This dude makes good points in totally trashing Dolby Atmos...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Here is a great video:
He makes some great points. I could have made even more. Atmos is a technological failure on the whole. It's an encoding scheme that really only benefits high-end setups, and it has made sound quality worse for everyone else. What a gigantic waste.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
@shadyJ Atmos does work in some instances, but in reality it's a commercial failure and drives folks away from the hobby because for it to be done well, no "bouncy" speakers should be allowed, and therefore you need to put in ceiling (or on ceiling) speakers to start with. I know no one who will spend the $$ to install a good Atmos System in their home. If you say they'll need 13 speakers in a room their eyes glaze over, and they start talking about the weather, football, or something. :rolleyes:

I installed my Atmos System to Dolby Spec about 5 years ago. Do I regret it? No, but then I'm okay trying out new things that interest me. (Yes, I bought a couple of 3D TVs when they were the thing as well...o_O )

I'm always looking for good concert source material on Blu-ray, and if it happens to have Atmos or DTS-X great. If not I can play it in 7.2 or use an upmixer to make into something that sounds like 7.2.4. IMHO music doesn't need to be immersive for me to listen to it. But I did like the Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon in Atmos my youngest son gave me for Christmas. I thought it was well done considering the 50 year old master tapes that started with.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Atmos isn't a priority for me....those ceiling speakers are a lot of work for me (but would want them in the ceiling). I hope it isn't something producers are pressured into, I certainly don't look for Atmos content any more than I look to deal with ceiling install :) Isn't just running it thru the Atmos upmixer they've already run most of the available content thru good enough?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Here is a great video:
He makes some great points. I could have made even more. Atmos is a technological failure on the whole. It's an encoding scheme that really only benefits high-end setups, and it has made sound quality worse for everyone else. What a gigantic waste.
Ok may I ask what additional points you have to add before myself or anyone else breaks all of it down both the video and your points and offers our opinion?

I've watched his video and I must say I'm not impressed with his argument. I'd be happy to talk about why I feel that way. I even made a comment in his comment section.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Ok may I ask what additional points you have to add before myself or anyone else breaks all of it down both the video and your points and offers our opinion?

I've watched his video and I must say I'm not impressed with his argument. I'd be happy to talk about why I feel that way. I even made a comment in his comment section.
He touches on my main problem with Atmos: it is very complicated for typical users and does not have a great return in increased sound quality, at least on top of a traditional surround sound system. Hell, even traditional surround sound wasn't a huge improvement on top of a good stereo system. The vast majority of Atmos systems are cheapo consumer systems that simply do not work as advertised. They make everything worse by exchanging quality for quantity.

It also squanders the advantages of the potential of object-oriented sound mixes. The Atmos format as it stands now is a convoluted mess. And so much of it was wasted simply to get more money on licensed products. Object-oriented sound mixes had huge potential, and it is a travesty what Dolby has done to the concept. They took the idea and used it to make consumer audio worse on the whole.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
For some time, I've been saying "Atmos makes things sound different...it never made anything sound better."
Saying something like that on AVS leads to 300 pages of heated debate, and possibly a strange car parked across your street for a month.

Atmos to me is gimmicky, but not a total gimmick. If you really want all the bouncy/back and forth sounds from your ceiling, go for it.
Just don't pretend that the overall sound quality of your system goes up with those effects. For some reason when I hear adoration for Atmos, I think "Bose".

FOMO kinda started this...but dropped it pretty quick.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Here is a great video:
That guy missed the mark. His reference is an Atmos soundbar, no wonder he doesn't like the format. James, I think you're just being lazy and don't want to install height speakers in your ceiling. Atmos isn't a failure, their crappy bouncy house speakers were.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That guy missed the mark. His reference is an Atmos soundbar, no wonder he doesn't like the format. James, I think you're just being lazy and don't want to install height speakers in your ceiling. Atmos isn't a failure, their crappy bouncy house speakers were.
He is taking the view of the average consumer or a casual enthusiast, not the hardcore home theater nut. Atmos should not have been marketed as a solution for anything but serious home theaters. It has made entry and mid-level systems worse, not better. It has complicated hardware installation and media delivery. And it strangled the potential the tremendous potential of object-oriented audio. We could have had massive scalability and flexibility, but instead Dolby gives us almost none of that. All we get is gimmicky ceiling speakers - and even then only when the mix bothers to use them and when they are installed correctly, so I'm not even talking about bouncy speakers. Bouncy speakers are only the tip of the edge of the failure of Atmos. Atmos is a case of greed killing a budding technology that had great potential.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I love the posts everywhere when users freak the hell out because they cant get Atmos to light up on their equipment.
Usually from crappy streaming where it is the least effective.

Then they get it going, only to find out that it is usually 8-10 db quieter for no good reason (dynamic range and streaming dont mix), but that it's usually badly mixed and the center sounds like the My Pillow Guy is blocking the tweeter.

Even with all that, there is the general public assumption that if it's in Atmos...its gonna sound incredible.
Chris Nolan is getting tons of flak for Oppenheimer being in DTS-HD only, even though the sound is some of the best ever heard.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It is what it is. There are crappy Atmos mixes. The Dolby Surround up mixer deserves more credit. It can work wonders on 5.1 tracks. Though, the DTS Neural:X/Virtual:X up mixer wins with DTS HD tracks. I get choosing it over Dolby but f#%k, “Tenet” was just too much.o_O

jinjuku

jinjuku

The problem is the amount of effort that it takes to do it correctly. I've a basement that is a clean slate currently so it will be moderate effort. A finished space presents an issue. I wouldn't call someone lazy for not wanting to tear into a finished space.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've been using Atmos for a very long time now. Seen hundreds of ATMOS movies. Overall, I love it.

Yes, there are many sound mixers who don't care at all about ATMOS. So the soundtracks will not have good ATMOS sounds.

But there are plenty of sound mixers who love ATMOS. For example, I can tell that the sound mixer for the Netflix movie "Leave the World Behind" absolutely loves ATMOS because the soundtrack has great ATMOS sound.

ATMOS is great. But it's up to the sound mixers or directors in the end. Don't blame ATMOS for the sound mixers or directors (like Christopher Nolan) who don't care for ATMOS.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've a basement that is a clean slate currently so it will be moderate effort. A finished space presents an issue.
Understandable for sure.

Some situations might be too much effort. And not everyone is lucky enough to have a good room for it.

But, at the same time, I don't think it's fair to call something a "failure" just because we cannot have it in our homes.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
He is taking the view of the average consumer or a casual enthusiast, not the hardcore home theater nut. Atmos should not have been marketed as a solution for anything but serious home theaters. It has made entry and mid-level systems worse, not better. It has complicated hardware installation and media delivery. And it strangled the potential the tremendous potential of object-oriented audio. We could have had massive scalability and flexibility, but instead Dolby gives us almost none of that. All we get is gimmicky ceiling speakers - and even then only when the mix bothers to use them and when they are installed correctly, so I'm not even talking about bouncy speakers. Bouncy speakers are only the tip of the edge of the failure of Atmos. Atmos is a case of greed killing a budding technology that had great potential.
My first issue is how the guy tried out Atmos. Terrible setup I get he was trying to go off an average consumer but I know tons of average people that know better then to not do their research and the ones that don't will be happy with it anyway. They are the type of people happy with getting music off of their phone they will think their new Dolby Atmos sound bar sounds friggin awesome just like Bose owners think their lil cube setups were out of this world.

Second I've done 3 setups in 3 different places and 2 were finished rooms not treated and they sounded friggin awesome. They were also inexpensive to do. Especially the first one

Anything you do even 2 channel requires some effort on the buyer to set it up right or none of its going to work. But we live in a society that just expects to push a button drop it anywhere in the room they want and it just works. Instant gratification syndrome. Are we going to just stop 2 channel stereo setups because some people can't set it up in the ideal room?

And how can we control how mixers and studios choose to use the format (here's looking at you Disney) keep in mind their are still bad mixes for any type of 2 or multichannel content which is why neutral speakers are known to be very revealing of this garbage in garbage out ad it's called. Based on his and your experiences Shady we might as well not have any speakers or setups in our house at all.

The day might come where wireless technology and active speaker technology may develop where people can just stick their little box speakers and little 70hz fart boxes of subs in all the right spots click the button and run the internal room eq on these crap box kits and get halfway decent Atmos

But until then Dolby and every other format needs to make money so we can even have the ability to have high end theaters and gear for us enthusiasts so if they need to stick it on phones and laptops and soundbars and everything else I'm happy for them. They have to make a profit or we don't have have a hobby and you don't have a job

I'd feel a little more for the average consumer on this except they'll be ecstatic with what they are getting anyway so let them be happy with their new multichannel soundbars and virtual reality headphones and let the rest of us keep thr higher levels of this hobby going

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Im not saying this with any ill will to the average consumer. Or to the gentleman that posted that YouTube Video It's just if Dolby and other companies don't sell it some other b.s format will get pushed on the consumer that we can't utilize in our hobby and the oblivious masses will just eat it up. And those of us that want quality audio will be out of luck

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The problem is the amount of effort that it takes to do it correctly. I've a basement that is a clean slate currently so it will be moderate effort. A finished space presents an issue. I wouldn't call someone lazy for not wanting to tear into a finished space.
With on wall speakers that can mount on walls and ceilings s it's not that hard and you don't have to tear into the walls or the ceilings. Heck you can even run wires without going through the walls or attic. A little bit of decorative track moulding to hide the wires and your good to go

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Some of us were young adults for Quadraphonic !!
If you think Beatles records sounded goofy in Stereo, you should have heard them in 4 Channel !!
(why is Ringo in the back left corner ??)

jinjuku

jinjuku

With on wall speakers that can mount on walls and ceilings s it's not that hard and you don't have to tear into the walls or the ceilings. Heck you can even run wires without going through the walls or attic. A little bit of decorative track moulding to hide the wires and your good to go
This is the tearing into it part however. Now you have to cut drywall, fish cable, install mounting brackets, patch drywall, paint. I've been there and done that and it's a pain in the arse.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I found Benn's video entertaining, funny, and somewhat informative (at least for me). I agree that soundbars and bouncy speakers should've never been sold as "Atmos," but just like THX diluted its spec to near garbage, Dolby did the same to maximize profits.
While the guy clearly knows audio and mixing, his previous home theater (Onkyo HTIB) shows that he'd rather have a consumer entry-level audio system in his living room.
One of my problems with this video is he keeps repeating $500-1000 for the entire system as the Mid-Range Atmos system. I may have been spoiled, or my expectations heavily skewed as a result of spending a bit too much time on this site, but I strongly associate such budgets with very Low-end, where barely passing scores for the audio system is even possible (again, considering the entire multichannel system, speakers AND electronics)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Shady, you are absolutely on target as usual. He is pointing out the absolute absurdity, apart from the lining of a lot of pockets, by mass marketing this technology.

An Atmos soundbar, or even a 5.1 sound bar is an absolute absurdity and not only of no benefit, but downright harmful. Bouncy speakers of all types are in the same category.

This is very complex technology, and on this forum many gloss over the complexity of it, especially its implementation.

Very few rooms are suitable, and actually probably need to be built and designed custom, to make the technology effective. I am pretty sure that for most rooms it is a downgrade. The vast majority of domestic installations should be 2.1 or 3.1 and NO more. An extra sub excepted.

I would certainly have not started down this road, if was not for the fact it was the easiest way to store my spare speakers and amps.

When I moved out of Grand Forks, I thought it would be better to upgrade my front left and right speakers, although my studio speakers were really excellent. However I wanted to work with newer speaker design models.

The home we bought needed an extensive model anyway and we needed an extra bedroom. So remodelling a massive game room, to an AV room and the extra bedroom was a no brainer.

So using my location monitor speakers as surrounds, and building my main studio monitors into the room as the rear backs was a no brainer as well. I needed a pre-pro anyway to move into AV. So my added expense was minimal. It was the easiest way to store my equipment, especially my vintage gear I was loath to part with.

So, when due to age and health it was time to move off the lake, we decided to build, mainly as a "nursing home prevention project." It is built to ADA specs. So I included an AV room to optimum dimensions. So I decided to see what the Atmos craze was about. The only new equipment I required was a pre/pro which I needed anyway, as my wife wanted and in wall system in the great room, and a system the grandchildren could use in the family room. The only other expense was four ceiling speakers at $65.00 each and fashioning four .25 cu.ft particle board boxes and four ceiling grills and some extra speaker wire and conduit. So it was done very inexpensively. The ceiling speakers are excellent. The speakers were placed to Dolby specs.

So, it is actually a state of the art 7.2.4 Atmos room done on the cheap and largely making use of what I already had.

There is little good Atmos software available but getting better. One big negative is that Dolby have hobbled Atmos streaming in a significant way, by limiting peak audio levels. If Dolby parameters are exceeded then Internet providers are required to cut the stream. So providers stay well on the side of safety in my experience.

So, if you you are going to use these streams then you need a rig with excellent and superior SNR. With all the channels this is no mean feat.

I will say that the Dolby upmixer does do an excellent job, and does realistically increase spatial sense and atmosphere.

There is very limited true Atmos material available outside of movies. I now have a total of four BD Atmos discs of musical content. As far as movies, I note the producers and mixers are timid in the extreme about putting any power in any speakers apart from the front three. I suppose they are worried about blowing up puny surround speakers. But this really limits the benefit of it all.

The Berlin Philharmonic Digital Concert Hall are blazing a trail. It was off to a rocky start as you might expect, towards the end of last season, and especially this season, they are making significant strides. Some concerts are actually impressive.

However, the question remains would I have got into this if were not for the fact that I needed somewhere to put my surplus equipment, and the answer is a resounding no!

So, the question becomes should most members contemplate getting into this technology? In my view the answer is NO. There funds pretty much always would be better used to improve their front three speakers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis