Thinking of changing my speakers

S

Sir G

Enthusiast
Wow guys, thanks for all the great responses so far!!!! It seems the Cantons, DCM, Sony and Ultras are popular contenders. Where would the Elac speaker fit in here?

W

wje2

Audioholic Intern
Wow guys, thanks for all the great responses so far!!!! It seems the Cantons, DCM, Sony and Ultras are popular contenders. Where would the Elac speaker fit in here?
The list keeps growing. :D - I haven't tried the v2 of the Elac B6, but did have the first iteration of the speaker. I won't apply any comments to the original Elac B6 speaker because of the newer model. However, in an earlier post, I did reference that I also had the Wharfedale Diamond 225 speakers. They're currently selling for $299 a pair (US$). What HiFi gave them a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. Might want to add that one into the mix too.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Kurt, Im looking at the link to the Canton Ventos and note they are 4ohms. Do you think my Denon x3200 and first gen Emotiva amp will do them justice?
Sorry, this post somehow slipped by!
I can't give you a straight answer because of too many unknowns. For music, running as 2.1 system, I have absolutely no concerns. However, if you are running multi-channel stereo for all channels at once, this one of the most demanding scenarios and you would simply need to start with volume low and listen carefully for the start of audible distortion as you increase volume until you establish whether or not it will drive your speakers at the level you want to without problems!
HT is in between these two extremes.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Fixed it for ya!
The Sony's are one of the best bargain speakers and since they are often on sale for around $75, they easily beat out the Pioneer A Jones BS22's. However as long as the DCM TP160S is in the mix forget about the Sony's! I have both and TP160S are unquestionably a better speaker. I definitely don't mean to criticize those who recommend the Sony, because after the DCM's are sold out, I will be recommending the Sony CS5's again!
I have not listened to the Axioms so cannot say what is or isn't a significant upgrade to them. I can say that the TP160S is a significant upgrade to the Sony.
I would consider the TP160S a definite upgrade to the Elac UniFi (which I once owned, but not for long). IMHO, it is a mistake to attempt a 3 way at the pricepoint of the UniFi. I also feel like assuming you are running a subwoofer or two that the advantages of a three way design (especially at this pricepoint) are mostly lost. A 3 way trades the problems of adding another crossover point (almost always in the range where our hearing is very acute) to allow deeper extension and it just takes more than $500/pr to do this well.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Here you go
I can not speak for Axiom -- but even better than the TP160S speakers are the DCM TFE60 speakers which had a list price of $500 when they first came out. If interested, contact the seller and check on shipping to Jamaica

This is the center, and I like the fact that it has a raised tweeter -- use to list for $399
I can recommend Canton from Acessories4less.com They sell these as new. They aren’t used or refurbished.
In your budget the Chrono SL 536.2 Bookshelves with Chrono SL 556.2 center together for less than $900
You may even add Chrono SL 526.2 Bookshelves for surrounds or if you like on-wall the Chrono SL 516.2.
These all have the same ceramic coated aluminum tweeters of the top end Cantons.
*Just be sure you buy SL xxx.2 series because the former series had aluminum manganese tweeters, a step down.
If it were me, I would not look beyond the offerings recommended above!
Here are the Cantons:
Note that the Cantons are also available from A4L in White if that is your preference!

IMHO, the DCM's are the bargain of the decade! They are quality speakers for next to nothing!
I have not heard the TFE60 series that Zieglj01 recommends, but I have been following his posts long enough and have listened to enough of the same speakers to trust his opinions!
The dilemma is that as good as the DCM's are, it take a very good speaker to be decisively better! And as highly discounted as the DCM's are, the price jump will be steep (not compared to your suggested budget, but compared to the cost of the DCM;s).
Earlier models of the Chrono series used the Aluminium Magnese tweeters which were good, but not great, but now the Chrono has the Ceramic tweeter trickled down from Canton's Vento series. On-axis*, I put this tweeter in the same category as the RAAL and the Focal Beryllium tweeters - it is world class for clarity and clean (not harsh). The Vento series includes an expensive to manufacture pressed curved cabinet. I have the above Chrono SL center and it matches very well with my Vento mains, so I am inclined to believe the Chrono are Vento in a standard box! The Chrono is a sturdy box and I think more aesthetics than function is sacrificed going from Vento to Chrono!

* I say on-axis, because Canton does use a wave guide for this driver. To my ear, this is a mixed bag. when I compare to to the Philharmonic BMR's the BMR's with their extremely great polar response are overall superior, but it is not at all absolute; it depends on the music and instrumentation.

So we are talking around
$163 for the TP160 front 3,
$330 for the TFE60 front 3, and
$850-900 for the Chrono SL (with Ceramic tweeter) front 3.

Pick your price!

And looking at this list, I have to say now is a great time to be buying speakers!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Jim, you may have gotten these mixed up, but the Chrono SL-536.2 is available for only another $40 and upgrades the tweeter to the same Ceramic model currently used in the Vento series!
Also it is a proper match for the above center which also uses the ceramic tweeter!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If it were me, I would not look beyond the offerings recommended above!
Here are the Cantons:
Note that the Cantons are also available from A4L in White if that is your preference!

IMHO, the DCM's are the bargain of the decade! They are quality speakers for next to nothing!
I have not heard the TFE60 series that Zieglj01 recommends, but I have been following his posts long enough and have listened to enough of the same speakers to trust his opinions!
The dilemma is that as good as the DCM's are, it take a very good speaker to be decisively better! And as highly discounted as the DCM's are, the price jump will be steep (not compared to your suggested budget, but compared to the cost of the DCM;s).
Earlier models of the Chrono series used the Aluminium Magnese tweeters which were good, but not great, but now the Chrono has the Ceramic tweeter trickled down from Canton's Vento series. On-axis*, I put this tweeter in the same category as the RAAL and the Focal Beryllium tweeters - it is world class for clarity and clean (not harsh). The Vento series includes an expensive to manufacture pressed curved cabinet. I have the above Chrono SL center and it matches very well with my Vento mains, so I am inclined to believe the Chrono are Vento in a standard box! The Chrono is a sturdy box and I think more aesthetics than function is sacrificed going from Vento to Chrono!

* I say on-axis, because Canton does use a wave guide for this driver. To my ear, this is a mixed bag. when I compare to to the Philharmonic BMR's the BMR's with their extremely great polar response are overall superior, but it is not at all absolute; it depends on the music and instrumentation.

So we are talking around
$163 for the TP160 front 3,
$330 for the TFE60 front 3, and
$850-900 for the Chrono SL (with Ceramic tweeter) front 3.

Pick your price!

And looking at this list, I have to say now is a great time to be buying speakers!
Of those I'd go with the Chronos. The DCMs really are an amazing value, but I think the Cantons are a real step up from the TP160S and I would assume the TFE60 as well (tho I have not heard the TFE60, it is definitely not as pretty as the Chronos), but should probably let Zieg weigh in there. I'm basing all of that on the assumption that the Chronos can hang with my Ultras, if not even best them...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Jim, you may have gotten these mixed up, but the Chrono SL-536.2 is available for only another $40 and upgrades the tweeter to the same Ceramic model currently used in the Vento series!
Also it is a proper match for the above center which also uses the ceramic tweeter!
You guys are right -- well done

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Of those I'd go with the Chronos. The DCMs really are an amazing value, but I think the Cantons are a real step up from the TP160S and I would assume the TFE60 as well (tho I have not heard the TFE60, it is definitely not as pretty as the Chronos), but should probably let Zieg weigh in there. I'm basing all of that on the assumption that the Chronos can hang with my Ultras, if not even best them...
If one has the funds, then the Canton SL -- if on a tight budget, then the DCM TFE60 -- if one needs to grab something for now and save for next year, then the DCM TP160S

M

MTSound

Audioholic Intern
How would you rate the tfe series to the canton gle series and the klipsch reference series for a 5.1

Tfe100, tfe 60 with center and hsu sub for $1150

Canton gle small 5.1.2 for $1299

Canton gle large 5.1.2 for $1699

klipsch r820f 5.1 system for $1425

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
How would you rate the tfe series to the canton gle series and the klipsch reference series for a 5.1

Tfe100, tfe 60 with center and hsu sub for $1150

Canton gle small 5.1.2 for $1399

klipsch r820f 5.1 system for $1425
The DCM TFE set with HSU sub would be my choice ... and for $83 more, add a pair of the TP160S for surrounds

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
HSU subs are awesome!

I have dual HSU VTF2 mk5 subs in my living room.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis