The Upgrade Company is a Sham?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... - better details since the electrons are aligned now 20% better (??!!!%$^)
:)
Aligned? To the North Pole? Themselves? To the users persona? Better be specific;):D

J

jamie2112

Banned
Ok I have spent some time looking into these so called upgrades and I am of the opinion( yes we are allowed by law to have them) that he will not share what he uses and what you are actually paying for.In other words send me $1500 and I will make your cd player sound better.Since the memory for your ears is 20 seconds or so how would anyone really be able to tell?I want to see PROOF of these so called improvments. If you cannot or will not produce them then IMO you are a snake oil salesman. I am sure you have a clientele as people spend $1000's on cables that measure the same as a coat hanger in 3rd party tests yet still swear they HEAR a difference. Again show us the PROOF or be prepared to have people question your shady buisness practices.

highfigh

highfigh

Ok I have spent some time looking into these so called upgrades and I am of the opinion( yes we are allowed by law to have them) that he will not share what he uses and what you are actually paying for.In other words send me $1500 and I will make your cd player sound better.Since the memory for your ears is 20 seconds or so how would anyone really be able to tell?I want to see PROOF of these so called improvments. If you cannot or will not produce them then IMO you are a snake oil salesman. I am sure you have a clientele as people spend $1000's on cables that measure the same as a coat hanger in 3rd party tests yet still swear they HEAR a difference. Again show us the PROOF or be prepared to have people question your shady business practices.
Did the photos make the caps at the rear look like the shrink-fit labels were removed? That alone makes me suspicious. Military grade parts are well marked because they need to go in the right positions. The fact that so many of the caps weren't mounted as straight as the OEM parts also fails to impress me. That plastic wrapped wiring on the left side wasn't particularly attractive, either.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm so fixated with the visual aspect but lead dress is an important part of how some things can be reliable and produce the sound they should. Even an old Fender guitar amp had much better layout than almost all of their contemporaries and a large number are still working well, including mine. People have commented on how quiet it is and it was built in 1958.

highfigh

highfigh

Maybe you should turn it on once in a while, then it won't be so quiet;):D
Har, har.

If you know any guitar players and they have a copy of a book called 'The Soul Of Tone' by Tom Wheeler, it's on the CD of vintage amps, tracks 73-82.

L

Leonel R.

Enthusiast
Has anyone been to The Upgrade Company site lately? Seems as though he is using photos of players to sell his services but no photos of his work.

B

BWG707

Audioholic
Ok I have spent some time looking into these so called upgrades and I am of the opinion( yes we are allowed by law to have them) that he will not share what he uses and what you are actually paying for.In other words send me $1500 and I will make your cd player sound better.Since the memory for your ears is 20 seconds or so how would anyone really be able to tell?I want to see PROOF of these so called improvments. If you cannot or will not produce them then IMO you are a snake oil salesman. I am sure you have a clientele as people spend $1000's on cables that measure the same as a coat hanger in 3rd party tests yet still swear they HEAR a difference. Again show us the PROOF or be prepared to have people question your shady buisness practices.
On another audio forum he was asked many many times to produce measurements. Of course he never did. All he did was preach about his BBB rating. He thought that was "golden" and that alone should be enough to convince everybody that he was legit. The guy turned out to be a joke. He was caught many times contradicting himself. In the end he had lawyers contact computer forums to try and intimidate them to shut down the threads and postings. He actually said that he had measurements and he was going to post them then at the last minute he said he refuses to post them because he did not like the things that people on the forum were saying about his company. The guy is really a piece of work. Maybe we can get him to participate on this thread. He used to use the title MrHienaudio. I would be interested in hearing what he has to say nowadays.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64827&highlight=upgrade+company

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
WOW! I saw this post and checked out the drama on the AVS site. Lawyers, stolen property, shotty work, was like a soap opera. His way of doing business is so full of unknowns, why would someone send equipment and money to this guy?

DrJohnRead

DrJohnRead

Enthusiast
I think I am about to enter your crosshairs...so hopefully we can all have fun here and continue learning...ok here goes...

Whilst I appreciate your perspectives, and your right to post your views and call people a scammer and shameful...I can argue that you are simply leveraging a keyboard. And until you either pull down a unit, reproduce the tests he uses, and do some listening tests, then examine his customers feedback, you are really only having a cheap vent about his claims.

Oh and sometimes claims from a marketing perspective are generalist in nature...for better or for worse, retail is about caveat emptor, and contrary views such as yours carry the same clause too.

Please don't tell me about your qualifications though, until you pick a screwdriver and do something with them...

Ok ok that was very mmmmm...tough. I've got my book down my pants in case you want to spank me...but hey, a business doesn't exist without a market, and knowledge doesn't get better without some challenges.

DrJohnRead

DrJohnRead

Enthusiast
Thanks for being such a good joke Mark. I appreciate it. Let me know when you want to move this conversation forward out of the joke zone and into some real world action. So far you have cited others work, none of your own...I wonder if you have anything to contribute to this at all.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for being such a good joke Mark. I appreciate it. Let me know when you want to move this conversation forward out of the joke zone and into some real world action. So far you have cited others work, none of your own...I wonder if you have anything to contribute to this at all.
You're one to talk. The stats under our pictures give a pretty clear picture of who is zooming whom here.

I don't you've only got a book down your pants there, pal.

DrJohnRead

DrJohnRead

Enthusiast
Still not moving away from personal mode...hohum. I'll give this a break for a while and see if anyone real turns up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis