Thinking of changing my speakers

C

CHEF_Canada

Audiophyte
Check out the new monitor SE series. I just bought the center channel speaker from that line to pair with some older paradigm monitor 9 v.6's Long story short they sound great but are worth buying for the excellent tweeters formerly used in speakers they sold for 17k each. Haven't found other speaker lines that offer such great performance for such a low price.

D

daddyora

Enthusiast
this is interesting. I'm also looking to upgrade my front L/C/R from Elac debut 2.0 (BS 5.2). Mostly HT (5.1.2) use but some light rock/blues music as well. Dialog is critical for me and I have the Kef LS50, Ascend Sierra 2's, and Elac Uni-Fi's or Carina series on my evaluation list but had not looked at the Canton's until now. I am interested in the 3-way design (2.5 ?) since it dedicates a driver to the dialog frequency range. I also have some concerns about the 4-amp ratings but I will be using a good sub so maybe the 4 amp concern isn't too important. Any comments on dialog comparison ?

D

daddyora

Enthusiast
I have SVS Ultra speakers and love 'em. I bought all of mine from their outlet and saved some bucks. They post pics of any "damage" (usually so minor as to be invisible) so be sure to check them out. Same warranties and return policy as new. The ones I got look and sound beautiful.

*Edit: They have some white ones in there right now!
Pogre, you're the only one to mention the SVS Ultra and, since you have first-hand knowledge, have you done any comparison of the Ultras vs other speakers mentioned in this posting ? I'm most interested in dialog clarity.

W

wje2

Audioholic Intern
I made the mistake of watching one of Gene's recent videos on You Tube where he referenced the Sony SSCS5. I mean, Sony, c'mon? Seriously? Well, my interested was piqued. They're currently on sale for about $75 on Amazon, Best Buy, etc. Normally, $149.00 a pair. Being that the OP mentioned they have Axiom, I think the Sony might well be worth a listen. They have super tweeters and regular tweeters in the cabinets along with 5" woofers. Since I have a pair of subs, introduced at 75 Hz, the 50 Hz or so bass cut-off on the Sony speakers isn't a big deal. I'd love to compare the Sony speakers against the $5,999 B&W 805D3 when it comes to vocals and higher frequencies. While the Sony is very detailed, I don't find myself getting fatigued by the sound like I previously would by metallic domed tweeters. At $75 a pair, call me impressed. You no longer have to spend an arm and a leg getting decent sound. For the record, I also own Focal 1008BE and Wharfedale Diamond 225 speakers along with some older Infinity Beta 20s that sold in the $400 range back in the day.

S

Sir G

Enthusiast
Yep...i too was a bit surprised at the Sony recommendation- never saw that one coming. How would you compare them to the Axioms?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Another really good buy a few of us have been impressed by are these DCM TP160S bookshelf speakers on ebay right now for only $83 a pair! I bought a pair and can confirm they're very, very good speakers that can hang with much more expensive ones.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Pogre, you're the only one to mention the SVS Ultra and, since you have first-hand knowledge, have you done any comparison of the Ultras vs other speakers mentioned in this posting ? I'm most interested in dialog clarity.
I missed that you'd quoted me until just now. My apologies, I didn't mean to blow you off!

I do not have any experience with the others mentioned so far so I can only comment on the Ultras, which I love. They're very neutral, have great imaging and large soundstage. They maintain their composure really, really well at high volumes. Crystal clear at reference levels and solid bass down into the high 40 hz range (bookshelf speakers).

Of the others suggested here, the Cantons really get my attention too. If they were available at the prices they are now at AC4L when I was still researching I might have gone with them instead.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
What center would you use through?
Here you go

Separate

Or, buy 3 pair of the bookshelf and use 1 each vertical as a center

And look at this deal

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Did you notice that they're "limited supply" now? I just saw that.
Moving fast -- how many people can say that they have sold nearly 200 pairs of the same model and color bookshelf speakers in less than 3 months

S

Sir G

Enthusiast
Hmmm....the price points are good on these as well as the Sony; but the issue in my mind is...are they a step up from the Axioms or just a lateral move?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I can recommend Canton from Acessories4less.com They sell these as new. They aren’t used or refurbished.
In your budget the Chrono SL 536.2 Bookshelves with Chrono SL 556.2 center together for less than $900
You may even add Chrono SL 526.2 Bookshelves for surrounds or if you like on-wall the Chrono SL 516.2.
These all have the same ceramic coated aluminum tweeters of the top end Cantons.
*Just be sure you buy SL xxx.2 series because the former series had aluminum manganese tweeters, a step down.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Hmmm....the price points are good on these as well as the Sony; but the issue in my mind is...are they a step up from the Axioms or just a lateral move?
I can not speak for Axiom -- but even better than the TP160S speakers are the DCM TFE60 speakers which had a list price of $500 when they first came out. If interested, contact the seller and check on shipping to Jamaica

This is the center, and I like the fact that it has a raised tweeter -- use to list for $399

W

wje2

Audioholic Intern
Yep...i too was a bit surprised at the Sony recommendation- never saw that one coming. How would you compare them to the Axioms?
I had the Axiom M22 speakers and their center channel several years back. I had them for less than a week. The sound was just too "brittle" or "ear piercing" to my ears and I felt I wouldn't enjoy them for very long. Granted, speakers are subjective to each of our own hearing and enjoyment. However, the type of detail heard from the Sony is quite different to my ears. Very good instrument separation, percussion is very enjoyable, etc. Bear in mind, I'm using them in a music only system. But, I'm sure they would be excellent for home theater use because the dialog would come across quite clearly.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I had the Axiom M22 speakers and their center channel several years back. I had them for less than a week. The sound was just too "brittle" or "ear piercing" to my ears and I felt I wouldn't enjoy them for very long. Granted, speakers are subjective to each of our own hearing and enjoyment. However, the type of detail heard from the Sony is quite different to my ears. Very good instrument separation, percussion is very enjoyable, etc. Bear in mind, I'm using them in a music only system. But, I'm sure they would be excellent for home theater use because the dialog would come across quite clearly.
I think @KEW has experience with the Sony's and ranked the TP160S as sounding quite a bit better, but I'm a little foggy on that. I just pinged him so maybe he'll chime in. In my personal experience I think that the TP160S could be selling for $350 - $500, they're that good.

*Edit: I haven't heard the Axioms, but going strictly by their price point I think I'd aim higher for a significant upgrade. Now we're back to the Cantons or Ultras... lol.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis