Thinking of changing my speakers

S

Sir G

Enthusiast
Good day Audioholics family!!
My home theatre is 18ft x 12ft and I have been using the following speakers for over a decade:
Mains - Axiom M3 V2 bookshelves
Center -Axiom VP100 V2
Surrounds - Mirage Omni Sats
These are being driven by a Denon AVR x3200 (as a pre) and an Emotiva LPA-1 amp

I'm currently listening to more music (music 60% / movies 40%) and therefore looking to change the axioms. The suggestion is that I try KEF LS speakers, and while these are outside my budget ($600 for mains and another $600 for center), I note that they can be had on A4L at times for these prices.

My questions are:
1. Should I go for the reconditioned KEF on A4L & are they worth the money?
2. Can my rig drive these speakers as I read where they need high current/ high power amps?
3.What other speakers in my price range would you recommend as replacements for the Axioms?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How can anyone tell you what your preference in speakers are? It's so subjective....

What's wrong with the Axioms for music? You mean Kef LS50s ?

Have you tried to audition (or can you) any other speakers yet?

S

Sir G

Enthusiast
I left out the most important details guys: I live in Jamaica and do not have the luxury of auditioning a range of speakers. And even when I visit the US (Florida or New York...which is once a year) I cannot find good audio stores or have the time to do instore listening.....best buy?....no.

Over the years I have depended on the reviews of people like Gene, Clint, Shady J, etc as a basic guide on this audio journey...in fact, my entire setup has been based on the info I get from this site!!!.

I am fully aware that speaker preferences are subjective, therefore all I'm asking for are suggestions. In the past I've had the budget speakers from JBL, Sound Dynamics, Paradigm and Klipsch. A couple years back i bought the Pioneers by Andrew Jones for some family members in New York and liked the way they sounded.

With all that being said, i've never really ventured into the hight end of things and just wanted to hear from you guys

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Gonna avoid the KEF conversation...

but what is your goal? Music vs HT is a tired myth. Good speakers will reproduce sound well, whether it’s spoken word, music or special effects.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I left out the most important details guys: I live in Jamaica and do not have the luxury of auditioning a range of speakers. And even when I visit the US (Florida or New York...which is once a year) I cannot find good audio stores or have the time to do instore listening.....best buy?....no.

Over the years I have depended on the reviews of people like Gene, Clint, Shady J, etc as a basic guide on this audio journey...in fact, my entire setup has been based on the info I get from this site!!!.

I am fully aware that speaker preferences are subjective, therefore all I'm asking for are suggestions. In the past I've had the budget speakers from JBL, Sound Dynamics, Paradigm and Klipsch. A couple years back i bought the Pioneers by Andrew Jones for some family members in New York and liked the way they sounded.

With all that being said, i've never really ventured into the hight end of things and just wanted to hear from you guys
Cool.
What’s your budget?
Listening distance?
And you want a new front three, correct?

S

Sir G

Enthusiast
Budget as i said is currently $600 for mains & another $600 maybe for center (this may change later). Listening distance is 10 feet

S

Sir G

Enthusiast
I asked about the KEF because a friend suggested them (no he doesn't have a pair I could listen).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
More information is good, both location and past experience. What were those particular speakers previously? Experiences and reasons for change may help, too. I wouldn't call $600 per speaker particularly high end but could yield some interesting choices (and I'd think about having the same speaker across the front).

S

Sir G

Enthusiast
@lovinthehd ...wow those speakers were so long ago i dont even remember the models!!! Yeah, i know $600 is not hight end by any stretch..LOL. I'm using a UFW10 from AV123

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@lovinthehd ...wow those speakers were so long ago i dont even remember the models!!! Yeah, i know $600 is not hight end by any stretch..LOL. I'm using a UFW10 from AV123
While I've heard nice things about the LS50, they do need support of a sub for most it seems so was curious if you had one or not since you didn't mention it (as well as for your current speakers) Unless you're trying to drive them to their limits they'd probably play nice with your current avr for the most part.

Maybe also think about something like the SVS Ultra bookshelves, Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1s or 2s,

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
While I've heard nice things about the LS50, they do need support of a sub for most it seems so was curious if you had one or not since you didn't mention it (as well as for your current speakers) Unless you're trying to drive them to their limits they'd probably play nice with your current avr for the most part.

Maybe also think about something like the SVS Ultra bookshelves, Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1s or 2s,
I have SVS Ultra speakers and love 'em. I bought all of mine from their outlet and saved some bucks. They post pics of any "damage" (usually so minor as to be invisible) so be sure to check them out. Same warranties and return policy as new. The ones I got look and sound beautiful.

*Edit: They have some white ones in there right now!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
How loud so you like to listen? What size room are the speakers going in, and how far will you be seated from the speakers?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
From my perspective, the LS50 is a speaker that should be listened to before committing to it.
The imaging is probably better than any other speaker I have ever heard!
The detail is excellent as were most other aspects of these well designed speakers.
However, while I certainly recognize and understand why these are such popular speakers, there was something about their "presence/ambiance" that did not work for me. Since I heard them, I have been paying attention and seen only a small handful of others who, like me, were not wooed by them. Statistically, you will probably love them, but it is a gamble. I'm sure you could find a pair to listen to your next time in the states if you make it a point to. If nothing else, a friend here could order through Crutchfield with a $15 return fee if you decide to send back.

But if I look at it as you have $1200 for L, C, & R; I would suggest you buy Canton Vento for R&L and the Canton Chrono center linked below. Right now this exceeds your budget at $1350, but I'd bet that come Black Friday, A4L will discount enough to make up the $150!
IMHO, the ceramic tweeter used in the Vento series is too good for you not to spend another $150 and get it for all three speakers! Note that this particular Chrono center has the ceramic tweeter (as a trickle down into the top end of the latest generation of Chrono). Unfortunately, that is the only Chrono A4L currently sells that uses the Ceramic tweeter. I expect next year to see several Chrono models which use this Ceramic tweeter.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cantvento826.2blka/canton-vento-826.2-6-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-black-pair/1.html
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cantchronosl556.2blka/canton-chrono-sl-556.2-6-3-way-channel-speaker-black/1.html

Last edited:
S

Sir G

Enthusiast
Thanks all for the great response so far.

@shadyJ...I do moderate listening (average -35db) in an 18L x 12w x 10H room with tiled floor that has throw rug. The listening distance is approximately 10feet.

BTW...I've see where good things are being said here on the Klipsch reference 160; the ones I've listened in the past were pretty harsh...are these that much better?

S

Sir G

Enthusiast
From my perspective, the LS50 is a speaker that should be listened to before committing to it.
The imaging is probably better than any other speaker I have ever heard!
The detail is excellent as were most other aspects of these well designed speakers.
However, while I certainly recognize and understand why these are such popular speakers, there was something about their "presence/ambiance" that did not work for me. Since I heard them, I have been paying attention and seen only a small handful of others who, like me, were not wooed by them. Statistically, you will probably love them, but it is a gamble. I'm sure you could find a pair to listen to your next time in the states if you make it a point to. If nothing else, a friend here could order through Crutchfield with a $15 return fee if you decide to send back.

But if I look at it as you have $1200 for L, C, & R; I would suggest you buy Canton Vento for R&L and the Canton Chrono center linked below. Right now this exceeds your budget at $1350, but I'd bet that come Black Friday, A4L will discount enough to make up the $150!
INHO, the ceramic tweeter used in the Vento series is too good for you not to spend another $150 and get it for all three speakers! Note that this particular Chrono center has the ceramic tweeter (as a trickle down into the top end of the latest generation of Chrono). Unfortunately, that is the only Chrono A4L currently sells that uses the Ceramic tweeter. I expect next year to see several Chrono models which use this Ceramic tweeter.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cantvento826.2blka/canton-vento-826.2-6-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-black-pair/1.html
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cantchronosl556.2blka/canton-chrono-sl-556.2-6-3-way-channel-speaker-black/1.html
Thanks Kurt, I always like your insight on these topics

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
BTW...I've see where good things are being said here on the Klipsch reference 160; the ones I've listened in the past were pretty harsh...are these that much better?
If you are talking about the RP-160m, I can vouch for it not having the kind of harshness I had come to associate with Klipsch from previous years. There are still some unique artifacts to the horn (maybe it is the ratio of direct to reflected sound associated with the horn). I don't mind them at all, but I do feel that a buyer should definitely listen to them before committing.

S

Sir G

Enthusiast
Kurt, Im looking at the link to the Canton Ventos and note they are 4ohms. Do you think my Denon x3200 and first gen Emotiva amp will do them justice?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis