked up a UHD Blu-Ray concert video with Atmos and Auro-3D sound (using DTS-Master audio) and it sounds good.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I am not a big movie watcher. I do have a number of movies on BD Atmos discs though. What I find is that the producers are scared to put any real power on the overhead speakers and especially the surrounds and backs. The only movie I have that really puts power all round. I think they are afraid of being accused of blowing up speakers and receivers. My impression is that the discs are not put together as nearly impressive as they could and should be.

I have one SACD that really puts power all round especially when coupled with the Dolby Upmixer. I have heard that disc has brought death to some systems however.
I don't blame sound mixers for not getting too aggressive with overhead sounds, doing so would take away from the movie and become an unrealistic distraction.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis